Verbal noun + する vs Verbal noun +をする?

So, I’ve recently started using iknow.jp to expand my vocab a bit and they have their handy little sentence trainer which is pretty decent. What’s been a little weird for me is that sometimes when they use verbal nouns (aka する verbs) they seem to usually use them by using the noun followed by the direct object particle and then する instead of just attaching する directly to it.

I’m sure both ways are correct, it’s just a matter of what the nuance or situation would be when using something like 勉強する vs 勉強をする or if they’re the exact same thing and it’s just preference?

Sometimes if you use a particular grammatical structure before the verb comes in, your hands are tied, but it basically does come down to preference.

If you start with 漢字の勉強, you have to go the をする route, because の can’t function as the direct object marker. To use 勉強する you have to replace the の with を for 漢字を勉強する。

So, there’s really not much difference, but depending on how things flow into each other, you may end up going one way or the other.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.