Vanilla's N5 Grammar and Reading Quiz

I’ve always felt like the N5 was too easy, so I decided to make my own! Almost all answers to these questions are particles or pieces of grammar, or words that can be found in an N5 textbook (with some exceptions). These questions come in varying difficulty, but as you can probably guess, on average they are much harder than the actual N5 (and in my opinion, N1). These questions were made by yours truly with sentences sourced from natives and reviewed by a native. The native who reviewed it thought it was a challenging quiz, so don’t feel bad if you miss a few.

There are 10 questions. Feel free to post your score below~.

Answers:
  1. イ
  2. ウ
  3. イ
  4. ア
  5. エ
  6. イ
  7. イ
  8. ア
  9. イ
  10. エ
Explanations
  1. てみろ can also be a conditional statement: Learn the basics of Japanese: 30 複文(1)-条件-

2. 今を頑張る is just doing your best in the now. を can mark what youre ganbareing at.

3. This is the 逆接 も. It means けど, basically. If you pull up a the dictionary page for も and scroll down enough, you should find an entry that basically says けれど. Ive seen this probably dozens of times in light novels, so chances are people who have read and didnt know it have seen it but didnt realize thats what it was! 逆接で、もを使うの流行っているんですか?私はもを使うなんて学校で習いませんでし... - Yahoo!知恵袋

4. This is just ピアノが上手い.

5. と marks a limit here
    (数量を表す語に付き、打消しの表現を伴って)その範囲以上には出ない意を表す。…までも。「全部で一〇〇円―かからない」「一〇〇キロ―走らなかった」

6. だけ can be used in a similar fashion to ほど in these constructs.

7. This is the 反事実 usage of ている.
    国際交流基金 - 日本語教育通信 文法を楽しく ~ている・~ていた(2)

8. を can be used to mark the targets of like and hate, especially when followed by になる. It also helps clear up ambiguity in some cases

I don’t actually think the N5 is too easy and this is just meant to be a fun themed quiz for more intermediate or advanced learners.

29 Likes

I got 8 out of 10. I can pass N5!

17 Likes

5/10
This result means I’m girigiri N5 :frowning_face:
Had a good laugh with the options of the last one ^^ (got it right XD)

Sentence 5 was a bit strange for me. Does it mean I only take taxis in a range where it’s cheaper than 1000yen?
Could have sworn 4 is e. So much for my particle knowledge :sob:

Every now and then Vanilla poses a challenge. It’s always a lot of fun, so please keep em coming. Good work!

5 Likes

Its a distance that if you use a taxi it wont even cost 1000 yen. In more natural english its “It’s less than 1000 yen by taxi”. It uses と to mark an upper limit

I do believe its the same と as 二度としない if you know that.

2 Likes

I only got about half right from the first part but at least the last two were easier (though I got the last one right mostly because I remember seeing it in まちカドまぞく, even if it technically was as a character name there)

3 Likes

Yeah, thanks, the particle makes sense. Especially with your example. The fuckup probably happens more because the “won’t even cost 1000yen” modifies 距離 which felt strange to me. I think without 距離 I wouldn’t have facepalmed there as much.
Now after your explanation I don’t even know anymore how I misread that sentence -.-…

I think you should probably spoiler your helpful answer for others to not be spoiled ^^.

2 Likes

fixed! thanks

Big fat 4 out of 10, which I think is “better than pure guesswork” :slight_smile:

9 Likes

bro wtf :joy: Almost got me high blood pressure while trying this quiz thinking you legit made this as N5

As for how I did:
  1. Can’t recall having seen that kind of sentence before. I only know みろ in the sense of "やってもろよ :durtle_stabby: "
  2. Never heard of 今を before.
  3. Expected it to be みても, but with みる I couldn’t choose.
  4. Yay, finally got one right :sunglasses:
  5. I don’t think I’ve heard かかる used with と before, only に and が :thinking:
  6. And here I expected ほど but that wasn’t an option.
  7. Got this one right - only the past tense made sense here for me.
  8. Couldn’t choose, but I guess を makes the most sense
  9. Easy.
  10. This one too! :watermelon:

So… 4/10 :'D

6 Likes

1/10

Guess I’d best get to studying, eh :smiling_face_with_tear:

7 Likes

ほど and だけ can take on pretty similar meanings. That’s a good thing to know

だけ

[副助]名詞、活用語の連体形、一部の助詞に付く。

1 分量・程度・限度を表す。…ほど。…くらい。…かぎり。「走れる―走ってみよう」「どれ―の人が苦しんでいるか」

7 Likes

5/10, or really 5/8 because for two of them I had absolutely no idea, and I didn’t want wild guesses to accidentally give a right answer I didn’t deserve. :joy:

Which to be fair, still means 5/10, but it feels good that I had a 62,5% correct on those I thought I could answer. Although one of those (one of my wrong guesses) was mostly a blind stab that I shouldn’t have taken, then my % would have 70+% plus. :joy:

5 Likes

The real correct answer is that the quiz cannot be completed. It says to select from 1•2•3•4, but no such options are presented.

13 Likes

9/10. For the one I got wrong (first reading question), my second choice was the correct answer, and I was sure I’d seen that reading before, but I went with the reading that seemed to make the most semantic sense (i.e. the sentence obviously meant something) and chose エ instead. I’m actually kinda curious if there’s a rule for when the reading is ま. I was expecting it to be something like ‘only appears in old compounds not joined by の’, but I was wrong.

Still, to tell the truth, I did have to make some guesses, reason using (probably unsound) grammatical bullshit or just go by feel. Definitely didn’t know everything off the bat. The ones that were like that – #1 (‘Is this 放任法 with the imperative or something?’), #5 (‘Only this works grammatically and can mean something different from usual’), and #7 (‘Uh… counterfactual stuff, so this, right?’).

Would really love an explanation for #1 though. My guess: ‘If it rains tomorrow, just watch: the game will be cancelled.’ Is that what it’s supposed to mean? If it’s 放任法, then maybe something like ‘Let it rain. The match will be cancelled’, but I’m not convinced by that at all.

(#10 was just luck: I know other kanji readings, so I could just work by elimination. The options were hilarious though :rofl:)

Thanks for the fun quiz!

EDIT: Did a quick search for #1 and the 2nd result was a research paper. I skimmed it, and it seems my 2nd guess is closer to how it really works.

It seems one theory is that this structure really developed out of the 放任用法, but only when the action/occurrence is something the listener can control. If it’s something the listener can’t control, it’s supposedly historically related to 〜てみれば somehow, but I haven’t fully grasped why that happened.

The link to the paper (in Japanese; 26 pages) if anyone’s interested:

5 Likes

9/10!
I guessed 1 correctly, and 5 I half-guessed. The one I got wrong was 2. I was so sure it was 今に :frowning:

5 Likes

I got 5/10.

1. I honestly don’t understand how any of the options are reasonable. How does any form of てみる make sense here?
  2. Got this right, but wasn’t confident.
  3. Had absolutely no idea and honestly all of them still sound awkward to me.
  4. Got this right and was among the only questions I didn’t struggle with.
  5. Never seen that use of the と particle, so thanks for the explanation earlier.
  6. Not sure why I got this one wrong. I was expecting ほど which wasn’t an option, but I did hone in on the correct answer. Not sure why I wrote down a different answer though. (Suppose I just second guessed myself.)
  7. I have absolutely no idea why that answer is correct.
  8. Got this one right. I focused on it for a while to see if there was any way it could be は since I wasn’t sure if なんて had any impact on it. But in this case the obvious answer was the correct one.
  9. The only easy question in the whole quiz. :joy:
  10. This one was just a troll question, let’s be honest here. I did get it right though, simply because the readings lined up with my expectation while the other options were just silly.
5 Likes

Update for anyone who wants some explanations to the harder ones and is having trouble looking them up (@Jonapedia @seanblue )

Summary
  1. てみろ can also be a conditional statement: Learn the basics of Japanese: 30 複文(1)-条件-

2. 今を頑張る is just doing your best in the now.

3. This is the 逆接 も. It means けど, basically. If you pull up a the dictionary page for も and scroll down enough, you should find an entry that basically says けれど. Ive seen this probably dozens of times in light novels, so chances are people who have read and didnt know it have seen it but didnt realize thats what it was! 逆接で、もを使うの流行っているんですか?私はもを使うなんて学校で習いませんでし... - Yahoo!知恵袋

4. This is just ピアノが上手い.

5. と marks a limit here

6. だけ can be used in a similar fashion to ほど in these constructs.

7. This is the 反事実 usage of ている.
    国際交流基金 - 日本語教育通信 文法を楽しく ~ている・~ていた(2)

8. を can be used to mark the targets of like and hate, especially when followed by になる. It also helps clear up ambiguity in some cases

13 Likes

Damn Vanilla you totally got me there, I didn’t get the sarcasm at first and really got surprised that N5 was so tough :smiling_face_with_tear:
Thanks for showing that there is still a long way to go, I don’t mind I enjoy the journey, and inspiring to see everybody’s attemps! And I did get #4 right, so it’s a start :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks for taking it! I have my idea for my next quiz already and a few questions and it’s looking like the next one will probably be a bit more beginner friendly!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.