[Userscript] WaniKani Dashboard SRS and Leech Breakdown

That’s not a feature of this script…

Wonk :wink:

1 Like

Wasn’t it a feature of the original script?
So I tought it should work here aswell:

I only reimplemented the part of the script I cared about, so no that feature isn’t supported here.

I’m not sure I understand the educational value of knowing how many leeches there, but not being able to see a list of them. How is seeing that number helping me to learn?

Seeing an entire list of leeches serves no purpose. If you want to study your leeches, check out my Additional Filters add-on to Self Study. For me, seeing the total number separately helped me quantify if I was getting better or worse. If that doesn’t benefit you then don’t use this script.

I started using the additional filters to work on leeches (with rfindley’s self-study quiz), and that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for putting in the time to make these scripts.

1 Like

@Kumirei This script and your “Woah Burns” script. Nothing important, just wanted to let you know :slightly_smiling_face: And bother you about it not lining up :caught_durtling: Definitely more noticable than the tiny corner on the levels script tho :laughing:

2 Likes

I keep telling myself I’ll do it another day… Yet here I am, glaring at it

3 Likes

Fixed! You can tell your image to stop staring at me now

4 Likes

Sorry for the idiot question - what do the breakdown figures actually mean in Apprentice and Guru boxes please?

Apprentice and Guru consist of 4 and 2 respectively different SRS stages.
Apprentice is what WK calls SRS stages 1-4, Guru is 5-6. Normally they’re shown as just one number, but this script allows you to see all the stages.

1 Like

Thanks Kumirei!

And one more question please.

At the moment my Apprentice box shows:

1/10/24/68
1/10/24/68

And in the bottom rhs a grey box with 73 - what is this figure?

Thanks again

Charles

It’s some kind of leech count. I think it’s better if @seanblue answered this. I don’t actually use the script

This is the number of leeches you have. Which is to say, the number of items you keep getting wrong over and over again and just won’t stick.

The formula used is arbitrary, so it’s mostly useful as a relative metric. If it keeps going up that’s bad. If it goes down that’s good.

Many thanks @seanblue - that makes complete sense now, I’ll start keeping a diary note to see how I do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, @seanblue.

Thanks for the script! I do see value in seeing the total number of leeches.

Could you please confirm my understanding of this screenshot, though:

After reading through most of the above, I think I’ve got it right but would like to confirm. Please correct me if anything below is incorrect:

The number 37 (normally shown in gray, but shown in black in the larger font when hovering) is the current number of leeches in the Apprentice bucket.

There are currently 3 leeches in stage 1, 14 in stage 3, and 20 in stage 4 (for a total of 37). This is shown in the tooltip when hovering.

I currently have 99 items total in the Apprentice bucket (stages 1-4). Three in stage 1, 9 in stage 2, 50 in stage 3, and 37 in stage 4. Not related to the script, but as shown on the right by WK when hovering, 3 of the 99 are radicals, 47 are kanji, and 51 are vocabulary.

So all three items in stage 1 are leeches, 14 of 50 in stage 3 are leeches, and 20 of 37 in stage 4 are leeches. In total, about a third (37/99) of the items in my Apprentice bucket are currently leeches (which is a little disheartening but sounds about right! :-).

Thanks!

Yep, you got everything right! It can definitely be disheartening to see that a high percentage of Apprentice items are leeches. But on the other hand, you can’t improve your situation until you know what the problem is, so I think it’s better to know. Good luck!

1 Like

Blind hogs, acorns, … :slight_smile:

All that detailed breakdown actually made it a bit harder to understand. Personally, I don’t see much value in the breakdown by stage (nor the breakdown by radical/kanji/vocab, not that that has anything to do with your script).

I’m wondering if the percentage of leeches might be more (or at least as) interesting as the total number of leeches in each “bucket.” I don’t seem to remember the total number of leeches in each category, but the “about a third” realization really struck me.

Regardless, I’m hopeful that my leeches will eventually take care of themselves. Most are due to visually similar kanji (e.g.: 矢、失、夫) and homonyms (感心 vs 関心 being my current nemesis).

When I get surprised with a wrong answer or realize I keep seeing and failing the same item, I try to figure out why (the 似合い visually similar kanji script has proven invaluable). Usually, the solution is to make a new or additional mnemonic of some sort.

Thanks again for the script and the reply!

1 Like

Hi, @seanblue.

I’m curious about my one leech in the enlightened bucket:

How does that happen with only one stage in the enlightened bucket? I’ve not unburned anything that I’m aware of. Does an item’s “leechiness” stick around for a bit if you miss an item but later successfully move it to a subsequent stage?

If I’m using the self-study script correctly, the one item seems to be the vocabulary word 考える. Here are my stats for that word:

I’m trying (but failing) to understand the getLeechScore function logic in the script. I note the current streak (4) is only slightly less than the longest streak (5) for meaning.

I’m unsure how many incorrect meaning attempts the API returns, but if it’s 21% of 43 (i.e. 100% - 79%) that is about 9. So I think the “meaning score” calculated by the script is 9 / 4**1.5 or ~9/8. Since that’s > 1 the algorithm considers it a leech. Do I have that right?

I’m just trying to get a feel for what the algorithm considers a leech. I realize it’s a heuristic, but I’m trying to get an intuitive feel for the logic.

Thanks!

[The more I think about it, by the way, the more I think I would rather see a percentage than the absolute number of leeches.]

1 Like