[Userscript] Wanikani Dashboard Active Topics Panel

You know that panel on your dashboard, next to the forums? The one with the blog updates? Well, chances are you only ever saw posts looking like this:

Weekly Update 11/30 - 12/4

Now that’s not very useful, is it? And quite boring too, if you ask me. If you want to read the blog, just scroll down a bit more until you reach the footer. SOLVED. So let’s get rid of that panel.
But now there’s a huge, honking void on your dashboard!!! O NOOOO…

How about we replace it with something useful, eh?
Maybe a panel with forum topics you posted in?
That could be useful, mkay?

I call it (informally): THE USER PANEL TELEPORTATION SCRIPT ( 'cuz you don’t have to click two times to get to the user panel, get it?!)

I teleported it to the dashboard!

Features (v1.6)
 - See the last five of your active forum threads (threads where you made a post) that people replied to.
 - See the last five of your created forum threads (threads you made) that people replied to.

Planned features
 - Browse all your active topics, not just the top 5

How to BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY
- Make sure you have the Greasemonkey (Firefox) or Tampermonkey (other browsers) add-on installed, so you can enjoy userscripts.
- Go to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/15028-wanikani-dashboard-active-topics-panel
- Click the green button
- BOOM, DONE!

Change log:

v1.6
 - Cosmetic changes that should prevent the 5th item from disappearing

v1.5
 - Changed to a two column layout again

v1.4
 - Fixed issues caused by a WK update for the huge search function/ review debacle (and apparently they removed recent blog posts for no reason)

v1.3
 - Enhanced styling for users who don’t have the Clean Dashboard style

v1.2
 - Browse your Created Topics! Caution: don’t switch tabs before the panel is fully loaded. Neglect this and you will get very cool but unwanted effects.

v1.1
 - Fix styling to match the forum panel

v1.0
 - initial release

Note: this has been developed and tested in Firefox. Let me know if other browsers have difficulties.

LAST UPDATE CAUTION: don’t switch tabs before the panel is fully loaded. Neglect this and you will get very cool but unwanted effects.

すごい…

才人!

Aikibujin said... すごい...

才人!
 Jisho tells me すごい could be either terrible or amazing #onlyInJapan
I'll go with the latter, judging by 才人.

Thx!

まほうみたい

hoovard said... まほうみたい

![](upload://nLWtfxr58S3bzQddlam0TCGDb2e.png)
Mempo said...
Aikibujin said... すごい...

才人!
 Jisho tells me すごい could be either terrible or amazing #onlyInJapan
I'll go with the latter, judging by 才人.

Thx!
 LOL, yeah, think of it like the word incredible, but with a sense of awe inspiring terror about it. Like Godzilla!

And btw I’ve used the hell out of this feature already, kudos! :slight_smile:

This is a really useful one. Cheers Mempo! Added to the ever expanding list of scripts I’m running on this site.

And to think I didn’t even know what extensions were before joining here…

riccyjay said... This is a really useful one. Cheers Mempo! Added to the ever expanding list of scripts I'm running on this site.

And to think I didn't even know what extensions were before joining here...
 Lol, didn't know about them either, and now i've written several already. The things WK does to a person...

There will come a day when people won't even remember how vanilla WK is like

Could it show the timestamp as in forum section?

embe said... Could it show the timestamp as in forum section?

It does show the timestamp as in the forum section, but you've got to wait for some time and sometimes it never changes. The truth is I haven't looked into which piece of code from WK itself changes these timestamps,  but apparently it does so automatically. I'll probably write something that does the exact same thing but without the ridiculous wait time.

On Chrome, the height of the box’s title is double that of the Topic’s box.
http://snag.gy/YoXb0.jpg

Other than that, it works without a hitch!

crow said... On Chrome, the height of the box's title is double that of the Topic's box.

Yea, that's because you don't have my Clean Dashboard style installed. I sometimes forget that not many people have it while developing something new. I meant to fix that, but forgot about it. I'll do that in the next update though.

I like this a lot!  I was wondering, though, could we get a version where it shows the top 5 that aren't on the dashboard already in the recent community chat topics?  Like, if one of the ones it would show was in the recent community chat topics, it would switch it out for the next one down the list?  I don’t know how complicated this may or may not be to make happen, but I’ve had so many times where the new box shows exactly the same threads as the recent community chat topics box (because I’ve posted in all of them once or more) that I thought I’d ask… 

yumenokage said... I like this a lot!  I was wondering, though, could we get a version where it shows the top 5 that aren't on the dashboard already in the recent community chat topics?  Like, if one of the ones it would show was in the recent community chat topics, it would switch it out for the next one down the list?  I don't know how complicated this may or may not be to make happen, but I've had so many times where the new box shows exactly the same threads as the recent community chat topics box (because I've posted in all of them once or more) that I thought I'd ask... 
maybe the feature should rather be that if the two boxes are the same it should say in big letters ENOUGH POSTING ALREADY! BACK TO STUDYING! :-p

(no, seriously, i'd appreciate that as well but it sounds as if it could be complicated)

Thought about something like this for a while, thanks for taking it out of my brain and doing it, so I dont have to. ;○P
Will give it a try and most likely like it.

yumenokage said... I like this a lot!  I was wondering, though, could we get a version where it shows the top 5 that aren't on the dashboard already in the recent community chat topics?  Like, if one of the ones it would show was in the recent community chat topics, it would switch it out for the next one down the list?  I don't know how complicated this may or may not be to make happen, but I've had so many times where the new box shows exactly the same threads as the recent community chat topics box (because I've posted in all of them once or more) that I thought I'd ask... 
I'll write that down.

shikajitokashi said...
yumenokage said... [...]
maybe the feature should rather be that if the two boxes are the same it should say in big letters ENOUGH POSTING ALREADY! BACK TO STUDYING! :-p

(no, seriously, i'd appreciate that as well but it sounds as if it could be complicated)
 Lol, I know a few users who would definitely benefit from this ^^
Mempo said..

shikajitokashi said...
yumenokage said... [...]

Lol, I know a few users who would definitely benefit from this ^^
 to be fair, if you post in something even once it seems to consider you active forever, so if there are a bunch of longstanding threads on the board (like introductions) it's easy for this to happen. That said, I did just hit 800 posts, and I haven't been active for that long... '^_^  Will never beat Crunder on that account, though.  In about the same amount of time he has posted more than twice as much.  Mayucchi's position as #1 chattygator is very quickly crumbling.
Mempo said...
crow said... On Chrome, the height of the box's title is double that of the Topic's box.

Yea, that's because you don't have my Clean Dashboard style installed. I sometimes forget that not many people have it while developing something new. I meant to fix that, but forgot about it. I'll do that in the next update though.
 I would install that, but i like seeing my recent unlocks...
Heiopei said...
Mempo said...

I would install that, but i like seeing my recent unlocks...
 It partially defeats the purpose of the style, but I can add an option to leave the recent unlocks in.