[Userscript] Review Summary on the dashboard

I spotted another bug. I just finished my morning review session (112 reviewed items) but only 44 items are being shown in my review summary. (I use Firefox v. 111.0.1 + script v. 0.2)

Reviewed items (heatmap userscript):
s1

Review summary :

I did my review session in one go so 112 items should be displayed in my review summary.

EDIT : on Firefox 107.0.1 (+script v. 0.2), I got something different, with more (in fact too many) items displayed (131 items instead of 112).

2 Likes

I really cannot fathom why they got rid of the end of review summary recently. What a completely bone headed decision.

Imagine taking an exam then never being given your results. It’s utterly maddening.

4 Likes

You don’t happen to have multiple tabs open with WaniKani? I can explain the Firefox 107 behaviour - you likely installed the script fresh, in which case it loads reviews from the last 24 hours. Otherwise it loads reviews since your last visit to the dashboard, which can give surprising results if there are multiple windows open.

The update got rid of the concept of a session. This means there are no more session timeouts (something people complained about frequently) as well as issues with open sessions and burden on the server to cope with expiring sessions.
Without sessions there is no more natural grouping of reviews. The summary page used to display all reviews in a session, but now it’s tough to determine what should be displayed on any summary page.

The heatmap displays everything based on time (with a day end that can be configured in the settings, by default 12 midnight), but can’t break up the reviews done on separate times of day.
The Review Summary script displays everything since the last visit to the dashboard, which can theoretically break up single reviewing efforts if the dashboard is refreshed in a separate window.

Unfortunately “in one go” is a concept that can no longer be retrieved from the server. Because a freshly loaded script does display all the items, it’s not likely there is a problem with the item display itself. You can probably get more items to display in Firefox 111 as well by having it load the last 24 hours (which you can trigger by opening the script and putting a different number in the cache version constant).

What I can do is make the cache clearable in the settings - that way you can reset to a ‘last 24 hour view’ if the script doesn’t display everything you want, although it’s at the risk of displaying too much. I’m curious to see what direction WK is going with any native summary page. It should likely be a scrollable history of some sort - which is giving me some ideas for this script (like a cache with a longer memory). I’ll see what I can do, as the layout is also still jarring me.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes I probably had several wanikani tabs opened at the same time. I just completed a review session with only one opened tab and the review summary was working fine :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for the tip :blush:

Thanks but doing my reviews using a single tab to avoid problem is not an issue, this script is well enough to me :grinning: Thank you again!

2 Likes

I think it currently doesn’t work for me. I can see the percentage, but as soon as I click on the show-more-arrow, nothing happens. In the console I can see the following error:

Few Details:

• Windows 11
  • Tried it on Firefox (111.0.1) and Google Chrome (111.0.5563.147)
  • Tried to logout and back in (in WK)
  • Cleared Cookies and Cache
  • Tampermonkey 4.18.1
  • WaniKani Open Framework 1.1.0
  • WaniKani Review Summary 0.2
1 Like

The chevron (^) only serves to show/hide the percentage. If you can already see the percentage, you can click on that and it should open the window. It’s not the most intuitive, I’ll admit. Maybe I can change it so a click on the tile opens the window instead and simply have the percentage separately visible/hideable.
The 304 from fetching reviews usually means it has no new reviews to fetch and is a warning, even though it’s displayed as error.

2 Likes

I should change that to be a warning, or just not show at all…

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I completely missed that part of your post. Thanks for explaining it again! It works now, it just wasn’t very intuitive. But that doesn’t really matter, the functionality is much more important.

Thanks for the nice script!

1 Like

Thank you! I feel like this was the last bit I personally needed for Wanikani to be (almost) as functional as it was before the update. Back in business!

2 Likes

This is great!

I’m hoping it shows me my errors from a review done 1-2 days ago… Let’s find out!

Thanks for cobbling this together for us, 先輩さま! (Heehee, I know that’s redundant.)

EDIT: Thank you! Not only is this working as expected, but it seems my last chunk of reviews were “new” enough that you can tell me what I did wrong!
Now just to change the settings a little so I see “all” automatically, and I’m set 'til WK fixes this for real.
(Wow, I’m using Firefox 95.0.2 (64 bit, Windows 10) — I knew it wasn’t updated in a while, but seeing how this doesn’t look like it’s working with the latest Firefox, I’m holding to my decision to stay in the past! ^_^; I checked since I’m having a perfect working script with my version.)

3 Likes
Click for image

Great idea, Mrs_Diss! I agree.

Actually, @rwesterhof, I’d personally prefer these numbers added over the cleanup… (but then again, I don’t mind the mess so much, as long as it’s readable, which it totally is.) Though the initial screenshot to prompt this where the items were bleeding out over the dark grey box was a little much. (Readable, but looks like an error/problem.) Thanks again so much for developing this!

4 Likes

It’s Glorious!

When Something Blows Your Mind | Best Zoolander Quotes | POPSUGAR ...

Thank you so much for this! You’ve fixed WK for me! :grin:

2 Likes

Congratulations. Is it possible to add an option to show only last session’s results?

1 Like

The script will show all done reviews since the last visit to the dashboard. If you have only one WK tab open, that should sort of correspond to the idea of a session (as reviews end with a forward to the dashboard page). The actual concept of session was removed in the WK update.
Note that the first time the script is loaded, it doesn’t have a ‘time of last visit of dashboard’, so the very first load shows the reviews of the last 24 hours by default.
Let me know if this is not what you meant, because I should have some time this week to tweak some more updates.

2 Likes

I don’t know if WK is just being especially slow, or they did some mini-update which nuked their API or something, but today, my beautiful little Review Summary square is completely missing from my dash. It just doesn’t seem to be loading at all. I don’t believe it’s a you problem, @rwesterhof, because I didn’t see the usual WKOF loading bar pop-up pop up, either.

It’s quite irksome and frustrating. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar today, or has any ideas?

EDIT: Apparently the scripts/WK were all just loading incredibly slow today. After posting the above, my previous results’ percentage score is showing there, as expected. Phew! : D I did wait over 3 times longer than usual for the page, and tried reloading it 2-3 extra times, too, before posting! So… bad WK downtime!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply and Thank you very much for this script!.
It’s working perfectly for me.
It’s been able to take some of my frustration off because of the lack of the review summary.

1 Like

Has this been getting better for you? I’d love to use this script, but I keep getting really long loading times on the reviews, and they sometimes only load on the 2nd or 3rd try. :frowning:

Anybody else having this problem? Anyone have a workaround or solution for this?

Edit: And it seems that posting about it has solved it … :melting_face: That and a re-install. Working now, and I’m feeling embarrassed. :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s slow for me sometimes too.

1 Like

Hello!
This script stopped working for me somwhere between yesterday and today (?)
Is there anything weird going on?

I am really missing the summary page and this extension was being invaluable to me. I would be sad to see it gone

2 Likes

Was debating whether or not I should have both plopped this at the top and added to the bottom, but obviously I should have. To correct that oversight (and the news isn’t good I’m afraid). We’re looking into alternatives, but it might take a while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
as of 2023-04-26T10:00:00Z WaniKani has announced it has disabled the Get All Reviews endpoint due to issues with undue load on the servers interfering with normal WaniKani operations (lessons/reviews). edit: This means that the Review Summary script, which displays an overview of recently done reviews, cannot retrieve anything new past this timepoint and will display only the most recent review session before 2023-04-26T10:00:00Z until further notice (effectively making this script obsolete).
Version 0.4 should be working again thanks to the relentless efforts of the amazing KumireiTM on her Review Cache script.
END IMPORTANT NOTICE

5 Likes