User definition not accepted?

I frequently add Heisig definitions for radicals I re-learn here. Today I tried to add “each” for “kiss” (各). The app let me enter and save it, but it won’t accept it for an answer in review. Are there forbidden words, and if so is there a rule for them?

4 Likes

There’s a very long thread about that particular situation here: Can we talk about banned user synonyms, especially for radicals

TL;DR - Radicals which match with a kanji, but use a mnemonic different from their respective kanji meaning are not currently given any love.

It’s actually been brought up a few times, and I’ve also e-mailed the WaniKani team about the disadvantages it brings. Hopefully they’ll actually allow us to start using kanji meanings for such radicals again soon.

Edit: I think I’ll tag the @Mods to let them know that this has come up again, since this is actually the third or fourth time I’ve seen this mentioned on the forums. (I.e., the radical 各 does not allow “each” as a user synonym, even though “each” is the correct meaning for the kanji 各.)

7 Likes

Aye, all cards have a hidden block list. Usually it’s either (a) words that seem to be similar in English but actually have quite distinct definitions, or (b) slight misspellings which would be passed by the “close enough” checker, but which are also words that have related but dissimmilar meanings (like “north” and “south” are close enough in spelling that each would be allowed by the other, but they’re antonyms). If a word is on the block list, it can’t be overridden by user synonyms.

(But yeah, it’s a bit rude of them to add kanji meanings to radical block lists…)

8 Likes

With the Item Inspector script I am able to verify that the kiss radical has an empty block list. Whatever the issue encountered by OP the block list has no part in it.

3 Likes

As someone who just reset from level 60 to level 1, I really hope this isn’t a common issue for me because there’s no way I’m re-learning the arbitrary radical names that I don’t need to learn because I already know all the kanji.

I could be wrong, but you can’t actually add user synonyms during lessons. That’s a user script that enables that function. As I’m redoing levels, I found that I could add a user synonym already during lessons. I did and it looked like it worked. But, later during reviews, it hadn’t been saved.

So I have do do it over, during the review session, which also means it isn’t saved until next review session.

Did you experience something similar? Because, if so, then it’s the script that stopped working, not something to do with how WK functions. :eyes:

Maybe warning list was there before, but now it is removed?

Normally, it would be in auxillary_meanings, but editing it somehow would also edit the warning list and block list.

The Wanikani team said it would normally warn.

It’s not a matter of timing. It lets me add a synonym, but it won’t accept it on review. I tried “every” and that also failed. It seems like WaniKani is saying that I can’t use the meaning of the kanji when it wants a radical mnemonic (though that works in many other cases). My work-around for now is to use “eeach”; that’s accepted in the review.

1 Like

You completely lost me with that comment, but I wish you luck in how to resolve your problems. :slight_smile:

Yes, the block list is empty, but the “warning list” is not. [1] The warning list is sadly not available through the public API.

The intended behavior for meanings on the warning list is for the input box to shake and show a message that they want a different meaning. A bug causes the answer to instead be marked wrong if the user has added this meaning to their user synonyms.

1. Can be checked with (await fetch("https://www.wanikani.com/extra_study/items?ids=180").then(r => r.json()))[0] ↩︎

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot about that bug.

The point is that “eeach” isn’t on the block (or warning) list because it’s a misspelling, which means the “user synonyms can’t override these specified words” doesn’t trigger.

We’ll take a look, thanks!

I dumped all the warnings.
Radical:
  - id: 180
    slug: kiss
    meaning:
      - meaning: Each
        message: Oops, we want the radical meaning, not the kanji meaning.
      - meaning: Every
        message: Oops, we want the radical meaning, not the kanji meaning.
Kanji:
  - id: 727
    slug: 持
    meaning:
      - meaning: gold
  - id: 842
    slug: 温
    meaning:
      - meaning: Hot
        message: It does mean that in some words, but what does it mean on its own?
  - id: 1013
    slug: 非
    meaning:
      - meaning: Criminal
        message: That's right for the identical radical, but what about the kanji?
  - id: 1071
    slug: 冊
    meaning:
      - meaning: Book
        message: This is correct in some contexts, but we are looking for a more precise
          translation.
      - meaning: Books
        message: This is correct in some contexts, but we are looking for a more precise
          translation.
  - id: 1162
    slug: 各
    meaning:
      - meaning: Kiss
        message: Oops, we want the kanji meaning, not the radical meaning.
  - id: 1209
    slug: 贅
    meaning:
      - meaning: せい
        message: That's technically possible but quite rare. What's a common reading?
Vocabulary:
  - id: 2481
    slug: 入れる
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Be Able To Enter
        message: That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned.
      - meaning: Can Enter
  - id: 2490
    slug: 上げる
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Rise
  - id: 2491
    slug: 上がる
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Raise
      - meaning: To Raise Something
  - id: 2502
    slug: 大人
    meaning:
      - meaning: Giant
  - id: 2540
    slug: 文
    meaning:
      - meaning: Letter
  - id: 2544
    slug: 一月
    meaning:
      - meaning: One Month
  - id: 2587
    slug: 立てる
    meaning:
      - meaning: Can Stand Up
      - meaning: To Be Able To Stand Up
      - meaning: To Stand
        message: That's possible, but what's a less ambiguous answer?
  - id: 2635
    slug: 市
    meaning:
      - meaning: Market
  - id: 2660
    slug: 一文字
    meaning:
      - meaning: One Character
        message: That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned for
          this word.
  - id: 2661
    slug: 大文字
    meaning:
      - meaning: Daimonji
  - id: 2698
    slug: 見える
    meaning:
      - meaning: To See
        message: That's possible in some contexts, but what's a more literal
          translation?
      - meaning: See
        message: That's possible in some contexts, but what's a more literal
          translation?
  - id: 2713
    slug: 三世
    meaning:
      - meaning: The Third
        message: That's possible in a compound, but what about if you use it on its own?
      - meaning: The 3rd
        message: That's possible in a compound, but what about if you use it on its own?
  - id: 2782
    slug: 何人
    meaning:
      - meaning: What Nationality
        message: "That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned. "
      - meaning: Anyone
      - meaning: Whoever
  - id: 2835
    slug: 角
    meaning:
      - meaning: Horn
      - meaning: Antler
      - meaning: Antenna
      - meaning: Feeler
  - id: 2932
    slug: 〜札
    meaning:
      - meaning: Tag
        message: That's correct when this is a standalone word, but it's a suffix here.
      - meaning: Amulet
      - meaning: Label
      - meaning: Playing Card
  - id: 3102
    slug: 実
    meaning:
      - meaning: Fruit
      - meaning: Nut
  - id: 3204
    slug: 歌
    meaning:
      - meaning: Sing
        message: That's one of the kanji meanings, but what's the vocabulary meaning?
  - id: 3439
    slug: 早口
    meaning:
      - meaning: Hayaguchi
  - id: 3561
    slug: 開く
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Open Something
  - id: 3936
    slug: イギリス人
    meaning:
      - meaning: British
        message: It does mean that in some contexts, but what does it mean on its own?
  - id: 4113
    slug: 洗練
    meaning:
      - meaning: Refining
  - id: 4189
    slug: 履く
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Wear
        message: That's close, but not quite right. Try to be a bit more specific.
  - id: 4278
    slug: 被る
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Suffer
      - meaning: To Receive
  - id: 4472
    slug: 認める
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Write
      - meaning: To Eat
  - id: 4525
    slug: 大勢
    meaning:
      - meaning: General Situation
          this word.
      - meaning: General Trend
          this word.
  - id: 4596
    slug: 職場
    meaning:
      - meaning: Work
  - id: 4966
    slug: 触れる
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Be Able To Touch
      - meaning: Can Touch
  - id: 5013
    slug: 巨大
    meaning:
      - meaning: Giant
        message: That's a bit ambiguous. Can you give us another meaning?
  - id: 5562
    slug: 傷める
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Hurt Something
      - meaning: To Hurt Someone
      - meaning: To Hurt
  - id: 6089
    slug: 旬
    meaning:
      - meaning: Ten-day Period
  - id: 6247
    slug: 弾く
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Pluck
  - id: 6277
    slug: 片言
    meaning:
      - meaning: One Side Of A Story
  - id: 6350
    slug: 称える
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Call
      - meaning: To Name
      - meaning: To Assume The Name Of
  - id: 6876
    slug: この頃
    meaning:
      - meaning: In Those Days
      - meaning: At That Time
      - meaning: Then
  - id: 7462
    slug: 万人
    meaning:
      - meaning: Ten Thousand People
  - id: 7481
    slug: 形容動詞
    meaning:
      - meaning: Adjective
  - id: 7530
    slug: 向ける
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Face Towards
  - id: 7544
    slug: 伝
    meaning:
      - meaning: Legend
      - meaning: Biography
      - meaning: Life
  - id: 7553
    slug: 機
    meaning:
      - meaning: Loom
  - id: 7573
    slug: 表
    meaning:
      - meaning: Table
      - meaning: Chart
      - meaning: List
  - id: 7653
    slug: 額
    meaning:
      - meaning: Forehead
  - id: 7669
    slug: 用
    meaning:
      - meaning: もち
        message: Oops, we want the vocabulary reading, not the kanji reading.
  - id: 7672
    slug: 〜形
    meaning:
      - meaning: Shape
      - meaning: Shaped
  - id: 7738
    slug: 生地
    meaning:
      - meaning: Birthplace
          this word.
      - meaning: Place Of Birth
          this word.
  - id: 7774
    slug: 用心棒
    meaning:
      - meaning: Yojimbo
  - id: 8190
    slug: 凝る
    meaning:
      - meaning: To Freeze
      - meaning: To Congeal
  - id: 8624
    slug: 某〜
    meaning:
      - meaning: Someone Or Other
        message: That's correct when it's a standalone word, but what about when it's a
          prefix?
      - meaning: You-Know-Who
          prefix?
      - meaning: Something
          prefix?
  - id: 8800
    slug: 札
    meaning:
      - meaning: Bill
        message: That's correct when this is a suffix, but it's a standalone word here.
      - meaning: Note
        message: That's correct when this is a suffix, but it's a standalone word here.
  - id: 8811
    slug: 御札
    meaning:
      - meaning: Bill
      - meaning: Note
  - id: 9070
    slug: 〜分
    meaning:
      - meaning: Part
        message: That's possible, but what about when it's a suffix added to a number?
      - meaning: Portion
        message: That's possible, but what about when it's a suffix added to a number?
Readings too.
Kanji:
  - id: 453
    slug: 大
    reading:
      - message: Those readings are correct, but you only need to enter one of them.
        reading: たいだい
        reading: たい、だい
        reading: だいたい
        reading: だい、たい
  - id: 852
    slug: 合
    reading:
      - message: Almost, but not quite. This is a weird case, so take another look at
          the kanji page to confirm the reading if you need to.
        reading: がつ
  - id: 966
    slug: 取
    reading:
        reading: とり
  - id: 1472
    slug: 似
    reading:
      - message: We changed the main reading to kun’yomi recently. Check the 似 page if
          you need to.
        reading: ね
  - id: 1726
    slug: 埼
    reading:
      - message: That’s possible but really rare. Can you give a more common reading?
        reading: さき
  - id: 2015
    slug: 貼
    reading:
      - message: That's technically possible, but pretty rare. What's a common reading?
        reading: つ
  - id: 2059
    slug: 刈
    reading:
      - message: That reading is pretty obscure. What's a more common reading?
        reading: かい
      - message: That reading is pretty obscure. What's a more common reading?
        reading: がい
  - id: 2166
    slug: 牲
    reading:
      - message: That's pretty obscure. What's the most common reading?
        reading: いけにえ
  - id: 2185
    slug: 乃
    reading:
      - message: We changed the main reading to kun’yomi recently. Check the 乃 page if
          you need to.
        reading: ない
  - id: 8837
    slug: 串
    reading:
      - message: That is possible but it’s really rare. What's a more common reading?
        reading: かん
  - id: 8859
    slug: 諦
    reading:
      - message: We changed the main reading to kun’yomi recently. Check the 諦 page if
          you need to.
        reading: てい
Vocabulary:
  - id: 2481
    slug: 入れる
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned.
        reading: はいれる
  - id: 2483
    slug: 八つ
    reading:
      - message: That's close, but try typing "yattsu" to get that little っ.
        reading: やつつ
      - message: That's possible in compounds, but what about as an individual word?
        reading: やつ
  - id: 2487
    slug: 三つ
    reading:
      - message: That's close, but try typing "mittsu" to get that little っ.
        reading: みつつ
      - message: That's possible in compounds, but what about as an individual word?
        reading: みつ
  - id: 2502
    slug: 大人
    reading:
        reading: たいじん
  - id: 2508
    slug: 土
    reading:
      - message: Oops, we want the vocabulary reading, not the kanji reading.
        reading: と
  - id: 2538
    slug: 下手
    reading:
        reading: しもて
        reading: したて
        reading: したで
  - id: 2539
    slug: 上手
    reading:
        reading: うわて
        reading: かみて
  - id: 2540
    slug: 文
    reading:
        reading: ふみ
        reading: もん
  - id: 2544
    slug: 一月
    reading:
        reading: ひとつき
  - id: 2579
    slug: 生
    reading:
        reading: せい
  - id: 2594
    slug: 今日
    reading:
        reading: こんにち
  - id: 2614
    slug: 止める
    reading:
        reading: やめる
        reading: とどめる
  - id: 2635
    slug: 市
    reading:
        reading: いち
  - id: 2636
    slug: 市立
    reading:
        reading: いちりつ
  - id: 2660
    slug: 一文字
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned for
          this word.
        reading: ひともじ
  - id: 2661
    slug: 大文字
    reading:
        reading: だいもんじ
  - id: 2797
    slug: 金
    reading:
        reading: かね
  - id: 2806
    slug: 体
    reading:
        reading: てい
  - id: 2835
    slug: 角
    reading:
        reading: つの
  - id: 2932
    slug: 〜札
    reading:
      - message: That's correct when this is a standalone word or part of a compound,
          but it's a suffix here.
        reading: ふだ
  - id: 2961
    slug: 何時
    reading:
        reading: いつ
        reading: なんどき
  - id: 2982
    slug: 魚
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but what's a much more common reading?
        reading: うお
  - id: 2987
    slug: 黄色
    reading:
      - message: That's possible but rare. What's a much more common reading?
        reading: おうしょく
  - id: 3013
    slug: 役
    reading:
        reading: えき
  - id: 3034
    slug: 場合
    reading:
      - message: You'll hear that sometimes, but it's not an official pronunciation for
          this word.
        reading: ばわい
  - id: 3069
    slug: 人数
    reading:
        reading: にんず
  - id: 3102
    slug: 実
    reading:
        reading: み
  - id: 3185
    slug: 開ける
    reading:
        reading: ひらける
  - id: 3356
    slug: 商人
    reading:
      - message: That's possible but it's old-fashioned. What's the standard reading
          these days?
        reading: あきゅうど
          these days?
        reading: あきんど
  - id: 3422
    slug: 手作り
    reading:
      - message: That's the right sound, but try typing "du" to get づ.
        reading: つずくり
  - id: 3439
    slug: 早口
    reading:
      - message: That reading is possible in place names, but what about the rest of the
          time?
        reading: はやぐち
  - id: 3561
    slug: 開く
    reading:
        reading: ひらく
  - id: 3711
    slug: 〜的
    reading:
      - message: That reading is correct for the independent noun, but this is a suffix.
        reading: まと
  - id: 3955
    slug: 内側
    reading:
        reading: ないそく
  - id: 3956
    slug: 外側
    reading:
      - message: That's possible but very rare. What's a much more common reading?
        reading: がいそく
  - id: 4278
    slug: 被る
    reading:
        reading: こうむる
  - id: 4323
    slug: 臭い
    reading:
        reading: におい
  - id: 4472
    slug: 認める
    reading:
        reading: したためる
  - id: 4525
    slug: 大勢
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned for
          this word.
        reading: たいせい
  - id: 4922
    slug: 我
    reading:
      - message: Oops, we want the vocabulary reading, not the kanji reading.
        reading: わ
  - id: 4966
    slug: 触れる
    reading:
        reading: さわれる
  - id: 5002
    slug: 捕える
    reading:
      - message: That's possible but extremely rare. What's a much more common reading?
        reading: つかまえる
  - id: 5081
    slug: 誘う
    reading:
      - message: That’s possible, but what’s a much more common reading?
        reading: いざなう
  - id: 5092
    slug: 退く
    reading:
        reading: どく
        reading: のく
        reading: ひく
  - id: 5145
    slug: 夫婦
    reading:
        reading: めおと
  - id: 5716
    slug: 主
    reading:
        reading: しゅ
        reading: あるじ
        reading: おも
  - id: 5757
    slug: 吐く
    reading:
        reading: つく
  - id: 5986
    slug: 摘む
    reading:
        reading: つまむ
  - id: 6089
    slug: 旬
    reading:
        reading: じゅん
  - id: 6247
    slug: 弾く
    reading:
        reading: はじく
  - id: 6277
    slug: 片言
    reading:
        reading: へんげん
  - id: 6328
    slug: 銃
    reading:
      - message: Oops, we're looking for the reading, not the meaning.
        reading: ぐん
  - id: 6350
    slug: 称える
    reading:
        reading: となえる
  - id: 6456
    slug: 埋もれる
    reading:
        reading: うずもれる
  - id: 6579
    slug: 床
    reading:
        reading: とこ
  - id: 6876
    slug: この頃
    reading:
        reading: このころ
  - id: 7156
    slug: 紛れ
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but what about when this is used as a standalone word?
        reading: まぎれ
  - id: 7224
    slug: 大麻
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but there's a more common reading.
        reading: おおあさ
  - id: 7320
    slug: 陶器
    reading:
        reading: すえき
  - id: 7445
    slug: 麻布
    reading:
      - message: That reading is the name of a place, but what about the rest of the
          time?
        reading: あざぶ
        reading: あさふ
        reading: まふ
  - id: 7462
    slug: 万人
    reading:
        reading: まんにん
  - id: 7465
    slug: 〜人
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but how do you read it when it's a counter, as in 三人?
        reading: じん
  - id: 7544
    slug: 伝
    reading:
        reading: でん
  - id: 7553
    slug: 機
    reading:
        reading: はた
  - id: 7555
    slug: 剣
    reading:
        reading: つるぎ
  - id: 7561
    slug: 一日
    reading:
      - message: Watch out for the small ぃ. Try typing "tsui" for this one.
        reading: つぃたち
  - id: 7573
    slug: 表
    reading:
        reading: ひょう
  - id: 7653
    slug: 額
    reading:
        reading: ひたい
  - id: 7672
    slug: 〜形
    reading:
        reading: かた
        reading: がた
  - id: 7738
    slug: 生地
    reading:
          this word.
        reading: せいち
  - id: 8089
    slug: 和尚
    reading:
        reading: わじょう
        reading: かしょう
  - id: 8161
    slug: 酷い
    reading:
        reading: むごい
  - id: 8190
    slug: 凝る
    reading:
        reading: こごる
  - id: 8270
    slug: 大尉
    reading:
      - message: That's possible but very old-fashioned. What's the modern reading?
        reading: だいい
  - id: 8359
    slug: 弔う
    reading:
          these days?
        reading: とぶらう
  - id: 8515
    slug: 早乙女
    reading:
        reading: そうとめ
        reading: そおとめ
        reading: さをとめ
        reading: さとめ
  - id: 8520
    slug: 凸凹
    reading:
        reading: とつおう
  - id: 8800
    slug: 札
    reading:
      - message: That's correct when this is a suffix, but it's a standalone word here.
        reading: さつ
  - id: 8811
    slug: 御札
    reading:
        reading: おさつ
  - id: 9009
    slug: 天王星
    reading:
      - message: That's possible, but there's a much more common reading.
        reading: てんおうせい
  - id: 9070
    slug: 〜分
    reading:
      - message: That's the reading with rendaku, but what's the original reading?
        reading: ぷん
      - message: That's possible, but what about when it's a suffix added to a number?
        reading: ぶん
      - message: That's possible, but it's not a reading/meaning pair you learned.
        reading: ぶ
4 Likes

not sure why this suddenly doesn’t work, but passing it along since it seems different than what the others in the thread mentioned.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.