Uncommon Reading

I just came across this vocabulary in my lesson. I’m familiar with this word but I have never seen it written as 見付ける, only as 見つける. I’m pretty sure that I’ve come across previous incidents like this but there was a note that mentioned that this was not the most common reading. Has anyone seen 見付けるout in the wild or know if it is as common as 見つけ?

I don’t think I’ve ever come across it in the wild written as 見付ける either, and if you do a quick google search of 見付ける it pulls up only about 700,000 hits, vs. 見つける which pulls up 59,500,000, so I think it’s pretty safe to say 見つける is far more common :slightly_smiling_face: it doesn’t hurt to also know it as 見付ける though in case you do ever come across it ^^

6 Likes

if the sentence has a low kanji count, japanese people often try to make it more readable by adding more where they don’t use them otherwise. also, the more formal a text is, the more kanji it has.

見つける、見付ける are both common though.

5 Likes

If anything, it makes it easier to remember for us as we’re focusing on Kanji. You won’t get okurigana for free all the time so it’s good to try and remember that part too (KW is nice for this). IMO, 見+付ける is easier to remember than 見+つける, although neither really looks tough.

A better example for me is 近づく. I kept thinking it was 近つぐ until I saw on Jisho the づく is rendaku’d 付く, and now it doesn’t confuse me anymore.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.