Torii - SRS learning application for vocabulary

Looks very interesting! Can I use it on an iPhone? Sorry, I’m not very computer literate :neutral_face:

Your app looks great but I’m having trouble getting it to work on my Mac (MacOS Sierra). I successfully followed your instructions for bypassing Apple’s security but when I tried launching the app I got the following error: “unable to load Java runtime environment.” Do you perhaps know how to fix this?

@Rakantor Thanks for the reply! I opened it again during lunch and it did indeed go right past the sign-in page. I also went through 50 items and ran into ついたち which I got wrong, then added the synonym of “one day” to it to match WK (I’m guessing that may be the いちにち reading?). I used the thumbs-up on it, then it came around again in the review and marked “one day” wrong. I looked at the item’s synonyms during the quiz and it had correctly saved “one day” as a synonym but still marked the answer wrong. Maybe it doesn’t save it as a potential correct answer until the quiz is over? I’ll try it again when the first review comes up.

I used 7zip, which is able to extract some rar files but not all. Now I’ve downloaded unrar from the rarlab site and it was able to extract it.
The app doesn’t want to start over RDP though because it needs OpenGL for some reason. I’ll later be able to run it locally, but this is a big inconvenience for me because most of the days I’m working over RDP, where OpenGL is not available.

That’s a bit of a pity, since HouHou is open source I was able to made my own fork with my own features and tweaks :wink:

What am I doing something wrong?
I’m on Linux with OpenJRE10

% java -jar Downloads/Torii\ SRS/Torii\ SRS\ v1.0.0.jar
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.lwjgl.LWJGLUtil$3 (file:/home/toafk/Downloads/Torii%20SRS/Torii%20SRS%20v1.0.0.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.lwjgl.LWJGLUtil$3
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Exception in thread “LWJGL Application” java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglGraphics.setVSync(LwjglGraphics.java:591)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:124)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.getAvailableDisplayModes(LinuxDisplay.java:954)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.init(LinuxDisplay.java:738)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.(Display.java:138)
… 2 more
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

Shame HouHou is Windows only :\

edit: never mind, I didn’t have the xorg-xrandr package installed. Works now

I was able to download and unzip it just fine using 7-zip. It’s strange that some people are having issues with it.

I didn’t realize that Wanikani mode wouldn’t include kana-only words. Guess I’ll have to go with 10k then. As soon as I figure out a way to reset my account… :S

I’m trying it out and liking it so far, but I’m missing the ability to type つ as ‘tu,’ ち as ‘ti,’ and し as ‘si.’ Minor thing really, but I really had a wild moment of confusion when I tried typing ‘tu’ and found myself looking at ‘tう.’

I found a PC to test it without going through RDP.
Looks nice.
I see that in the English-Japanese direction the synonyms are still an issue, like in all other SRS apps.

I dream of an ideal SRS app that in this case would not mark the answer as wrong and show the correct answer but act more like Bunpro, that is, display a hint “your answer is correct, but could you please remember another synonym for this word” and give me a second chance.

Never mind, I got it to work. Turns out I just had to download the latest Java update.

I played around with the app and I have some feedback. Can you add some sort of “I already know this word” button, allowing users to skip known words they come across and only SRS new ones? This is unfortunately a huge issue when using the default 10K mode as an intermediate learner :frowning:

My second suggestion is to remove the daily lesson limit. It seems like the maximum is currently 50 words per day, which, again, is a problem if you already know many of the words you encounter in the lessons.

The only issue I’ve seen so far: when opening the app, it flashes quite a lot before seeing the main page or dashboard. I can reproduce it all the time. Please see the example below.

Yes, it was blocked by my security settings. As expected. Not a big deal. The bigger issue for me was opening the terminal and changing permissions for JavaAppLauncher.

@ulisan No, I’m afraid there’s no iOS app of Torii :confused:

@kapibara Torii requires the Java runtime environment to be installed on your computer (pre-installed on many devices). You can get the latest version from here: https://java.com/download Glad you figured out the solution by yourself :stuck_out_tongue:
An option to exclude certain words from appearing in your reviews is indeed a nice feature to have. Thanks for bringing it up, I put that on my list!
The idea behind the daily limit is not to overload the user with reviews. 50 new words (which is a lot) equals 100 reviews. Now, do this 3 days in a row and you’ll end up with at least 300 reviews the following day ^^
My suggestion would be to study things like grammar, kanji, improve your listening skills or just relax once you’ve reached your daily limit :slight_smile:

@soltris Hmm actually it should accept a synonym as soon as it has been added. I’ll have a look at it ^^

@twktg The application development framework I’m using requires OpenGL, I’m afraid there’s no simple way around that.
I actually plan to give users the possibility to add accepted readings to a word (just like adding synonyms). In the meanwhile, you can press the thumbs up button (or hit Escape) to ignore your last answer ^^

@toafk I thought that error might be caused due to an incomatibility issue with Java 9/10 and the backend of my development framework… Good thing it’s not :wink:

@banndsand There’s currently no way to reset your progress by yourself. I can do that for you, just send me a short email or add me on Discord or so ^^ (I added this to my priority features list for the next update.)

@Shadkat This is on my priority list and will be fixed with the next update :slight_smile:

@mztik That flashing at startup is a Mac-thing, happens on my MacBook too all the time (not only with Torii, also with some other applications) ^^ I’m not sure if there’s a fix for that, I’ll try tho :slight_smile:

I’ve owned different types of Mac since 2007 and never seen flashes like that while using any app. I was surprised when I saw it when opening Torii. I’ve used many Java-based apps in the past, too.

Hopefully you can figure it out. Everything else is great, though.

I do still get the warnings, hopefully that’s not the error you’re talking about
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.lwjgl.LWJGLUtil$3 (file:/home/toafk/Downloads/Torii%20SRS/Torii%20SRS%20v1.0.0.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.lwjgl.LWJGLUtil$3
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

At least it launches now. Seems good so far too :slight_smile:
and I say that as someone who hates Java. I installed it just for this

I also wanted to say: Thank you.

Not only for making this free, but for also making an app available for the Mac.

By the way, I am using the Android app and it works fine. Just when I am typing in English, the suggestion feature doesn’t work with keyboard. Is there any reason for that? In the WK mobile app, the suggestion feature still works and it is easy for me since I fat-finger a lot on my phone and love to just use the suggestion to correct it.

Also, I don’t remember which system writing it was (Kunrei-shiki/Nihon-shiki), where つ can be written both as tsu and tu. Your app only allows the Hepburn style. Do you plan to add the other system?

It came back as a review so I tried the synonym but no dice.

@soltris You’re right, it’s a sneaky little bug caused by the space in the synonym. It’s due to a typo in my code :stuck_out_tongue: It’s already fixed and will be live with the next update.

@mztik Nevermind my previous reply, the flashing should be gone with the next update :smiley:

@toafk It’s most likely the issue I was talking about ^^ I’ve already upgraded said backend though, those warnings should be gone with the next update. Good thing that the application works regardless of the warnings.

@Ernovace Without getting too technical, let’s just say the WK mobile app is a native Android app and Torii isn’t. I put this issue on my list, I’ll see what I can do!
Yes, with the next update つ can be typed as ‘tu’, ち as ‘ti’ and so on.

Synonyms (as well as the thumb up button) is not what I’m talking about though, because they do not force me to remember and type in the correct answer, they just accept alternative answer as correct. What’s worse, the back of the card is revealed so I have no chance to test my memory for this particular synonym. It would be more useful if it just showed a hint that while the word could be translated like I did, the card expects another answer but don’t reveal it and don’t remove the input field for this card. Bunpro already does this for grammar cards, should be possible to do something similar for the vocab cards. Like here when I type “けれど” instead of “が” it shows the hint “Not quite that formal” and leaves the input prompt in place:

@Rakantor Thanks, I should perhaps focus on WaniKani, grammar, listening anyhow before tackling another huge deck. But I will keep it in mind. Great initiative!

Hello! I think I have a bug so I am posting here. But before that, I want to say thank you for making this for free and on your own time! It means a lot to me, and I’m sure to other people here as well :slight_smile:

I get a “Syncing vocab failed” error, and it seems like I’m getting it on words that I add reading notes to, but it might be coincidental.

java.lang.Exception: com.badlogic.gdx.utils.SerializationException: Error parsing JSON on line 2 near:

ERRORFatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function e
at com.torii.srs.RestClient$11$3.run(RestClient.java:874)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.executeRunnables(LwjglApplication.java:259)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.mainLoop(LwjglApplication.java:210)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:126)
Caused by: com.badlogic.gdx.utils.SerializationException: Error parsing JSON on line 2 near:

ERRORFatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function e
at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.JsonReader.parse(JsonReader.java:550)
at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.JsonReader.parse(JsonReader.java:39)
at com.torii.srs.RestClient$11.handleHttpResponse(RestClient.java:843)
at com.badlogic.gdx.net.NetJavaImpl$1.call(NetJavaImpl.java:204)
at com.badlogic.gdx.net.NetJavaImpl$1.call(NetJavaImpl.java:169)
at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.async.AsyncExecutor$2.call(AsyncExecutor.java:58)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

EDIT — After going through the vocab that was giving me trouble, but this time not adding synonyms or notes, the vocab went through and I had no problems.