Top 10 leaches .... coming in at number 10

This is so true! Anything “to なになに” and “to be なになに” I can’t keep straight.

And then while reading this article: Japanese Transitive and Intransitive Verbs (and How to Use Them) I realized that it is kind of odd to list definitions as “to be なになに” when these intransitive “to be blah blah” verbs aren’t even in the passive!

getting something wrong because i added an article where wk expected none is laughable. those aren’t leeches, you’re not learning “english keywords” here, you’re learning to read.

back in the day i used override for that. these days, i shrug and add a synonym.

That is a good one ! i learnt this one pre-radical overhaul, so the mnemonic involved a ‘Hick’ and ‘two face’ ! (showing my Wanikani age :slight_smile: )

hmmmm - that is confusing. haha.

Yep - i’m with you there

This took me ages to get this one down !

Yep, Yep annnnndddd … yep.

Oh Jesus - when you put them side to side, it seems remarkable i don’t have more leeches. :frowning:

1 Like

I often wish WK had a convenient way to share mnemonics/rules of thumb/advice that users come up with for personal use. I’ve seen so many of them in various Community posts, but they’re buried in threads and not easily accessible. It’d be great if there was a way to publish mnemonics that people could look at when they get stuck. Maybe with a sort feature based on likes to let the best ones filter to the top.

@fioraaeterna I haven’t hit 席 yet, but I’m sure I won’t have trouble with it once I get there. Thanks.

3 Likes

there’s a community mod for that. i guess tofugu don’t wanna bother with moderating mnemonics. maybe they saw the “creativity” on memrise and decided it’s best to not go down that rabbit hole.

Really? Where would I find it?

And, yeah, I can see the potential problems, though maybe if you did it as a feature that only paid subscribers could edit/add to, you’d avoid most of the questionable stuff… Ah well, Tofugu gonna tofu. Or something.

1 Like

it’s in the api forum. you install tampermonker on chrome (dunno for other browsers) and can then just install whatever mod fits your needs. i think this one is called “community mnemonics”.

i, too, guess that paying members keep the penis and poop memes to a minimum, but who knows. it’s still the internet, hehe.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for pointing this out. I had missed this one somehow.

One suspects that questionable content wouldn’t get many votes as well, automatically obliviating them, but I guess I’ll see once I install this script. :wink:

1 Like

There is a community mnemonics script but i find it terribly unreliable; often it just doesn’t load, even given 10+ seconds, or it has all kinds of weird buggy behavior like how it doesn’t work when using a reorder script on lessons (it seems unmaintained as well). I kinda wish there was a more well maintained version of it, because it’s a fantastic idea and I’ve submitted a lot of my mnemonics to it.

For example, one of my mnemonics I made today for 割:

2019-11-28%2011_29_33-Window

I’ve only got about 5 so far…

Hey, I’m curious,
what do the numbers on the right side mean ?
for example “4/1 4” on the first line, “3/2 1.06” on the second line, …
Thanks !

Mine doesn’t have the X/Y part, but I’d guess it’s (# of times incorrect)/(current correct streak)

The last number is the leech score. On mine, that’s calculated by
\frac{\mathrm{times\ incorrect}}{\mathrm{(correct\ streak)}^{1.5}}

The number is high for ones you’ve missed a lot of times, but then starts to go back down when you start getting it right again. (But it doesn’t go away completely just because you’ve gotten lucky once or twice.)

2 Likes

Ideally, I’d also want to weight the times incorrect based on the SRS level at which I missed it. So I could fail reviews at apprentice without much penalty, but failing a master or enlightened would put that guy right on the top of the list.

But that’s just theoretical, the “don’t fix what isn’t broken” and “keep it simple stupid” principles control here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.