Thursday February 1 2024 Content Updates

Hi everyone! In addition to this week’s regular updates, we thought we should let you know that the keyword for all じょう readings on WaniKani has been changed from “Jourm” to “Joe”. We’d love your feedback on this change, and to please let us know if we’ve missed any items that needed to be changed, but we do believe we should have everything covered!

Kanji

(1) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(8) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(13) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(15) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(16) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(17) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(19) - Added “inquire” to the block list.

(21) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(22) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(33) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(36) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(39) - Updated the meaning mnemonic, meaning hint, reading mnemonic, and reading hint.

(45) - Changed the primary reading from しょう to い, and updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(45) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(47) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(53) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(57) - Updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(58) - Updated the meaning mnemonic, meaning hint, reading mnemonic, and reading hint.

Vocabulary

上手 (2) - Updated the reading explanation.

下がる (5) - Added “to go down” as the alternative meaning, moved “to fall” and “to drop” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

上がる (5) - Added “to get higher” as the alternative meaning, moved “to be raised” to the allow list, moved “to stop” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

乗馬 (15) - Updated the reading explanation.

乗客 (17) - Updated the reading explanation.

鼻歌 (17) - Added “mumbling” to the block list.

得る (19) - Added “to inquire” to the block list.

指圧 (20) - Updated the meaning explanation, added “acupressure” to the allow list, and added “massage” and “Japanese massage” to the warning list.

誕生 (22) - Updated the reading explanation.

岡山城 (25) - Updated the reading explanation.

株式市場 (26) - Updated the reading explanation.

触れる (26) - Updated the meaning explanation.

貸し切り (27) - Added “private reservation” as the primary meaning, moved “reservation” and “reserved” to the allow list, added “renting,” “renting out,” “chartered,” “chartering,” and “exclusive reservation” to the allow list, added “lock-in” and “private” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

招く (27) - Added “to cause” as an alternative meaning, moved “to summon” to the allow list, added “to invite someone” to the allow list, added “to have,” “to ask,” “to call in,” “to employ,” and “to engage” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

抜き出す (27) - Moved “to extract” to the primary meaning, added “to pull something out” as the alternative meaning, moved “to select” and “to start to pull out” to the allow list, added "to choose, “to take out,” “to single out,” “to extract something,” and “to pull out something” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

蒸れる (33) - Added “to get hot and sticky” as the primary meaning, added “to be steamed” as the alternative meaning, added “to be sticky and sweaty,” “to be sweaty and sticky,” “to be sweaty,” “to be sticky,” “to get steamed,” “to get sticky and sweaty,” “to get sweaty and sticky,” “to get sweaty,” “to get sticky,” “to be hot and sticky,” “to be well steamed,” and “to get well steamed” to the allow list, moved “to be humid” and “to be stuffy” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

蒸し暑い (35) - Moved “hot and humid” to the primary meaning, moved “humid” to the alternative meaning, and updated the meaning explanation.

口紅 (36) - Updated the reading explanation.

払い (37) - Added “suffix” to the word type.

(39) - Updated the reading explanation.

肌色 (45) - Moved “skin color” to the primary meaning, added “skin tone” as the alternative meaning, moved “flesh colored” and “skin colored” to the allow list, moved “pale orange” to the warning list, added “pale orange color,” “pale orange colour,” “color pale orange,” “colour pale orange,” “light orange,” “light orange color,” “light orange colour,” “color light orange,” “colour light orange,” “peach,” “peach skin tone,” “pale peach,” “light peach,” “pale peach color,” “pale peach colour,” “color pale peach,” “colour pale peach,” “light peach color,” “light peach colour,” “color light peach,” and “colour light peach” to the warning list, updated the meaning explanation, removed one context sentence, and added three context sentences.

井戸 (45) - Updated the reading explanation.

天井 (45) - Updated the reading explanation.

勘定 (51) - Updated the reading explanation.

搭乗 (53) - Updated the reading explanation.

軒並 (53) - Changed the vocab from “軒並” to “軒並み,” updated the reading explanation, and added “のきなみみ” to the reading warning list.

23 Likes

:scream::scream::scream: Oh my oh my oh my!!!

9 Likes

RIP Jourm. Long live Joe!

14 Likes

This reminds me of Joernio Joevanni, another cheap copy of Giornio Giovanni :thinking:

Anyway, I think the change is good, since Jourm was a pretty unusual name for me lol

8 Likes

Personally I’m sad and wish you’d allow us who have spent years with Jourm to keep him for the rest of our journey through Wanikani. But in general it seems like an okay decision.

Also:

^ this doesn’t accept the katakana version of the answer, while other words containing katakana allow both hiragana and katakana.

7 Likes

Thank you for letting us know!
なまビール is in our allow list already, and it should just be marked correct.
I tested on my end, and it did get marked correct.
May I ask how you typed it?

6 Likes

I typed on my phone: namaBI-RU

But I’m using the Smouldering Durtles app, maybe the fault lies there.

4 Likes

Hopefully Jourm and Hard Gay meet in the WK afterlife and make all our dreams come true

12 Likes

Typo: “to get hot and sticky

3 Likes

18 Likes

Oh thank goodness. Joe is so much better. I’ve been using Ordinary Joe as his name in my own notes.

3 Likes

禿同. Thanks for continuous improvement effort.

1 Like

The kanji which introduce the “Jo-Anne” keyword for じょ readings still reference Jourm in their reading hints: and .

He’ll always be called Jourm in my heart—“Jo” and “Joe” sound a bit too similar in my head for my liking. But I can see why you might’ve wanted to move away from a mnemonic based on the keyboard keys jou to a closer phonetic match.

7 Likes

Thanks for catching that!

5 Likes

I understand the change, first time I saw the name “Jourm” I was like “what the… is this a name?”.
But at the same time, as a non-English native speaker, the concept of long and short vowels is something I struggle a ton with. And Jourm was visually representing a long ‘o’, so that really helped. To me (and I’m sure to other non English natives) there is literally no difference between Jo and Joe. Or if anything, Jo-Anne is a longer name than Joe, so it’s more confusing than before ^^;;;
I usually change the names in my head anyway, to facilitate the difference between long and short vowels, so Jourm will just be another one of those now :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I’m a native English speaker, and I also appreciated the “ou” in Jourm helping me remember the longer じょう in Japanese. But, what’s done is done. I’ll also likely switch out Joe with Jourm in my head (so, Jourm lives on!).

12 Likes

always thought jourm was weird but I guess it’s easy to remember then.

3 Likes

No.

I always thought of Jourm as Yhorm’s brother. A lot of the time, it made sense with the mnemonics, too.

I hate it.

10 Likes

Thank you, fixed!

2 Likes

YES, Totally. I thought of Jourm as Yhorm more like than yhorm’s brother but I really like the thought of a giant having a “weird” name, why would it have a normal name?? Idk

4 Likes