This is what you see as a new user on Wanikani

I created a 2nd account just to check something, and ended up seeing how Wanikani introduces itself to new users. I had no idea what I’d see and I think that most users don’t know/remember how it looks either, so I decided to share.

Right after signing up:

During the first 26 lessons, I was expecting way more different names for the radicals that are based on actual kanji, but it’s not that bad at all for new users: 一 is ground and 十 is cross. Every other lesson was pretty much fine in terms of having the same meaning as the kanji.

After leaving lessons:

“Fine, I’ll wait” - love how the button itself looks like it’s complaining already XD

I know the team has those links for people to give them a read, but my first instinct was to click on the white buttons all the way. After that, I did feel the emptiness of “what now”. Not sure if the links mention anything, but it would be nice to have users introduce themselves on the forums or just have them browse it. They’ll have entertainment for all the time waiting.

Once reviews were available:

48 Likes

The “Fine, I’ll wait.” button should really link to the POLLS thread.

35 Likes

I’m pretty sure that they added this in order to stop the endless flood of “How do I unlock new lessons?!” threads that show up every week…

It probably won’t work though. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

@ElCapitan is no more… :frowning:

3 Likes

It’s probably because I didn’t click on the forums/didn’t activate the account just yet.

6 Likes

Are you going to try to beat your record with your new account?

3 Likes

Yeeessss, get the forum interaction done early! Plus, as the busiest thread it’s the best place to post obnixous webcome gifs like I do without annoying anyone!

4 Likes

It would have to link to the Table of Contents since the POLL thread keeps hitting 10k…

4 Likes

Good point, good point.

Nah, I have my other things I can challenge myself with and I actually like to sleep :stuck_out_tongue: I’m more proud of those that do it all in 7 days over those that do it in 6 days and 20h. Hurting your health for a few less days on Wanikani…

Yes please continue spreading my guide welcoming beginners! :eyes:

:heart:

15 Likes

But how?

I thought that place was sealed for all eternity…

2 Likes

@ElCapitan needs welcomed - even though Ke hasn’t been to the forum yet, well, I mean definitely not the same as @jprspereira - they don’t even sound similar

3 Likes

An electric relay of transfers to the POLLs threads from now until the end of eternity.

1 Like

I registered last year(almost). It wasn’t like this at all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But of course, but of course :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

-_-

I don’t know what to think of this transparent ploy to gather double the likes each new POLL thread

3 Likes

I registered in April and it wasn’t like this.

6 Likes

For me it was a bit earlier…and I can’t remember anymore! :joy: But, it didn’t feel like I had seen the screenshots before. They felt new to me.

Seems like a fine way to introduce new users to me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At the very least, they only added the latest kanji a couple months ago. For a long time, WK had 2048 kanji, not 2055.

In the year of our Crabigator 2018, I saw not these screens.

1 Like