There should be a way to mark answer as typo and repeat

And right typo is still wrong, whether you knew the answer or not. WaniKani just want to prioritize speed, leaving comprehension more blurry. (Say, comprehending English words.)

I would say much less if there is shake mode. There should be a way mark typo as possibly typo and repeat.

1 Like

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

I’ve reopened this thread since we have temporarily suspended the flagged user.

-Nick at WK

6 Likes

@WaniConti Can you reopen this one too, since it was locked due to the same user: WaniKani Custom SRS - WIP

Hey hotdogsuplex! Sorry I missed this, I had logged off for the night by then! It looks like it is open now. :+1:

-Nick at WK

2 Likes

Instead of expanding the typo-detection to include hiragana/katakana readings, maybe a button to mark an answer as “ignore the incorrect answer and ask again later?” It’s really annoying to see my mastery go down because I accidentally fat-fingered my phone and type “ru” instead of “ri,” or “jo” instead of “ji.” Sometimes I’ll catch it, but a good 50% of my incorrect answers are because I’m using a phone keyboard.

I’ve thought about switching to a japanese keyboard while I’m using the app, but it sounds like a pain to keep switching back and forth.

2 Likes

Never gonna happen. Wanikani is a nanny state.

My main problem is that I used swiftkey as my phone keyboard, and it auto capitals the first letter. There’s a line in there to not do that but swiftkey doesn’t obey it. This means if a word starts with a single vowel I’m likely to put in イちがつ or アかちゃん instead of いちがつ or あかちゃん unless I hit shift twice to make it lowercase before I begin typing. They are aware of the swiftkey issue but allowing or catching a mix of katakana should be doable on the back end if they wanted.

Anyway, so I just use flaming durdles on my phone now because it has an undo button. I can’t change my phone keyboard after so many years I’ve tried gboard and I was basically illiterate.

If I do make a dumb mistake on the PC I just exit and start again. You used to have to dump the browser session but they made some changes a year or so ago and that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

I mean, if their goal is accuracy for how long it takes users to learn, or whatever, you’d think that false negatives would be just as bad as false positives.

2 Likes

Yes. In fact you don’t even have to close the tab. Just press the home icon. (Same on mobile)

1 Like

I think another way to handle typo protection and prevent the abuse of an undo button could be to implement a “double enter” to confirm your answer.

If you are on mobile, where most typos reportedly tend to occur, you could enable it for your review session. You have to press enter 2 times. If the first time you notice your typo you can just modify your answer and the “enter” counter resets.

(Not suggesting this is the way to go or the best solution, just providing some ideas)

1 Like

KameSame has an undo feature for their web app, and it is limited to three per session. This is a good compromise. I think even having only one undo for wanikani would be sufficient. Usually after my first typo each session, I end up being more cautious for the rest of the session.

1 Like

I don’t find that weird at all. There are not any official mobile apps that I am aware of, so, being a third-party app, it can add whatever logic it wants. And often that means simply embedding one or more of the many API And Third-Party Apps - WaniKani Community (i.e., userscripts).

1 Like