The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Have… have you tried looking under “N”?

10 Likes

Wow I’m actually an idiot.

4 Likes

It comes before “ping” and after “nee-womm”

5 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely that

Hmm, possibly. I have seen slightly ‘off’ Japanese in this book. I think it was some dialect, so possibly the や could be a reference to the roughness of the region? Maybe a long shot

How is “I helped X person eat their food because they couldn’t finish it” said in Japanese?

Something like this.

Xさんはご飯が食べ切れなかったから、食べてあげた

~きる is an auxiliary that means “do completely” and is frequently used with eating food. In the sentence, it becomes the potential of that.

Then ~てあげる expresses doing something for them.

5 Likes

Alright thanks. I don’t mean to turn this into a grammar thread, but if we just used only 食べてあげた without the

part , how would the person we are doing the favour for be identified in the sentence? With ため or?

Just with normal に, the recipient of あげる is always marked by に:

XはYにケーキをあげた : X gave a cake to Y
XはYにケーキを作ってあげた : X made a cake for Y

4 Likes

Thank you!

According to Genki you have to differentiate between あげる as a main verb and あげる as an auxiliary verb. In the latter case, you have to use ために instead of に if the main verb doesn’t have a place for the person receiving the benefit.

3 Likes

I see, according to the Dictionary of Japanese grammar, indeed you have to say ために if the verb in て-form is intransitive. I never picked up on that, sorry for the wrong information.

4 Likes

Thanks for your answer! That’s interesting because Genki doesn’t talk about transitivity at all but stays rather vague. They give 掃除する as an example for an verb that needs のために in combination with あげる. But isn’t 掃除する a transitive verb? :thinking:

1 Like

@buburoi Sorry guys, is taberu not transitive? :sob:

Yes, it’s transitive, therefore you would use に to mark the person receiving the benefit.

1 Like

Is this 者達 a Nintendo thing? It’s pretty obvious what it means but it does not even come up in Jisho…

達 is a pluralizing suffix. You can add it to many things (typically people or animals) to make them plural, so they typically just list the entry as a suffix and not every possible combination. It would probably depend on if adding it had some special nuance in certain situations.

So you won’t see entries for 生徒たち or 犬たち in dictionaries either, but they are possible.

6 Likes

Or 田中達 for when you see a group of Tanakas walking around. :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

Just to be clear… in case anyone isn’t aware… you can just pick one person out from a group, add たち to their name, and use that to refer to the entire group regardless of their names.

So 田中達 could be a group of people all named Tanaka, but it’s more likely to be “Tanaka and his friends”.

10 Likes

True, I don’t want to give anyone the wrong idea. You of course shouldn’t think of it meaning that, but it is an amusing hypothetical that was used when I was taught about it. Though considering the prevalence of the name, you may actually see a literal group of multiple Tanakas at some point in Japan! :slight_smile: :rofl:

6 Likes