The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

When talking about making friends or entering a romantic relationship sometimes the verb できる is used. But what if I wanted to say “I can’t get a girlfriend”? Would 彼女ができない work with enough context, or is there something else to it?
For example, for a sentence like
“I keep playing VNs because I’m unable to get real girlfriend”, would
“本当の彼女ができないから美少女ゲームばかりしてる。” be good translation?

Are 寄る, 因る (WK 拠る), 選る, and 撚る the same word?

This kind of thing is usually mentioned in the definitions. Either they’ll be in the same entry as each other, or it will note that they share a common etymology.

3 Likes

That sounds fine to me. Phrases like 彼女を作る、彼女の作り方 are also common, so you could say 彼女を作れない as well.

2 Likes

Is ことになっちゃった used often?

I mean… that doesn’t specifically stand out to me as something that is “used often” as a set or anything.

But if it’s a sentence where the grammar is appropriate for ~ことになる, and ~てしまった, and the further colloquialism of っちゃった, then using it is fine, right?

1 Like

Yeah that makes senses🤨 Thank you!

During shadowing, do you repeat sentences after they are said, or do you say them the same time?

I think, by definition, shadowing is done at a slight delay. It’s not simultaneous, nor is it after the sentence has ended.

4 Likes

What is the word to use if I want to ask my teacher if something is informal of not?

For informal, I usually use the word カジュアル. You can find インフォーマル in the dictionary, but I’ve never heard someone use it.

For formal, I usually use フォーマル or かたい.

The antonym of かたい would be くだけた. The dictionary says やわらかい is also an antonym for it, but I honestly hear くだけた more.

5 Likes

Didn’t think you’ll be awake at this time. Thank you!

1 Like

Leebo answered for the informal / informal, but btw another interesting information to know is if something is 書き言葉 (written language) or 話し言葉 (spoken language) (or both). There is plenty of grammar and expression that are found almost only in writing and also plenty of shortcut and contraction that are found almost only in speak.

3 Likes

Leebo is always awake.

Besides, it was only 11pm. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Is it common as a beginner to get confused and not be able to tell what verb is when you hear something with the ん explanation grammar? Like 行くん vs just 行く

1 Like

Yes. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know about your specific example per se, but generally any aspect of learning a language takes practice and time. You’ll be confused by grammar point A. Then you’ll finally get better at understanding grammar point A just to learn about and be confused by grammar point B. You just need to keep practicing and read grammar explanations and examples from different sources as necessary.

8 Likes

I’m really struggling to figure out what そやがせてゆき is referring to. From the book 西の魔女が死んだ

まいはそこに座り、遠くの薄青に輝く山を見つめた。風がすぐ下の栗の木の若葉をそやがせてゆき、遠くでホトトギスが「テッペンカケタカ」と、山々にこだまさせていた。

Thanks in advance! :smile:

1 Like

I have no idea what そやがせて is, but could ゆき just be いき? I think that’s likely, because then it would be some verb in ていく form and then in 連用形. I can’t find any word for そやがせる or そやぐ though.

4 Likes

Maybe a typo for 戦ぐ (そよぐ: to rustle; to sway; to stir; to flutter​) ? And I agree the ゆき instead of いき seems to fit the poetic tone of the sentence.

5 Likes

Sorry, does anyone know where the ni-particle explanation is in DoBJG?

1 Like