受領書 vs 領収書 - > Receipt
判断する vs 裁く - > To judge
非難する vs 批判する - > Criticize

The example sentences don’t help me much. :disappointed:

Thank you in advance! :pray:

Today got me thinking about how WK teaches:

経験 - experience
体験 - experience

In jisho, 経験 is just defined as experience, while 体験 is defined as personal experience.

But the WK example sentences for 経験 seem to be more a person talking about their personal, fist-hand experiences. While the example sentences for 体験 refer more to personal experiences that people other than the speaker underwent.

Does anyone have any insights? :purple_heart:

As far as I know, 経験けいけん implies that the experience results in some sort of skill or knowledge learned from it, whereas 体験たいけん focuses more on the act of experiencing itself (and is subjective to the person who is personally experiencing whatever it is, doesn’t have to be the speaker) – so technically you could say that if you’re able to learn something through a 体験, it becomes a 経験! :durtle_the_explorer:

Difference between 賀状 and 年賀状?
I believe it’s mostly that 賀状 is more general whereas 年賀状 is more specific, but when I search 賀状 on Google Images, I mostly see new year cards only. So, I was wondering if in actual usage, 賀状 also refers to new year cards only.

Regarding 判断する and 裁く,
I think 判断する is when you judge a situation, by thinking on your own.
裁く is when the judge gives the judgement in a trial.

I’m not 100% sure, in fact I’m guessing.

Saw Detective Conan using 領収書 for receipt. Is it safe to assume this is the version that’s used more commonly?

I have a range of actual receipts from my trips to Japan. Maybe I should dig them out and see what they say. :slightly_smiling_face:

Only one within arm’s length of me right now is the duty-free receipt stuck in my passport, and that just says レシート…

Maybe all the new stores are using レシート now?

Both are very common, but do not mean the same thing.
領収書 is a receipt you get after buying something/ paying for something.
受領書 is a receipt you get after handing something to someone. E.g. when a company delivers a computer to a research lab (completely random example not inspired by real life), they will need a 受領書 proving that they have indeed delivered it. It’s mostly used in the business environment, I guess. Another important distinction is that the buyer/receiver is the one issuing the receipt in this case. (In practice, the company delivering the stuff brings it, you just get to stamp it with your 印鑑)

The thread that just about everyone needed but was too lazy to search on Wikipedia for.

Update:

• Added the differences between 4 ways of saying “to leave”: 出かける vs 出る vs 去る vs 立ち去る
  • In the following days, I’ll try to add all the good stuff that people shared here (@Naphthalene and @MissMisc) and make a summary for the questions that are still missing an answer :v:

So I keep seeing way too many 休 things, these are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head:
休み, 休憩, 休暇, 休日, 休養, 休息 … and then I just saw 安静 last night which seemed to be yet another “rest” type word and finally pushed me to…lazily post here and hope someone else gives me answers for free, yeehaw :relieved:

I have the vague understanding that 休暇 and 休日 are like entire days off (vacation/holiday) whereas … all of the others are “rest” of some sort, but surely there’s more to it than that since there’s so many words.

I’ll report back if I finally bother to research these myself before someone answers

How about 信託, 信用, 信頼, 依頼, and 委託.

休み is used to mean either “off time” (e.g. school breaks, lunch breaks, or a business’ closed days) or “taking a day off” (e.g. from work/school) or “absence” (e.g from school/work).
Examples:

1. Summer break = 夏休み

2. Lunch break = 昼休み

3. This store is closed on Sundays.
    この店は日曜日が休みです。

4. I’d like to take next Monday off from work.
    私は来週の月曜日仕事を休みたいです。

5. I didn’t go to school for a week because I was sick.
    病気のため私は一週間学校を休みました。

休憩 is used to mean a short break during some activity (e.g. working, studying, hiking, etc).

1. We’ve been studying for a while so let’s take a break.
    私たちはしばらく勉強をし続けたのでちょっと休憩しましょう。

2. (at work): I’m on break right now.
    私は今休憩中です。

休暇 means “holiday/vacation.” It’s generally used for working people not for school breaks.

1. I took a week off from work.
    私は一週間休暇を取りました。
    *You can also use 休み in this case as well. However, they are not always interchangeable. In the 休み examples above, you cannot use 休暇 because 休暇 specifically refers to holiday/vacation.

休日 usually refers to official holidays (e.g New Years). You will often see this on calendars.

1. January 1st is a holiday.
    1月1日は休日です。
    *In Japan, girls’ day (March 3rd) is a celebrated holiday but it is not an official holiday so you would not call it a 休日。

休養 means something like “rejuvenation” or “recovery.” It is a break that is desperately needed (e.g. from a stressful environment) or to recover (e.g. from an illness).

1. After the surgery, I needed time to recover.
    私は手術の後休養が必要でした。

休息 is quite similar to 休憩. However, 休息 emphasizes that you’re resting the body such as after physical activity (e.g. running or construction work) whereas 休憩 can be a break from any activity whether physical (e.g. running, swimming) or not physical (e.g. playing video games, reading, computer work).

安静 is exclusively used for when a person is sick and they need to rest (i.e. they shouldn’t do much activity (both physically or mentally)).

1. When I was sick and visited the doctor, he told me to rest.
    私は病気のためお医者さんに行ったら、(彼・医師・先生)に安静にしてくださいと言われました。
    *In Japan, people refer to doctors as 先生

Overall, if you don’t know which one of these words to use, 休み・休む is the best choice to use because it has the broadest meaning out of all of these words.

Bonus: お休みなさい means good night and it emphasizes resting through sleep. It is a set phrase.

Hope this helps a bit! :smile:

@jprspereira this is a great thread! :grinning:
Especially when you learn visually similar vocabulary at different levels - as for 出る and 出かける.
If you learn them all at the same level, I felt it was easier to separate them in my mind somehow (like 写す and 写る).

Now, at level 5, WK has showed me 交ぜる (to mix - when you’re doing the mixing), but there’s a disclaimer in the meaning explanation for other forms to come, such as 交じる (to be mixed) and 交わる (to intersect). Maybe this could be some more confusing vocabulary.

I would suggest adding 出す to your Leavingx4 Nuance Wiki, since it’s related to cause something to leave. What do you think? :slight_smile:
It could become Leavingx5, haha

Those “mixed” 交 vocabulary are some of my most annoying leeches. From time to time, I get them wrong a lot and they return to apprentice…

Thank youuuu :grin:

I agree, because in those situations, you’re “forced” to make a differention of those items in your head, or else your learning will feel like a mess. I’d honestly apply this same principle to similar kanji as well. I think that could be something to take into consideration from the behalf on the WK’s team.

In here, I don’t agree. 出す is a transitive verb, meaning that the subject “verbs” (acts) on the object. It’s different from the other examples, as they’re intransitive (subject acts on it/him/herself).

In case you’re not aware of verb transitivity, I recommend reading this:

That helps more than just a bit, thank you!

playing video games is strenuous physical exercise for the hands thank you very much :cry:

Oooh, I see what you mean!
I was only focusing on the different meanings for the kanji itself - not on their relation with subject/object. Now I understand why you chose the vocabulary above.
Awesome :raised_hands:

Sure, it would help a lot, especially with verbs…

What about 出発 and 発進, both meaning departure?