~ The Level 15 Curse ~

Sorry, I forgot my magic wand to conjure some newer statistics at home. Maybe we can suffer through what is there at the moment.

New: 22 new level 60 per month :slight_smile:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/its-a-stat-22-people-make-it-to-level-60-every-month/30156?u=acm2010

4 Likes

Wow, and only 22 of those reach level 60 per month. That’s like one percent of people complete the coarse fully. :hushed:

2 Likes

It seems that not all WK users have a forum account, but we say that at least 600 people per month start WK and 22 finish, all this talk about “learning kanji faster” you see in the forums is preaching to a non-existing audience :slight_smile:

(about 50% just test the free levels, which would be actually lower than what I expected; on the other hand they probably don’t join the forums just to whine about WK)

4 Likes

Uh oh, here you guys go, trying to figure out number things.

23 Likes

Screenshot_20180323-212234
This probably isn’t very good for me.
(Context: Currently on vacation, didn’t bother doing reviews due to being tired… yeah. At least I didn’t do lessons, though.)

Let’s hope I get back to full force on… I think Monday?

How can you check your stats?

I just finished coming back from 1700+ reviews because i took off 6 months due to a change in my job at level 14. You will be fine. Just make sure to keep your apprentices low, i let mine get WAYYY out of hand (320+). as long as you don’t do that, you’ll be fine.

I feel you…

先輩、ありがとうございます。60級の暖かさは楽しみですよ。

1 Like

www.wkstats.com I check it religiously everytime I level up :smiley:

1 Like

It’s an obsession hehehe

1 Like

Damn, me too 236 days at level 14 to get to 15. That checks out, took about 7-8 months before i seriously buckled down and decided to get my backlog under control. But that was my fault, nothing to do with the program.

3 Likes

@ OP visit one of the many “Painful” phase support groups on the forums. Devise a plan of approach, settle in a comfortable position and get that turtle Barbecue stated accordingly. It’ll be a little rough at first (painful is an apt title for this phase I think), Keep faith in SRS and work the mnemonics when you feel frustrated. Before you know it, you’ll be a quarter through the program, and over the curse.

1 Like

Having read what other people have said on different posts over the last few months: Don’t fall into a review pit. This can be avoided by:

1. Always clear your review at least once a day
  2. Keep your apprentice level around 100-120
  3. Use 3rd party scripts to practice leeches, and keep them as low as you can
  4. Be disciplined

From person experience, I would say #3 is a secret killer. There is nothing more disheartening than trying to face down 30+ leeches that seem to never go away.

3 Likes

what is a leech? My biggest problem was not knowing what was coming. I would recommend that script, so you know what’s coming. I would spend all day getting 100+ done (when i had a huge backlog), only to come back the next morning and see my reviews go up by 150+. Talk about disheartening. Now that it’s under control i use the script to help me plan out my reviews. I’m never surprised, and my reviews are never higher than 30 at any one time, and i never let them get above 50. that helped me tremendously, nobody likes to put in hours of work and then see it vanish overnight

2 Likes

I’m at level 16 currently and it’s the first time I’m really feeling a little overwhelmed with the new kanji. I had settled into a good pace until then of doing about 10-15 lessons a day but I had to stop doing new lessons for now. I feel like it’s a combination of the up for burning items coming up in reviews more and other life commitments preventing me from doing as many reviews as I’d like.

3 Likes

it can be pretty demotivating to … see that huge number of reviews

Really? Personally it just feels like a chance to try for a new “high-score.” Gamification stronk.

4 Likes

Sure sometimes. But when you are at 89% completed kanji to advance to the next level, 300-400 reviews with 2-3 mystery kanji RNG is demotivating to me. To use a game analogy, knowing that the drop you need has a 2-3% drop rate might demotivate you.
That’s why I think certain levels like around 24 are tough. Around that time the burns from level 1 should be floating up, so you get slammed with all levels coming back for reviews.

2 Likes

@anon63218666 To answer your question, (Kristin at Tofugu talked about this on a recent podcast) a leech is something you try to remember and it just DOESN’T STICK. Every time it comes back, it seems like no matter how much you practice you can’t seem to get it. And yes they are very annoying. So write them down and practice them more often because the SRS system will take a long time to ingrain it in your brain.

2 Likes