The JLPT 2021 Thread (RESULTS OUT NOW!)

I’m the kind of person to read the terms and conditions when policies update, so maybe I’m just an outlier who shouldn’t be counted :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Skills :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I just assumed there would be a clock, because why the hell wouldn’t they have a clock? Every timed test I have ever taken has had an official clock available.

3 Likes

Maybe lol or maybe they read them but didn’t think much of them.
Future test takers, 時間をなめるな!対策をとれ!

3 Likes

Did you take the SAT? College Board tests (including AP) do not have an official clock available, but proctors may be encouraged to give time warnings. It’s not a requirement though. It’s mostly a happy coincidence that since tests tend to be proctored in schools, there are clocks in just about every room because it is a school.

2 Likes

I made a prep guide since I had time…

7 Likes

Nope, Canada doesn’t have that!

5 Likes

big shrug of idk
every situation is different I guess??

4 Likes

Well, I bombed the N1 today.
But that was expected, since my goal was to take the N3 (which I think I probably would have passed).
The only test that I could sit for in Chicago was N1, so I took it just to see, and also just in case there was an outside chance that I might pass.
I tried and tried the whole time. I read a LOT, but not enough. I spent the first 5 minutes calculating how long I could spend on each section, and writing those times in the test booklet. On EVERY SECTION, I ran out of time and had to guess. I would scan the questions to try to knock out any answers and see what it was asking about… Then I was out of time for the section already! D’oh!! Not once did I ever get to actually read the passage to which the question was referring.

I could hear the words in the listening part, but my Vocab recall/recognition was too weak to merely comprehend lightning fast. This is the same difficulty with the written section. I just need to keep on cranking with my drills…(and start studying grammar). Maybe in 2 years, I could pass N1.

I’m kind of sad to have studied a lot for almost 3 years and still be so far from understanding/speaking Japanese. But similarly, I have come so, so far…

The US cancelled the July JLPTs (used to be every Dec and July), only offered in Dec now. It’s still an all-volunteer feat to pull off by a professional organization. They’re Japanese teachers, so I’m grateful that they permit we self-taught types to sit for the exam. So many of the US locations cancelled this year! I’m very grateful that Chicago continued in store of omicron very VERY likely being here. I said “thank you” to the proctors! I will try to register again next year, but I don’t know if it will need to be N3 or if I’ll level up to N2.

Like last time, this University has a large red digital clock bar in each room, to which the proctors openly referred and followed for the test. I brought a watch “just to be certain”, and it was 1-2 minutes slow. But the 20 min break was just enough time between sections to run down to the vending machine and buy a snack, gobble it down with nobody around, bathroom break, and race back to test room. I can’t believe that I’d forgotten to bring a snack!!

10 Likes

Cheer up! :sunflower: :blossom: Just reassess your level and go for it.

2 Likes

According to the proctor at my exam location (Akita, Japan) the clock is covered to avoid confusion or disagreement about the time. There’s no guarantee that the clocks available at any given venue are going to be set in sync with UTC, so as a general policy at any location any clocks in the room are covered.

5 Likes

Took the N3 today and I’m feeling pretty good about it. The listening is obviously the part I’m least sure on but I think I at least got enough right to pass the section. The vocab/kanji section I crushed, finished it with 15 minutes remaining and there were probably fewer than 5 that I wasn’t sure on. I also comfortably finished the reading/grammar section with about 10 minutes to spare, but I was definitely kinda eh on some of my answers. Still, I think I probably did enough to pass the reading and listening sections, and doing well on the vocab section should give me the push I need for an overall passing score. Should be interesting to see when the results come out.

I went through both the Shin Kanzen Master series and the Nihongo so-matome series, and amusingly I felt like the vast majority of what those books covered were not on the test. But that’s the JLPT for ya, I guess.

6 Likes

I had a clock in my N2 room as it was a normal classroom. It was about 3-4 mins fast, so I carefully followed my watch instead.

3 Likes

I took the N2 in Tokyo yesterday and absolutely bombed it. I finished the reading part on time but I was completely thrown off by the listening section. To be honest, I deserve it haha. I only studied the grammar from the “総まとめ” series and didn’t actually prepare for the test itself so I basically went in blind. If anything, it was quite humbling and has given me and idea of where my weaknesses lie. I really need to work on my reading and listening. Planning on taking it next year unless my random guesses helped me pass haha.

7 Likes

Here they even brought a separate clock and said to follow it instead of the wall one. Also announced the 5 minutes left.

Pretty annoyed we were in a classroom with a top-notch audio equipment, but then the proctor pulled out a tiny cd player. On a low chair in the front. Just why.

11 Likes

Now that the exam is over globally, did anybody could find a Chinese or Vietnamese website with the answers sheet, like last summer ? I would like to check while I still remember but no luck so far.

One vocab that really tricked me for good in the N1 (and shame on me because it’s actually a WK vocab) is a word that start with something that looked a bit like 鎖 (くさり、chain) and 覚. The onyomi would be さ(鎖)+かく(覚) and さかく was one of the answer so I thought I was fine… But, the correct answer is actually さっかく because the word is 錯覚 !! :rofl:

4 Likes

天気がいいから、散歩しましょう!

18 Likes

Something that has always confused me is are you allowed to write notes on the vocabulary, grammar and reading 問題用紙?I ask because the listening specifically states you can take notes but the other doesn’t. It also doesn’t say that you can’t write in it. Personally, I would like to take notes on some of the longer reading passages.

2 Likes

Excellent. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one. I missed 4 questions at the end because of time

Thankfully i filled in the last 10 questions as #2 before the time was up

3 Likes

I don’t know if it differs according to the country but in Paris they told us we could write notes on it.

1 Like