The general gist of something

Hi all,

Why is this considered wrong? Can I get a clear explanation please? How would you say “I get the general gist of it” in Japanese?

Thank you so much! :blush:

1 Like

“General” and “Gist” are separated by a comma, meaning they’re separate answers. WaniKani will accept either response as correct, but not both at once.

Maybe まあ、大まかな大体がわかった, if you really wanted to fit 大体 into the sentence, though I’m not sure I’d use both 大体 and 大まかな so close to each other.

4 Likes

“general gist” is a bit of a redundancy in terms, probably not grammatic in English but I’ve definitely heard it used because that’s Language for you

WK just doesn’t have EVERY synonym, you’re not wrong, it’s just a limitation on the service.

Add it as a user synonym and move on

6 Likes

Thank you so much!

I often add synonyms in my native language, but in this case I wasn’t entirely sure about the meaning. It sometimes happens I know what a kanji means but don’t know the word in English, it’s frustrating, but I learned to deal with it. I usually add a synonym in my native language or try to find a translation to my native language (which is not always easy as meanings tend to overlap from time to time, just like in Japanese). I saw the expression “THats the general gist of it” once, so I assumed it was one thing, didn’t even know “gist” can be used without “general” in front of it lol.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got the gist of it now though!

1 Like