The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Yeah, it would be one thing if the costumes were at least cool as ring gear… :sweat_smile:

Looking around at English pieces on it myself and yeesh yeah… the vibe reminds me of a Roy Lichtenstein painting, come to think of it – like (not said in so many words, but it ends up being the message I get from e.g.), “look we’ve made these low culture professionals into a fashionable pop art piece, how nice!” when they’re already super cool artists before you did anything. At least the wrestlers’ case they’re presumably paid something. I hope it’s a lot.

I feel like I was a lot more willing to extend benefit of the doubt before reading all these articles, with the thinking that hey, maybe the wrestlers get to come up with their own characters, etc. But the way it’s talked about in these, no, it’s the co-founder’s characters. It also honestly really bugs me that they don’t ever seem to give the wrestler’s professional name when mentioned in these, just the name of the Sukeban character. It’s not like they’re building a rock solid kayfabe or anything, and those are professional artists! Who you can go watch if you like their work!! Ah well.

About the ‘joshi’ stuff – Oh yeah, I’ve definitely been overcorrecting in trying to avoid it almost entirely, and there’s definitely plenty of circumstances where it makes total sense or would be unavoidable. That was honestly mostly just something I’ve been mulling over internally for a while that ended up as a tangent in the Sukeban article summary.

I’ve thought of the ‘luchador’ comparison too and it is definitely a compelling example. I do wonder though if I closely followed professional wrestling in Mexico and understood Spanish, if I might be similarly more sensitive to those terms being mis-used, or used dismissively/exociticizingly, as it does seem like they certainly can be… but of course it would be silly and dismissive in its own way to completely avoid the terms entirely.

I think the closest thing to an argument I can come up with for why the case of joshi pro wrestling is different, is ‘joshi’ being a normal word in Japanese that means something else. Like ‘joshi pro wrestling’ is the loan word and is completely fine on its own, and then ‘joshi’ derives out of that in a way that makes sense because of how loan words work but isn’t my favorite thing stylistically. At least two of the articles on Sukeban I was browsing through interpreted ‘joshi’ alone as the term for the art form / industry in Japan and used it like “joshi is a phenomenon in Japan” and it’s definitely petty and harmless but it did bug me a little to read (and ‘joshi’ alone as a noun for a pro wrestler is probably the usage I’m most reticent to use myself). I also don’t personally favor ‘puroresu’ or ‘puro’ as a shorthand for Japanese wrestling, since knowing some Japanese… c’mon, it’s just ‘pro wrestling’. プロレス actually pronounced sounds far more like ‘pro wres’ than pronouncing ‘puroresu’ out in English…

Descriptively of course, the loan word has no need to follow the usage in the original language at all and that’s completely fine and even good, but I do think in these cases sometimes the word choice that reads as a special foreign sounding term can sometimes to varying degrees read as more of a barrier or foreign marker in a negative sense, vs. the word choice just going with the straightforward translation of what the words mean in Japanese. But it of course is totally circumstantial and I wouldn’t begrudge anyone else’s well-intentioned word choice, and worrying about it at all is probably just an overreaction on my part against a few occasional goobers!

On the subject of shortcuts when typing - I confess I was impressed with the thing Tetsuya Naito said in one of his columns a while back about always saying the full Los Ingobernables de Japon instead of LIJ, in case someone was hearing it for the first time :grin: and still think about it pretty regularly. Even though I don’t really expect a wide audience to read those Shupro notes for example (and probably don’t want them to, the internet pro wrestling fandom being what it is…) and they’re ultimately just personal notes, I do try to take that a little bit to heart and stop myself from say, just using a last name instead of a full name when introducing the next interview, or shortening a championship title etc. It’s probably not enough to actually make any of it remotely comprehensible to someone who doesn’t already come in knowing plenty about the Japanese pro wrestling industry, but hey. And so anyway, probably the over dry and particular register of trying to precisely summarize a bunch of reporting being my primary output wordcount-wise has influenced my ponderings on the subject as well! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

週刊プロレス No.2269 (from October 2023)

2 Likes

週刊プロレス No.2270 (from October 2023)

1 Like

Yeah, it definitely has the vibe of trying to like “save” joshi wrestling by filtering it through a non-Japanese person’s vision of it, and I think part of that is trying to isolate their version of it from the existing industry, which means they want their core fanbase to experience their characters exclusively through them. Despite the WWE criticisms in at least one of these articles, it’s a very WWE-ish attitude.

Something that stood out to me when I watched their first show was all the riot grrrl music used as entrance themes. I’m someone with a legitimate interest in riot grrrl subculture (it was before my time, but it was centered around the pacific northwest (where I grew up), and it incorporated a lot of zine culture, so I researched it a fair amount when I was in grad school, and have attended lectures by a researcher specializing in riot grrrl zine librarianship (shout out to Janice Radway!)) as well as joshi wrestling, so you’d think I’d be all about that, right? But instead it came across to me as profoundly hollow.

Both riot grrrl subculture and joshi wrestling were and are grounded in their own time and place in history, and what resistance looks like in both of those worlds is very different. It feels like Sukeban applying riot grrrl to joshi wrestling was their attempt at placing a white American symbol of “girl power” over a Japanese cultural thing in order to whitewash it and make it “feminist” because in its natural Japanese form it must necessarily be regressive.

Something else to keep in mind, going with the “luchador” example, is that not all luchadores are Mexican. Stephanie Vaquer, for instance, is a luchadora who has wrestled most of her career in Mexico, but she’s Chilean, not Mexican. So I prefer “luchadores” and “lucha libre” because they feel more inclusive to me rather than “Mexican pro wrestling”, even if “Mexican” is being used to refer to the style and not the nationality of the people doing that style.

Obviously you can just call Stephanie a “woman wrestler” and drop the “lucha” signifier, and that’s totally valid, but I feel like there are times where it’s more useful to talk about luchadores as a group because they sometimes face unique challenges due to wrestling a style that is often not respected as much as other styles (you can criticize WWE’s or AEW’s treatment of luchadores as a whole, for example), or having their identities racialized by groups like CMLL, resulting in situations where CMLL wouldn’t allow their wrestlers to wrestle non-CMLL Hispanic wrestlers (but white wrestlers who were current champs of CMLL’s rival promotion AAA are totally fine).

I guess getting back to “joshi”, I would for instance call Kira a joshi wrestler but not a “Japanese woman wrestler” (because she’s not Japanese). She’s being brought up in the joshi style, lives in Japan and trains in a Japanese women’s wrestling dojo, and her wrestling background is indistinguishable from many joshi wrestlers.

From my own experience, a lot of the exoticization that I see is people seeing wrestling style as a result of a wrestler’s race rather than a product of the environment that said wrestler was raised in. Here’s where you’ll see people talking about “joshis” being “built different” or whatever, like referring to them being able to tough out rough bumps more than American women wrestlers, or working harder or being naturally more talented due to being Japanese.

I think a much less problematic way to talk about it is by acknowledging how the Japanese women’s wrestling industry sets up these women to put on these kinds of performances in a way that sets them apart from women trained in other circumstances. So I guess keeping the focus on “joshi” as the style and not as an indicator of race/gender. Therefore Kira is a joshi wrestler, and Mao from DDT can do a “joshi bridge out of a pin”, as I think Mr. Haku described it. And in that sense, I do find the loanword “joshi” to be useful and don’t feel that it can be easily replaced.

I guess my argument for this is that a loanword is pretty much never equivalent to the word in the language it was taken from, haha. Like, “女子” and “joshi” are not the same word, despite being pronounced roughly the same and one being derived from another.

A “コンビニ” is not perfectly equivalent to “konbini”, for instance, and 酒 is certainly not equivalent to “sake”. Usually the loanword ends up acquiring a more specific meaning, though sometimes it can be quite different in comparison to the word it originally came from, like マンション being the classic example.

When I first started studying Japanese, I saw some advice somewhere to treat all katakana loanwords as words you had to learn in their own right without treating them as basically like “freebies” that you already know because you know the English word, and the longer I’ve studied Japanese, the more correct I feel that advice is.

So in English, “joshi” is simply a different word than “女子”, and has its own associations and connotations. Like, “AEW女子世界王座” is “AEW Women’s World Championship” whereas “東京女子プロレス” is “Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling” even though you would use “女子” for both in Japanese.

Yeah, I’m also not a super big fan of that because it feels like the meaning drift has started to get too far away from the context of the word in Japanese where it feels almost too abstracted. I also don’t tend to use “joshi” alone as a noun for a pro wrestler just because I feel like I very rarely see that in Japanese? Like, I see 女子レスラー and 女子のプロレス, but rarely “女子” alone as a noun referring to a pro wrestler. I feel like it would feel a bit demeaning? Joshi wrestlers are 選手 just like the men.

Yeah, I’m also not a fan of “puro” as a shortener either haha though admittedly for me it’s mainly because the most annoying people on the internet use it a lot… :sweat_smile:

I guess I avoid “Teej” and “Nooj” for similar reasons, hahaha.

Even as someone who does generally think that Japanese pro wrestling is the best style of pro wrestling, I suppose I don’t like the air of superiority of many people who use “puro”. I feel like it comes with a smugness that I don’t see with like lucha libre fan accounts, for example. (You get it sometimes with joshi wrestling, too, though).

I think there’s certainly a lot to criticize about American pro wrestling, for instance, but I don’t like it when people see certain styles as like a contagion. I think pro wrestling is so good precisely because it’s global, and because different cultures’ styles influence each other. There are plenty of bad parts of アメプロ, but there’s also good stuff there, too, and I hate it when western fans complain about American wrestlers visiting Japanese promotions or getting booked strongly or whatever (obviously if you personally dislike an individual wrestler, complaining is fine, but there are many people who object on principle to the featuring of foreigners).

So I guess where the language thing comes down to for me is I dislike dehumanizing language or language that puts certain styles forth as superior or the default (I try to specify “American pro wrestling” when I’m talking about that, for instance, rather than using just “pro wrestling” to mean American wrestling, while other styles require an adjective. For me, Japanese pro wrestling is honestly more my default image of pro wrestling anyway…), but I do like to use language for clarifying styles and traditions that wrestlers come from because I think it’s useful to use the language that those styles and traditions themselves use for what they do.

American and Japanese fans alike will chant “lucha!”/“ルチャ!” to show their appreciation for a luchador’s performance and for the style as a whole, and to me at least it’s cool that both of those cultures/languages have adopted another language’s term to talk about the performers’ work rather than trying to fold it into their existing worldview.

3 Likes

Got not quite halfway though the translation for the TJPW June 9 Korakuen Hall show. I doubt I’ll finish it before the next show, but hopefully I’ll get close.

First match for this one was Runa/Haru vs Daisy Monkey, which was a whole lot of fun! I’d love to see Runa and Haru become tag champs someday, and I hope they stick it out with wrestling.

Daisy Monkey’s comments:

Both: “We won!”

Arisu: “We were in the opening match for the first time in a long time.”

Suzume: “I like to be the first batter.”

Arisu: “I’m pretty happy today.”

This was tricky: “なんならハルルナに取られちゃったねとか言ってたね(笑)”

“We were talking about it like ‘What if HaruRuna steal the win from us?’” (laughs)

Suzume: “That’s why I was so happy to serve as the first batter at Korakuen Hall alongside you. It was fun, huh?”

Arisu: “Yeah!”

I also wasn’t sure what this comment was about, exactly: “超笑顔だもん.”

“We’re smiling too much.”

Suzume: “We’re in top form, so I’m confident we’ll be able to defend our belts no matter who comes forward! Anyone is welcome!”

Arisu: “Bring it on! No matter who!”

Haru/Runa’s comments:

This was confusing: “琉那と組んで現タッグチャンピオンのでいじーもんきーの2人とタッグマッチができて嬉しかったし、タッグチャンピオンになってからというより今年に入って2人と闘うことができたので、久しぶりの感覚というか。やっぱ強いなと思いました.”

Haru: “I’m happy to team up with Runa and have a match against Daisy Monkey, the current tag team champions, and we were able to fight them this year rather than after they became tag team champions, so it feels like it has been a while, or rather I felt that they’re still really strong. I still have such a long, long way to go, but becoming a champion is one of my goals, so facing the two of them makes me want to work even harder.”

Runa: “Thank you very much for my last match as a 15 year-old. Getting to team up with Haru at the tail end of my 15th year, and facing Suzume-san and Arisu-san who have the belts, this was like a present for me, and I hope to make good use of this experience to get stronger and one day team up with Haru to challenge for the belts. I’m going to do my best!”

After that was Chika vs Uta, with the first victory (or draw, I suppose) for both wrestlers on the line. I was totally rooting for Uta in this, haha, because her fire has really impressed me, but of course life is cruel to rookies :smiling_face_with_tear:. Chika got the win with a submission I don’t think I’ve ever seen before!

Chika’s comments:

Nanase: “I won. Thank you very much. Uta-chan’s fighting spirit was so strong and I was almost overwhelmed by it, but I think I was able to get the win without losing even in terms of spirit. I’m really happy that I was able to win the first singles match between the class of '24 members. But I’m not satisfied with just this, and I want to aim even higher. Thank you very much!”

(What was the move at the end?)

I think I got this? But I wanted to double-check: “1回新木場の時に出したんですけど、今回は完成形で。名前が一応、稲荷鳥居で。これからももっともっと出していけたらいいなって思います.”

“I brought it out once at Shin-Kiba, but this is its fully realized form. The name is tentatively Inari Dorii. I hope I can bust it out more and more going forward.”

I actually saw that Dramatic DDT had it down as “Inari Torii”, so I reached out to him and let him know that the reading of 稲荷鳥居 is actually いなりどりい. That’s how my dictionary had it (and google backs me up), and I’m also pretty sure I hear her say it like that in the clip. I’ve learned that I have to sort of nip mistakes on his show recap posts in the bud or those mistakes quickly spread to everyone else’s English coverage of TJPW…

Uta’s comments:

This was a bit tricky: “…今日は私がかってキラキラするって決めていたのに、ずっと私が勝つんだって思ってたけど…実際にやってみると終わってキラキラはできなくて、ボロボロになっちゃって。なんか、ずっと強いのは分かってたけど、こうやって1対1で闘うと私が負けちゃんだなって.”

Uta: “I had decided that I was going to win and really shine today, but even though I thought the whole time that I was going to win… in actual practice, it ended with me not shining at all and getting totally wrecked. I’ve known how strong she is this whole time, but fighting her one-on-one like this, she had me beat. It felt like there was a stark divide between us, which is really frustrating. But from here on out, losing here has got me even more fired up. I’m going to build up my strength so that the next time we do it, I’ll be able to win.”

It also took me a couple tries to maybe parse this sentence: “もっともっと…すぐに結果は出なくても、数年後に別人になっていられるくらい、1日1日を大切にして、努力して、絶対に次は勝とうと思います.”

“Even if I don’t get results right away, I’m going to cherish each day and work hard, to the extent that I become a different person in a few years, and I’m definitely going to win the next one.”

After that was the tag team that could not be realized in the U.S.! Nao got her chance to tag with Saki again :smiling_face_with_tear:. I thought this match was super fun! Saki did a really great job instantly adapting to the TJPW humor and played off of the other wrestlers really well. I really hope she’s able to do more in TJPW in the future.

Nao/Saki’s comments:

Kakuta: “Thank you very much!”

SAKI: “Thank you!”

Kakuta: “I’m so happy! We were able to fight alongside each other, and she saved me so many times.”

This part was a bit tricky: “助けていただいたおかげなんですけど、お客さんはSAKIさんをいっぱい堪能したんじゃないかなと思って.”

“Thanks to SAKI-san’s help, I think the audience really got their money’s worth.”

SAKI: “I was really looking forward to tagging with Nao-chan. In the previous era, if anything, we’d be standing on opposite corners, which is to say we didn’t team up very much…”

This next bit was a bit tricky to translate:

角田 ないかもです!

Kakuta: “Maybe not!”

SAKI ないかもでしょ?

SAKI: “Maybe not, right?”

角田 ないかも!

Kakuta: “Maybe not!”

SAKI このような機会を。

SAKI: “With an opportunity like this.”

Kakuta: “Thank you very much.”

SAKI: “We made it happen in Japan.” (laughs)

Kakuta: “We lost the chance to do it in America because I had to miss the show.”

SAKI: “But we could do it in Japan.”

Kakuta: “I’m happy that we could do it in TJPW.”

SAKI: “Thank you very much.”

Kakuta: “Thank you! I’m so happy!”

RakuPom’s comments:

Raku: (to Pom, who is unable to sit) “Your butt hurts?”

Pom: “I can’t sit down.”

Raku: “Why don’t you show your butt to me.”

Pom: “Will you look at it? It’s split in two!”

Raku: “Your butt is split in two?”

Pom: “That’s not good!”

Raku: “So did you use up all of your strength?”

This was a bit confusing: “これはもう絵本にして大変な事件だと残すべきかもしれない.”

Pom: “Maybe this is already a serious incident that is best left to being a picture book.”

I also wasn’t sure about how to translate Raku’s “せっかくだからね” remark.

Raku: “It’s tough, huh? I was all tangled up (in streamers), and then it was over before I noticed.”

Pom: “I lost the match! But what I regret is that I also lost in janken!” (Pom plays a game of janken with Raku and wins, ending their comments on that note)

After that was a kind of random trios match on paper: Aja Kong, Kira, and Kamiyu vs Itoh, Mahiro, and Kaya. It ended up being incredibly fun in practice, and I loved it! Aja’s team all entered with Aja-Kong-style facepaint, which Kamiyu had embellished with glitter around her eyes. Not to be outdone, Itoh’s team all entered with Itoh-style pigtails (well, pigtail in Mahiro’s case). I think my favorite part of the match, though, was actually the Kamiyu vs Mahiro exchange, because you could see how well they knew each other, haha.

Kong³’s comments (I went with that because it feels like a more natural way to say it than “Three-Kong” in English):

Aja: “We got the win with Kong³.” (to Kira) “You’re cute.”

Kira: “Thank you so much.”

All of this was a bit tricky:

上福 何も言ってもらえない!

Kamifuku: “She can’t say anything!”

アジャ 一斗缶セーフだったのに、なんで(鳥喰のドロップキックに)差し出した?

Aja: “Even though I didn’t hit you with the eighteen liter can, why’d you offer me up (to take Toribami’s dropkick)?”

上福 本当に勝ちを狙うにはアジャさんを使うしかないと思って。

Kamifuku: “I thought if we really wanted to win, I had to use Aja-san.”

アジャ 前回は蹴られ、今回は差し出され。組むと踏んだり蹴ったりなんだけど。

Aja: “Last time she kicked me, and this time she offered me up. When we team up, I get stepped on and kicked.”

Kamifuku: “No, no, I have faith in Aja-san.”

Aja: “If there is a next time, will you do it properly and make it the third time’s the charm?”

Kamifuku: “Yes, of course. I am famously not a liar.”

(Both I and the cameraperson laughed at this.)

This was a bit tricky:

アジャ まあまあ楽しかったね。楽しみながらやって、(上福が)勝って締めてくれたのでまあいいですけど、真弥が「アジャ」「アジャ」って。

Aja: “Well, it was fun, wasn’t it. We had a lot of fun while doing it, and (Kamifuku) won and wrapped it up, so I guess it’s alright, but Mahiro was like, ‘Aja’, ‘Aja’.”

上福 アイツ、パートナーなんですけど、鈍感力がメチャクチャなヤツなんでやってしまうんですけど、根は悪いヤツじゃないんで。

Kamifuku: “That girl, she’s my partner, but she’s really not the sharpest tool in the shed, so even though she does stuff like that, she’s not a bad person at heart.”

Aja: “Kira also worked hard.”

Kira: “This was my first win.”

Aja: “Even though it wasn’t by your own power, it was your first win. You got your first victory without wearing your own face, but I’m glad I could contribute. Also, it was just announced that I’ll be having a singles match with Shoko Nakajima at the next Korakuen.”

This was tricky: “この1ヵ月間、私、山籠もりをして対応しようと思います。そうしないと中島翔子になかなか通用しない! 認めているというか本当にすごい選手なので、今日の楽しさとは違った意味の気の引き締め方をしようと思います.”

“So for the next month, I’ll be in the mountains training and coming up with countermeasures. If I don’t do that, I’ll have a hard time holding my own against Shoko Nakajima! I recognize her ability, or rather she’s a really amazing wrestler, so I will have to really focus my energy in a different sense from the fun that I had today.”

How about that Aja vs Shoko singles, huh? I’m excited for that!

Itoh³’s comments:

Toribami: “I’m disappointed.”

Itoh: “What day is it today?”

Mahiro: “June 9.”

Itoh: “June 9… the Itoh Respect Army is breaking up.”

Both: “Huh?? Why?”

This was a bit tricky: “アナタたちは何の戦力にもならない! もうダメ! 全然ダメ! 全部持っていかれた.”

Itoh: “You guys have nothing to contribute! Useless! Totally useless! We brought everything. I thought we were definitely going to leave our mark today. But despite doing everything that we could, we lost as usual, so there’s nothing I can say. Their side was too strong.”

Mahiro: “In the end, which one was the real Aja-san?”

Itoh: “Even I didn’t really know. There were so many of them… I don’t know, either.”

This was a bit tricky: “すごく強い人に乗られました、私.”

Mahiro: “A very strong person got on top of me.”

Itoh: “Really? A super strong person hit me, too… That scrambled my memory.”

Toribami: “After the eighteen liter can came out, who did I attack…?”

This was a case of it being tricky to put into English: “全然わからない…。というわけで今日の敗因はみんなアジャのペースでした.”

Itoh: “I have no idea. So the reason we lost today was because everyone fought like Aja. Let’s go home. We’re breaking up today.”

Both: “Let’s work together again, please.”

After that was Moka vs Hikaru Shida from AEW! I thought this was a fun one! My focus flagged a bit at the start because I had enjoyed the last one so much, but they reeled me back in by the end.

Shida’s comments:

Shida: “Thank you very much.”

I had a bit of trouble translating this: “いやぁ…いいね.”

“Well… that was nice. I participated in TJPW for the first time in more than two years. Last time, I teamed up with Moka, and at the time, I thought she could be a great wrestler if she just showed a little more feeling. I was a bit cocky, a few years ago. I never thought she’d grow this much so soon. I can’t lose to her. I’ve won belts in the U.S., and I feel that I’ve grown, but… TJPW is a threat. Having experienced that threat up close like this, will I become even stronger? When TJPW invites me again, I want to show you all a version of Hikaru Shida who has changed even more. So please look forward to it!”

Moka’s comments:

Miyamoto: “I had a singles match with Shida-san. I had teamed up with Shida-san once before, about two years ago, but this was my first time facing her. I wanted to seize this chance and make it my own. Even though I lost in the end, I was able to give it my all, and it was a match where I really felt that I’d grown more than before… So going forward, I also want to do title challenges and such in the future.”

That’s roughly the first half of the show! Hoping to get around to finishing the second half soon.

1 Like

I think this is ok - it seems like this use of なんなら not involving a proposal but just as a more general conditional is a language change happening most among the younger generations.

I would probably go with “You” instead of “We” because of her body language and tone saying it feels like jokingly reminding someone of something to me, but also if it were “We were talking about it like…” then it would presumably be with each other, but with the verb “We 言ってた” would read more as “we were saying that to you” rather than like ‘we were talking about it to each other.’ So it’s more natural to interpret it as Arisu was saying it, I think.

She points at her own face when she says it. (amusingly, after visibly noticing it when she was touching her own face)

So I’d go with something like “I can’t stop smiling!”
Incidentally, it sounds to me like “超笑顔だろう?” so “I can’t stop smiling, can I?” would be good too.

Haha, this one’s just an amusing transcriber ミス.
The video sounds to me like:
2人と闘うことができたので
should be:
2人と闘うことがなかったので
which I think you’ll agree makes it make much more sense. Haru fought Daisy Monkey since they became tag champions, or rather (correcting to a larger and more precise estimate), since the beginning of the year (so it feels like it’s been a long time).

I think she’s probably technically talking about herself here, incidentally, just since they’re not that regular of a team and so have different match histories.
Looking at cagematch, Haru last opposed either of Daisy Monkey in December (and both of Daisy Monkey together in April of 2023, while Runa fought Daisy Monkey and Haru in a 6-man in April of this year.

Yeah seems fine!

Here the ないかもです! is filling in a finish to the unfinished sentence of what SAKI Was going to say: 組んだ(ことが)…
as in 組んだことがないかも - “it may well be we’ve never tagged together”

So ないかもです! should be something like “Maybe never!”
followed by “Right? Maybe never!”
etc.

Then here:

SAKI このような機会を。
SAKI: “With an opportunity like this.”
Kakuta: “Thank you very much.”

SAKI is saying she’s really glad / thankful for the opportunity (since they’ve maybe never had it before). And her ending is implied / gets cut off (she says うれしい in the video) / is completed by what Kakuta says.
I would just fill it in in English: “I’m very glad for the opportunity” or some such.

Haha, I’m amused at the transcriber just quietly avoiding trying to transcribe Pom’s previous sentence to this which is said with very Pom-like energy

Anyway I would probably say this is saying like, it should be made into a picture book so as to be recorded (for posterity) as a terrible incident. that kind of 残す. Not exactly the same as ‘best left in a picture book (i.e. should not happen in real life).’
(I kind of like putting ‘posterity’ in there for the little extra bonus pun on ‘posterior’ haha).

Maybe a little more like “It was tough, huh?” Like I think I would interpret it roughly as like “ah yeah since you went through so much trouble (might as well get a picture book out of it)”
Maybe “Since you went through such a tough time, yeah” or something if you want.

should janken be translated to Rock Paper Scissors? I suppose the target audience’ll probably know it fine…

Haha, this part is a comment on how Aja looks over at Kira and compliments her:

And then looks over at Kiryu but turns back without saying anything

“I don’t get a compliment!” would probably be what I would go with.
Aja’s next comment is then prefaced with a 違う, she’s explaining what came to her head looking at Kamiyu that overrode the compliment she would have given otherwise.

I think here she maybe (?) stops herself from saying just 鈍感 which this translate would fit great for, and swaps in the nicer, compliment-ized 鈍感力, which seems to be like insensitivity as in letting things slide off of you. Maybe something like “she can be very oblivious” would be slightly less mean while still matching the context of her mistaking Kira-Aja for Aja-Aja.

…ってね

This one seems like another transcriber mistake to me. Her initial 二年 only sounds like いいね.
What she says in the video is:
いやぁ…二年ぶり?二年以上ぶりかな
”Wow, it’s been… two years? Or even longer since I last participated in TJPW.” would maybe be my attempt.

1 Like