TextFugu compared to Genki 1&2

So has anyone had the opportunity to use both? I was wondering how they compared and which was better. I currently have Genki 1 but I found it hard to practice what I learned outside of just writing composition. I don’t have anyone to practice with and foolishly I didn’t buy the answer key as well. So I found it hard to tell when I was answering something wrong as well. I know TextFugu is geared more towards self teachers but how well does it stand up with preparing you for the JLPT? Is their maybe a better resource out there? Sorry if this is a frequently asked question I couldn’t find a most asked section. Thank you

TextFugu has substantially less content and what it does have isn’t presented as well. Genki has more exercises, too. Plus, TextFugu is a dead project.

Just get the answer key. But, also check out Cure Dolly’s YouTube videos to see why Genki might not be the best resource for study.

3 Likes

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think TextFugu is currently accepting new signups, anyway. The team is indefinitely working on a successor, EtoEto.

3 Likes

I really don’t want to start a silly argument, but I see this posted a lot. I think picking a study resource and sticking with it is the best approach, and while genki may not be the BEST – there aren’t really as many options that give you as many workbook problems, listening comprehension exercises and other practice things to discourage people from using genki.

I think if you want to learn good Japanese and quickly (something I admittedly have not yet achieved myself), using a textbook like genki and meeting with a tutor on italki or something works really well if you can afford it.

EDIT: The art is also really cute

4 Likes

Since you already have Genki I: there’s an ongoing study group currently in the forums, and I think someone always posts the answer keys. Of course you can also ask questions and discuss grammar. Maybe that would help you get more out of Genki?

6 Likes

Please don’t misunderstand. Of all the popular Japanese textbooks, Genki is probably still the best out there for self study. That doesn’t make it good, though. It’s still incredibly flawed in the way that it teaches grammar. Honestly, watch the first 1-3 videos from Cure Dolly and you’ll see what I mean. Alternatively, pick up “Making Sense of Japanese” by Dr. Jay Rubin, which introduces some of the same ideas. Japanese is much easier when you learn it in a logical way.

I still use my Genki texts for the listening practice, the writing prompts, and some of the exercises. There’s value in there, and in the workbook, too. Best to have the answer key, though. It’s 864 yen on Amazon JP, though anyone buying outside of Japan will pay a slightly lower price since Amazon won’t collect the sales tax.

4 Likes

I was in the same boat, I had looked through Genki and while it is a great resource and it works well for a lot of people, it wasn’t really for me. I really prefer Minna No Nihongo, you will definitely run into a few of the same issues as Genki since it is another textbook series, but luckily the answer key is included in the back of the book, it is written in all Japanese so for me, that gave me much more practice than having the English right alongside to read, but it isn’t for everyone. Another bonus for it is that you can get additional practice workbooks, writing, standard exercises, and kanji. I am also studying to take the JLPT this December, but for that specifically I have been using more JLPT centered resources such as Nihongo So Matome and the Try! series, they have been really helpful giving me relevant things to the JLPT exam specifically. I also agree about maybe an italki tutor/teacher if that is something in your budget. It has made me much more confident in actually using the Japanese that I am learning. I do it once a week, and it is one of the highlights of my week! Hellotalk is also a helpful way for free to be able to speak to native people who would maybe want to learn your native language as well. It is definitely an option for practice actually using some of the knowledge you are acquiring! Hope that helps a little! =D

1 Like

Well I feel stupid I should have checked if there was a GENKI study post. I’m really just trying to learn as much as I can before going back to college next year. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I figured, I’m actually looking to learn Japanese for a career in Translating. College hasn’t been a option for me for a while so I was self learning. Everything’s i read said genki is good to start with but it gets you to around JLPT 4.

It gets you to around N4 but remember you’ll need both short and long term goals. So GENKI can be a shorter term goal and translating can be longer term. I’m getting close to wrapping up genki 2 and will move onto tobira after that, but I think it’s good to just focus on keeping consistent habits:)

1 Like

No kidding it’s been hard setting 2 hours of my day aside to just work on my Japanese. I know with wanikani the advice is to start genki at around lvl 10. Do you believe that holds up to be true or the sooner you start genki the better?

I think Wanikani meant if you haven’t started learning grammar by level 10, you should definitely start. That’s what I’ve been reading in multiple forums, and I agree. I also misunderstood, thinking that I should wait, but the sooner you start learning grammar, the better.

In my opinion, it’s also harder to use beginner grammar books (or I guess in my case Genki and Japanese from Zero) with more kanj understanding since they assume you’re starting with zero Japanese kana knowledge. The only romaji and only hiragana text made it harder for me to concentrate :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.