Genki seems solid, any last suggestions before I make the jump?

So from what I’ve read, people really recommend Genki for grammar. I’m currently using Tae Kim’s guide, but it seems that Genki is the better choice, it seems more satisfactory to the learning needs of a student.

I hope that my learning style will mesh well with Genki. To give you an idea of what I’m looking for in a grammar resource, I’m definitely a slower learner, and the fact that Genki offers a workbook, so that the learner can actually use what they’ve learned, means a lot to me. I’ve also heard it gives pretty good grammar explanations (which is extremely important. Like I said, I’m not the fastest learner. Finding thorough and clear grammar explanations are like hitting the jack pot, haha.)

What would you guys say is the best place to buy Genki, workbooks, answer keys, audio CD’s, whatever else included? In regards to those features sold alongside the textbook itself, is there anything I could possibly leave out and lessen the price a bit? I’m totally chill with purchasing used items as long as there in good quality (as for the textbooks, I’d really prefer no answers to any questions be written in the book. Notes and highlighting is good though.)

When it comes down to it, I may find that learning Japanese really won’t be a big pursuit of mine in the future, and I don’t want to be stuck with books and resources that took a lot of cash to get. But that’s beside the point.

What do you think? Does Genki seem like a good fit?

Anyway, thanks!!

Genki 1 (rev 2) comes with the cd and I’m glad it did. Listening practises are always good. I ripped them to my phone so I can listen them where ever I happen to study.

You will need Genki 1 textbook, workbook and answer key. Answer key has all the right answers for genki 1 and 2 so it is one time purchase.

Cheapest price is really a matter of where do you live. In my area I didn’t have the option to buy used. Few local bookstores were askin quite a lot so to the internet I go. Postages, taxes and customs included the cheapest place for me (at the time) was white rabbit Japan.
https://shop.whiterabbitjapan.com/pages/search-results?q=genki&p=1
But for you it could be amazon or some othe place.

1 Like

Cheapest buying option was Amazon Japan for me, I live in Sweden, so it might differ for you. Buying it from Amazon Japan, after shipping and import costs, was still cheaper than buying from a physical shop or Swedish website.

1 Like

Like Stagrid says - buying in the UK you’d be cheaper to get Genki directly from Amazon Japan.

If you can find the first edition second hand in your country then you’ll probably find it’s MUCH cheaper than the new one. There’s very little difference in the main content although you’ll have to work around vocab like “Language Lab” (remember them?), “Discos” and “Tape Recorders” :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re in the U.S. you can get it from Barnes and Noble online. It came quickly.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s still there, but they also have iPhone apps that I’m fairly certain are free. I might be mis-remembering, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.