Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 7

bunpro is pretty cool. i’m using it too right now and sometimes when a grammar point gets discussed here, i just search for it on the site and add it to my reviews, nothing is restricted by levels and the scoring is basically in your hand, it’s a really convenient way to get some more reps in.
i’m pretty focused on getting through wanikani too, so i add new points really slowly, it’s almost relaxing after the insane strictness of wanikani.

I have been actively trying to learn Japanese since April of last year, and feel like I haven’t made as much progress as I could if I were to focus my efforts a little better.

i feel you, i’ve tried learning japanese on and off, stopped the first time after learning kana, second time 1k words into the core2k deck in anki, stopped again after redoing the whole core2k deck in anki still failing to read, because nothing was sticking. wanikani+bunpro is really working for me this time and the book club is so so so useful, pretty sure we’re all gonna make it bros.

5 Likes

In my opinion, this is the best way to use Bunpro. Like with SRS for vocabulary words, reviews on Bunpro aren’t there to learn grammar, but rather to reinforce the grammar you’ve learned from consuming native material, and to help keep the grammar relatively fresh in mind until you encounter it again in native material.

4 Likes

I definitely intend to use BunPro in that way. I just worry adding a second SRS system right now would be too much to fit into my schedule, even if it’s less intensive than WaniKani. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Right now, reading manga is your grammar SRS =D

3 Likes

I think the reason an SRS works so well for Japanese grammar is that a lot of it is basically just applied vocabulary. There honestly aren’t that many real conjugations, most of what we call grammar is basically just some combination of a conjugation and a vocabulary item. It’s also why I think bunpro works so well, they essentially just force you to remember which vocabulary item is used, and stick that in an SRS. It’s why I feel the advantages and drawbacks are so similar to using an SRS for vocabulary. But it’s great at making sure you remember an item after you’ve seen it used :grin:

6 Likes

To be honest this is part of why I didn’t end up sticking with bunpro. It was nice to have a checklist of grammar points but at the same time I’m happy enough just reinforcing it through reading for now

2 Likes

Despite starting really late (Wednesday night) due to burnout, I finished the chapter last night! After taking another pass at the places I had trouble with, I only have a few more questions:

Page 11

もしかして 高木さんって 案外ドジ なのかいっ!?

What is he the last part: “なのかいっ”? It seems like な, の and か are the usual sentence enders, but what is いっ? Is it just a cut off part of the sentence?

Page 12

そうだねー、たしかにちょっと 忘れっぱいかも。

What is っぱい here? I feel like it’s either a helper word that I don’t know, or it’s short for something, but my internet searching skills are failing me.

Page 14

絶対 忘れて なかったろ!

I think that ろ at the end here is short for だろう, as in “it seems like”. So this sentence would mean “(you) definitely didn’t forget, it seems like”. Is this right?

Page 16

もう カンベン してよぉお!

This one I feel like I know the words but can’t get the general meaning (pretty much the opposite of my other questions!). It doesn’t help that I don’t know who’s speaking.

• もう - Now / soon
  • カンベン - Pardon / forgiveness
  • して - て-form of する
  • よ - Sentence ender for exclamation.
  • ぉお - ???

“Do forgiveness now”? As in “I’ll forgive you soon” or is it “You’ll forgive me soon”?

As always, you all asking and answering questions have been super helpful. :smiley: Thank you!

7 Likes

I think it’s this one: かい

It’s っぽい.

7 Likes
Page 14

You are right that the ろ is short for だろう. I would translate it as “You definitely didn’t forget, did you?” I didn’t get the sense of uncertainty that “it seems like” implies. It’s more like an accusation. Like the “didn’t you?” in “You ate my pudding, didn’t you?”

Page 16

In this sentence, かんべんして means like “let me off the hook”. Nishikata is saying it. He’s basically had enough of Takagi’s teasing, and is asking her to lay off. I believe the ぉお is just him extending the よ out of exasperation.

7 Likes

:man_facepalming: I need to stop misreading ぽ for ぱ. No wonder I didn’t find anything when I searched.

Thanks both of you! Questions resolved. On to the next chapter!!

4 Likes

We’ve all been there :grin: God knows the Wanikani community is littered with posts of mine where I misread stuff :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

\o/ Just finished chapter 7

Chapter 7 took me 4 days, my goal was to ‘catch up’ as far as the end of chapter 7 to then start volume 2 reading, but it looks like I still have a few days to spare so maybe I’ll try race through some of Chapter 8 as well…

Some questions while I’m here, I tried to dig for answers in the thread, apologies if I missed discussions on them >.>

自転車はどうすんの
What’s up with すん?
I feel like I’ve heard this in anime, but that isn’t helping me find a meaning =
Is this some funky compression due to the adjacent の? My brain keeps guessing すなの, but I have zero idea =/

7.11.2 (maybe self answered?!?)

いやーいつもちゃんとしてると思ってたけど、まさかだよ。
In the act of trying to phrase this as a question things ended up kind of clicking, but I’ll leave this here for entertainment purposes.

My original problem was around what extra nuance 思ってた (思って + いた) has over just 思った, since both are past, the normal “-ing” we get from いる seemed to not add anything.

But then I realised that in English we make this distinction too…
“I was thinking that mice liked cheese” vs “I thought that mice liked cheese”

TL;DR language is weird, thanks for giving me a space to ask questions as its very helpful.

高木さんちまで続くかと思ってヒヤヒヤした。。。
What is this ち doing? I have zero ideas what it is for, and I keep thinking I must have misread it, but every time I check it is still there staring back at me.

This chapter was SUPER fun in terms of grammar, a bunch of things came back SRS style from previous chapters which was helpful, and other parts just kind of clicked into place nicely. It was a good level of difficulty, parts were hard, but it wasn’t pages and pages of internal monologue.

I particularly enjoyed working through pages 11 and 12 of this chapter, there was a bunch here that at first I thought I didn’t know but I was able to rub sticks together to make fire.

4 Likes

I think you’ll find this post VERY useful :slight_smile: I’ll see if you can figure it out on your own, cause it’ll stick better that way :wink:

This is another contraction, but it’s not listed in the post I mentioned. I think the initial ん disappeared because of さん already ending in ん. んち is short for のうち. So Takagisan’s house.

5 Likes

Wow what an amazingly quick reply, thank you so much =D

Ohhh I hadn’t seen that thread before, thank you for the link and hint! (I very much appreciate leaving some of the working to me).

Oh drats, this came up in a previous chapter so I’ve even been through this pain already hahaha, thanks for patiently explaining it - hopefully it’ll stick this time… or the next…

3 Likes