Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 1

The bold numbers are the page numbers for the whole volume, I think. So in the spreadsheet they are currently showing that number. To get the page number for the chapter (the smaller number) you can subtract 2 from the overall page number. (You can see the two numbers again on page 15/17.

I believe this was discussed in the home thread somewhere, with most agreeing that due to the page number for each chapter appearing more often on the pages, that those would be used in the spreadsheet.
Sooo… we might want to change that in the spreadsheet? Since it seems to have caused confusion.

5 Likes

Hi all! I read the whole chapter last night! The vocab helped a lot, and reading the detailed grammar explanations here too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

btw, the link to the homethread directs you to a different bookclub :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Agreed. The switch to chapter numbers was made yesterday because page numbers appeared so infrequently that people would have to do some sleuthing to find the right page while helping other people with their questions. I have added an extra column for the chapter page numbers.

The spreadsheet was filled before we settled on using the chapter page numbers for discussion, so that’s why it was using volume page numbers. So don’t worry, it’s not you, hehe :slight_smile: There are now some chapter page numbers as well.

5 Likes

Just read chapter pages 4 and 5 and going to note down what I understood - any help with the parts I was uncertain on/any corrections to parts I’ve misunderstood would be appreciated

Pages 4 and 5

「ゆがんじゃったのかなー、ちょと西片あけてくんない?」
I can’t bend this(?)… I wonder… Hey, Nishikata, couldn’t you open this for me?

• Not sure with the first part here, perhaps she’s saying she doesn’t want to break it?

「なんだ、簡単にある…」
What, it’s easy to open…

「なんだ西片。」
What is it, Nishikata?

「な、なんでもありません。」
Nothing

「西片ってホントいいはんのうするわー。」
That was a really great reaction

• From what I can find the わ here is a feminine interjection at the end of some sentences? Is it emphasising anything in particular?

「う、うるさいなっ。」
Ugh, shut up.

• From what I could find the small つ here was for signifying a glottal stop, indicating emphasis?

「くそ…また、まんまとやられた」
Damn… again, successfully tricked.

「しかもオレがやろうとしたことをさきに…」
Moreover, [honestly not sure with the rest here, think maybe it’s saying something along the lines of “she beat me to it”, but I’m not sure]

「そもそも高木さんがオレに助けを求めるなんておかしいんだ。」
After all, Takagi-san asking me for help is unusual.(?)

• Not sure what the なんて here is

「そこで気づけよオレ…」
At the time, (she) noticed me(?)…

• This one I’m not very sure on either - I think what’s happening is that オレ is being modified by 気づけよ to become something like “me who was noticed” and そこで is meaning something like at that time?

「さすがたかぎさんんだ」
As expected, Takagi-san.

4 Likes

Excellent explanation! Now it is totally clear to me what is ment plus the spreadhseed is changed accordingly, too. :smiley: I appreciate it very much!

4 Likes

Hello everyone, and thanks for the awesome explanations so far, they really help a lot.

Here’s a question of mine (page 7):
消しゴムに好きな人の名前書いて、使い切ったら両想いになれるってやつあったよね。

This is a long one, but I think I understand most of it. You write the name of the person you like on the eraser, and when you stop using it (it’s used up?), it results in mutual love. But this last part, ってやつあった, is giving me trouble, I can’t parse it.

Similarly, あー、あったねそんなの。seems to me very incomplete and indecipherable. Is he just repeating what she said with some disbelief?

6 Likes

Just a quick hint, you need to use straight quotes instead of curly quotes to get the ‘details’ thing to work :slight_smile:

" <— straight quote

3 Likes

Ah, thanks, I used spoiler tags instead when I saw it didn’t work!

3 Likes
Summary

I think って is short for という and やつ is 奴, so in this case I think ‘thing’ works best, because if it had been ‘people’ then I think いた would’ve been used instead of あった.

For this use of という, check out this link and scroll down to explanation number 6 (‘a function as relative pronoun’).

あった is in the past tense because it refers to something she learned or heard of in the past.

'Wasn’t there a thing where, if you write the name of someone you love on an eraser and use it up, it can become mutual love?

Summary

Ok, so this is something that happens a lot in manga and spoken Japanese. They say what they want to say about X, and then only at the end do they clarify what exactly X is that they’re talking about. We do this in English too:

‘That’s a great place, huh, Japan?’

So he’s saying ‘Ahhh, there was such a thing’.

そんな is actually an adjective, meaning it needs to go together with a noun, but in this case の acts to make it a noun in its own right. Hence ‘such a thing’. You will see の used like that a lot once you become aware of it.

12 Likes

Thank you! You explained it so well that I now wonder how I couldn’t have seen it myself. Truth is this って thing is always giving me trouble whenever it appears, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually.

4 Likes
Summary

ゆがんじゃった is a contracted form of ゆがんでしまった, so “it’s bent” is how I would put it. しまう looks super weird when you come across it the first few times but after a while you’ll get used to it :grin:

Summary

なんて can be a huge pain in the arse to translate sometimes, in my opinion. I think here it is expressing surprise. Like in English ‘how unusual!’.

Summary

気づけ is an imperative, which is reinforced by よ. そこで means ‘at that point’, I think. As for why オレ comes at the end instead of the front, please check my previous post :slight_smile:

‘I should’ve realised at that point.’

Knowing something with your head is one thing, but ‘feeling’ it naturally as you read comes with experience. Just keep on working at it :slight_smile:

Also, thanks both of you for your questions, it forced me to look more closely than I did when I first read it :ok_hand:

16 Likes

A looked up a lot of words but successfully read the first part. Thank you all for the really helpful grammar explanations and translations. Wanted to go in cold, but I had a great time.

5 Likes

On top of page 3 the sentence ending with …完成さ。can someone explain why it is さ?

The dictionary says 完成 means complete. A noun or suru verb. So would have expected the sentence to end with だ or する. Has it something to do with the first clause ending in えば、probably some grammar I have to catch up on. Thanks for all the help.

8 Likes

I’m sure there’ll be plenty more where those came from as I continue :wink:

This is certainly a bit of a trial by fire but I’m just glad I can even understand as much as I’ve managed so far - learning from textbooks/guides is one thing, but actually reading something for myself has been very rewarding so far so I’ll be sure to try and keep up

5 Likes

Welp, I’ve read the first chapter and realised just how much grammar and vocab there is to learn. Anyway I’ve googled\looked up in the spreadsheet most of the vocab, but I’ve got some questions left.

1. やる - means to do, right? How is it any different from する?
  2. どしたの - is it just shortened version of どうしたの?
  3. (page 5) あかなくって - what is this verb form?
  4. (page 8) どうすれば - what is this verb form?
  5. Are the long vertical lines(like on page 10), the same as horizontal ones. Do they make the vowel sound before them longer?
  6. (page 17) 顔するわね - what is the role of わ here?

I realise that I really lack in grammar, so I would love to learn any good sources to study it from.

9 Likes

Here are other resources you might like:

Organic Japanese with Cure Dolly (Recommended for her overview on syntax and が)
Tae Kim’s Guide to Learning Japanese (General purpose grammar book, though not as much exercises as other options)
Bunpro (All-in-one grammar SRS)
Don’s Japanese Conjugation Drill (Grammar exercise and practice)
I also know the Genki books tackle grammar, though having not gone through them I don’t have any opinion on them. Worth a try though.

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone for such great questions and answers!
I came on here earlier today prepared to be the first to ask questions - and was glad to see that not only had others asked and answered questions, but that many of them were the same ones I had been stuck on =D

3 Likes
  1. Yes, no difference as far as I know.
  2. Yes
  3. Not sure about this one…
  4. Conditional. どうする
  5. Yes
  6. Emphasis or emotion. Femenine language
5 Likes

EDIT: After posting I saw that @emucat had also replied, sorry for the duplication (I was caught up trying to fact check my answers as I’m very unconfident)

Please take everything I’m saying with handfulls of salt, it is very likely I’m mistaken.

Yes, they both do mean “to do”.
やる and する are sometimes interchangeable, but they also seem to have some distinct uses which I’m not overly familiar with.
If you have a noun+する you cannot always substitute in やる.
やる can also be considered more rude/informal/strong compared to する.

https://kawakawalearningstudio.com/all/different-ways-of-using-やる-yaru-and-する-suru/

I think this is the Conditional form.

する = to do
すれば = if (I/subject) do(es)

I think so, I think they are drawing out the sound before them to be longer, like in English we might exclaim in surprise “eehhhhhhh”.

I think this is the feminine sentence ending particle, used to give a soft emphasis, but I could be mistaken.
Japanese the manga way says “… offers soft, feminine emphasis. … in order to soften the abruptness …”
So it is similar to よ and ね except softer.

6 Likes