🐌🏖 Team Snails on Vacation 🐌🏖

Yay! Level 7, FINALLY.

10 Likes

Level 24, 13 days 1 hour, sooner than expected, I’m not being a very good snail :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Lol I slowed down a bit this time! 16 days and 8 hours from level nine to level ten… Had a slow start and the month was super busy but I still got a little bit done each day! The slow pace will definitely be continuing this month with lots of life stuff going on though. Gotta embrace the snail!

9 Likes

Excited to finally make it to level 20 in a little over a month and a half! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

Being a snail, a sight like this is very rare:

I know it will only last for a few hours, because then new lessons will be unlocked and I won’t do them today.
But I have to say, it is a nice feeling having both lessons and reviews down to zero for the first time in a while :relaxed:

10 Likes

Made it to level 16 after 17 days, 10 hours :partying_face:
happily snailing away :snail:
But for some reason, even though I’m getting a bit faster with the level-ups recently I still feel like I’m taking my time more. Maybe it’s the effect of the burned items, just getting a lot of them completely out of the review system :relaxed:

9 Likes

Oops, failing on my snailing, 10 less days this time :scream: 26 days 2 hrs!
Not a bad thing, seemed to go better than usual - have also upped daily lessons from 5 to 6.

I’ve been putting in extra time concentrating on some leech squashing. Using the Leech Trainer mostly, have got them down to under 30 from 120. Working on getting to 0 every day.
Working on Item Inspector (thanks again @prouleau for this amazing piece of work) have seen my leech count there in dropping as well. First time in a while it’s been below 260 at my current settings. I guess something is working!!!

Nice one! Haven’t seen a sparkly Crabigator for a long time. :sparkles: :crabigator: :sparkles:

12 Likes

A seventy-one day journey from level 27 to level 28. If my fountain pen, まんねんひつ, is my ten-thousand-year writing brush, then surely WaniKani is my ten-thousand-year hobby.

11 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Saga, and I’ve been on Wanikani a loooong time (though inactive for 5 or 6 years of that time). I majored in Japanese in college and have quite strong speaking and listening skill, but my reading ability (particularly kanji) has always been my weakness.

When I’m on top of things, I usually level up in about 11 days. And when I’m not, I sit at the same level for months on end - haha. I just got back from a three month “hiatus” in which I got completely distracted by graduate school, work, a new kitten, and playing Rune Factory 5 (though it’s in Japanese, so at least I was doing a good bit of reading practice)! I came back to 1600+ reviews, which was daunting. At one point I had 230 apprentice level items. But I finally got through everything, and now I’m back down to my usual 125 apprentice items! :tada:

Now I’m trying to knock out some of my leeches and get through my vocabulary from last level before moving on to the level 14 kanji. This will make level 14 take a while, but I think it’ll be good in the long run. Anyways, it’s nice to meet you all!

13 Likes

Hi! I’m very new to WaniKani (joined towards the end May), and team snail sounds like it’s exactly what I need. :snail: I will start college in August and since I’ve always been really interested in Japan I’m very excited to be able to take Japanese classes! I thought it would be a good idea to tackle the big, scary monster called kanji right after I learned kana, which is why I joined WaniKani.

I’m only level 4, but I can already feel that I should take things slower or else I will burn out. And I know that I won’t have a lot of time once I start college, so it’s a good idea to find a healthier rhythm now. I also just discovered the vacation mode because of this thread, so that’s good to know as well! I look forward to snailing away with you all!

8 Likes

Hi @st3lla @saga welcome! saga don’t forget to add yourself to the leaderboard.

4 Likes

Thank you for your comment…I learned a new word from your post! :heart:

2 Likes

Level 10 is the slowest as of yet. i should level up tomorrow, but I have 250 in apprentice, oops.
So either I fail one review, or I just postpone reviewing my kanji.

For now, it’s deffo my depression keeping me from remembering and going on. It’s not that easy to get new information in my brain.

I haven’t done Genki in weeks/months. It would be just too much.

But still, I try to keep on going :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Level 25! 16 days 11 hours. WK is getting just a little bit easier, I think.

8 Likes

Leveled up to 15! 10 days and 18 hours, which is right on pace with my average. I was so happy! And then I saw that I had 93 new lessons, hahaha.

Since I’m starting to hit levels where I know only about 50% of the new items (or maybe I just got really unlucky with the level 14 vocab), I’m starting a new strategy. At first, I did all of my lessons at once since there were relatively few new (to me) items. Now, though, I think I have to cut down. So instead I did all of the radical lessons, 10 kanji, and 15 vocab words today. Hopefully I can get away with this lesson pace for a few levels before I have to slow down further.

7 Likes

Update: I’m now halfway through 31. Definitely had days where I didn’t want to work on reviews, and my bunpro/jpod101 level is still far lower, but I haven’t dropped any of them to the degree that I have previously. I’m actually quite proud that I kept my word and started in earnest after school finished in May, and that I didn’t rush new kanji each day.

In other news, I’ve started looking into learning Pine (a custom language used on the Tradingview platform), and made some progress reading Investopedia articles (basic stuff, like trends and volume) as well as halfway through a free intro class on Technical Analysis. I also finished Yotsubato volume 2 with the help of the vocab and sentence list, finished going through Genki I (a lot of it was review, thankfully, but some new words) and am slowly starting Teasing Master Takagi-San (realizing now there was no way I could’ve kept up with the book club, there is so much more to parse per sentence).

My plans for this upcoming week:
japanese:

• hit lvl 32 on WK
  • read ch. 2 of Genki II
  • finish CH. 1 of Takagi
  • start Jpod101’s beginner season (do atleast 3 lessons)
    analysis:
  • finish the TA starter class
  • write a basic Pine script
    fun stuff:
  • listen to the new Tyler project
  • practice singing every other day
  • finally attend first meeting for the CSU Japanese club
  • beat Scythe 2 first ep. (this could also be play videogames, I just keep putting it off)
7 Likes

@fray has reset nooooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

How does the speed statistic work? Do we add the days from all the levels between our join level and current level? Or just post the most recent level up time? Big snail here

2 Likes

It’s this one

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like