Te form in quotation + small doubts

Hello. I recently learnt about the short forms an how one can use them to quote someone else. Now, my question is can I use them with Te forms to join sentences and then quote? As in>

1.ペペさんは明日、一日中勉強して、友達と夜中にパーティーに行くと言っていました。

Also, in the Te form with the auxuliar iru, the iru is the one which gets shortened, right? As in like this:

2.彼は勉強していると言っていました。残念!

What about in the past?

お母さんは子供の時、借家していたと言っていました。

Thank you! By the way, I do not know what is wrong with my Japanese comma.

1 Like

Do you mean like 勉強してる and 言ってました? If that’s what you meant, then yes, that’s the い getting dropped from いる. Is that what you meant or did you mean something else?

They look normal to me. Why do you think they are wrong?

Sorry for not being clear enough.
I mean it as in:

今勉強しています(long) = 今勉強している(short)

The commas look well now. They were weirdly in middair while I was typing. Thanks!

This is why I find it unfortunate when grammar resources teach ます form before dictionary form. It’s better to think of the dictionary form (“short form” as you called it) as the starting point, with everything else coming from that.

Now that I understand the question, the answer is yes, the いる is what changes. First you take する and put it in te form, making it して. Then you add いる, making it している. If you want to make it polite, you conjugate いる, making it しています.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.