Tandem users

Hi there! I will spam you today once more. Is anyone using Tandem app (where you can find language exchange partners). How has your experience been so far?

What is Tandem?

Litehawk said... What is Tandem?
 An app where you can interact with native speakers just like you through video calls and chats. For instance there might be a Japanese student willing to learn English. The app shows a match by languages, location, age and gender depending on your preferences. It's really user friendly.

I used to have a Tandem partner a few years ago when I first started learning Japanese, but we fell out of contact. It was a really great resource for speaking practice, though! Though I don’t know if you speak with everyone (I think you can do text only?)… we just happened to talk over Skype for about an hour at a time.

I’m using it! I haven’t tried speaking yet (building up the courage…) but even just with text it’s great practice. I’m meeting lots of really nice people and the app itself is really easy to use.

Raspberry said...

I'm using it! I haven't tried speaking yet (building up the courage...) but even just with text it's great practice. I'm meeting lots of really nice people and the app itself is really easy to use.                

I should start having videochats. 3 hours difference makes it a bit challenging to have videochats. I come home late and Japanese are already sound asleep. Also, I have made many contacts through messaging, however a few of them suggested videochatting (Even that I couldn't do since I was busy on the suggested dates).

Maybe Japanese are a bit shy. Who knows... But they are rly super polite. This one girl told me I was an intelligent person just because I wrote some things I like about Japan and why I was studying Japanese. I thought she was being sarcastic at first, raised my brow and thought it was a bit weird. I don't usually compliment other people and Russians don't really do that. Then I realised that she was just being a nice person.

Hmm-Mandom said...

I should start having videochats. 3 hours difference makes it a bit challenging to have videochats. I come home late and Japanese are already sound asleep. Also, I have made many contacts through messaging, however a few of them suggested videochatting (Even that I couldn't do since I was busy on the suggested dates). Maybe Japanese are a bit shy. Who knows... But they are rly super polite. This one girl told me I was an intelligent person just because I wrote some things I like about Japan and why I was studying Japanese. I thought she was being sarcastic at first, raised my brow and thought it was a bit weird. I don't usually compliment other people and Russians don't really do that. Then I realised that she was just being a nice person.
 Haha, I'm from the UK so it's 8 hours difference! It does make things difficult but definitely worth the effort. I will do video chats soon once I feel more comfortable with the people I'm talking to. I love the correction feature of the messenger as well, it makes it so easy to correct each other's language without interrupting the flow of the conversation. From what I've heard, the Japanese are incredibly complimentary so that's not strange at all - I have an English friend living in Japan who was complimented on her ability to read an English book! 
1 Like