Tae Kim, Which category do I need for JLPT N4

hi everyone.
I was wondering does any one know where to go up to on Tae Kim grammar guide for jlpt n5 or n4? I know it moves around a lot, but I was hoping to say only go up to special expressions or if advanced topics need to be covered also.

I’m using it as a major source for grammar and really liking it, but I’m hoping to move off it, once I go past the n4 level (if I can) for a different source for grammar.

Again I know it moves around a lot but I’m hoping to find say like “you’ll probably be 90% fine if you’ve reached this chapter” sort of estimate.

Also if you have any good recommended resources for it, I’d love to hear it. I’m largely using bun pro to try to get the grammar to stick, which seems to be working okay.
thanks all

I actually started my adventure with grammar with Tae Kim’s guide and did most of it and I think it covers most N4 grammar points, but not all of them. Same with Genki - it covers a lot/most, but not everything. If you’re concerned about specific grammar points, I recommend one of the sites which show which grammar points are expected per JLPT level. They’re fairly easy to find :slight_smile: .

When you follow Tae Kim’s complete guide, some of the final sections of the last chapter might be above N4, but it didn’t feel that way to me.

I think you need to be almost complete with Taekim to cover all N4. Try some mocking test would be a good idea I think.

Try https://japanesetest4you.com/ and see if there is any grammar you still haven’t learn yet.

1 Like

Just “mock”. It’s not a test that mocks you, but rather mock in the sense of “imitation”. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

If I create mock WaniKani, would I be burning mock durtles?

3 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I think this word is misused in my langauge lol. Something like this is really difficult to fix.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Thanks for this, ah thats a bit of a shame though. I was hoping I could skip maybe the last section, and reduce my learning to get to a JLPT N4 level. Instead it sounds like I may need to increase it instead! haha. Thanks all the same, I think I may need to do as you say, and get a grammer guide out once I complete it, which I think may be a long way yet. Cheers.

1 Like

Well, you can skip the last sections if the explanations don’t work for you. I really liked Tae Kim’s analytical approach to the language and it gave me a solid understanding of particles, even though not all nuances and uses are covered in his guide.

I didn’t finish his guide, however, because I felt I’m missing out on exercises and general use of what I’ve learned. That’s why I got Genki 1 & 2 and plowed through these (finishing Genki 2 in a couple of days, actually).

If you want to go above N4, have a look at the N4 grammar points first, for instance here: JLPT N4 Grammar List – JLPTsensei.com

The recommendation I received for N4< was Tobira, which I’ve just now bought, but haven’t started yet. It’s mostly in Japanese and from what I understand, goes deeper into grammar nuances.

1 Like

If you really want to learn “to the test” so to speak, I would recommend using JLPT Sensei to check that there aren’t any gaps.

This isn’t to say that you can’t still use Tae Kim’s Guide, but just that you should be checking the list of N4 grammar on JLPT Sensei to ensure that there aren’t any gaps. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.