Best resources for JLPT N4?

So I’ll be taking the N4 exam in July and I’ve still got a lot of things to learn. The knowledge required for N5 shouldn’t be a problem (apart from some missing vocab) but I still have to learn a lot of N4 specific grammar and vocab.

Right now I’m getting the missing kanji from the CrabiGator and the missing grammar points from Bunpro. I believe I should be alright with these resources (alternatives are still welcome though).

My main problem is that I need to catch up with the required vocabulary (especially kana only words). I’ve taken a look at the Ultimate Japanese Resource thread and it’s a bit overwhelming so I’d like some suggestions, especially from people who have been in the same boat as me and successfully overcame these hurdles.

Right now I’m using these resources for vocabulary:

JLPT-Study.net - For a list of required knowledge needed for the JLPT.
Genki Complete w/Template 2.6206 Anki Deck - Which is really fun to do, but It’s not specifically for the JLPT N5+N4, so I’m looking for something that teaches specifically only what is needed for the N5+N4.

I also don’t mind if the resource is paid, if it’s worth it, then I don’t mind paying for it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There’s a JLPT vocab list by WK level so you can take all the “Lv 100” ones into your own deck because they are not part of WK. It’s a bit outdated though but I still used it for N5 Wanikani vs JLPT - Full Data - Google Sheets

For grammar I plan on completing Genki II and then buy the Shin Kanzen Master N4 Grammar book.

In any case you can’t be 100% sure you covered everything because there are no official lists…

1 Like

I found this a few days ago. The site looks promising but they sadly did not finish it.
You can still check out the stuff they did for the earlier levels. Sadly the Ankilist link does not work anymore though.

The grammar is also only for JLPT5 :neutral_face:

If you find something useful let us all know :wink:

1 Like

I passed N5 (2016) and will sit N4 in December 2018.

New Nihongo 500 N4-N5 (with English and Vietnamese Translation) This is a diagnostic for working out strengths and weaknesses in kanji, vocab and grammar.

READING
I am using JLPT Speed Master N4 Reading Comprehension

LISTENING
I am using 新完全マスターJLPT N4 Listening
My friend passed JLPT N4 July 2017 with Preparatory Course for the JLPT N4 Listening

GRAMMAR
I have just completed Genki 1 and Genki 2.
For grammar revision, I have these (but I haven’t started using them yet): 新完全マスター JLPT N4 Grammar
and TRY! N4

For JLPT N5, I used TRY! N5 and found it very helpful. I have never used 新完全マスター series books before (but my friend passed N4 last year with it).

KANJI
Like most WK users, kanji is the least problematic.
Kanji Master N4
I will practice mock questions for the kanji section (see below).

JLPT N4 Mock Questions
Tanki Master Text for Japanese Language Proficiency Test N4 The N5 version was easier than the actual exam.
Nihongo noryoku shiken yoso mondai-shu - level N4 with CD The N5 version was as difficult as the actual exam.

7 Likes

Hey there :slight_smile:
I am currently preparing for the N4 listening with the Preparatory Course for the JLPT N4 Listening and I have the sense that it’s reeeeealy difficult (maybe too difficult for N4?). Anybody else got this feeling?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.