Suggestion: Global synonyms/aliases for "something", "someone" in verbs etc

Hi all,
as I am going through older reviews and new lessons, to save myself some typing time especially on phone I usually add an user synonym for all “to X something” verbs ("to X something → “to X sth”). When doing this for reviews, Ill have to use the ignore answer script whenever i notice it still missing.

Would it be possible to let users set global aliases for “something”, “someone” and the like? These appear a lot with transitive verbs, they are important to keep transitive apart from intransitive, but if I happen to be on phone I would rather not type it out when I havent set the user synonym yet.

That is all actually, thank you for reading :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What should be the alias for “someone”?

1 Like

Ideally it could be a user setting, but I’d personally go with

“something” → “sth”
“someone” → “so”

with or without dot (“.”). I think this is somewhat widespread too.

Edit: As someone pointed out it would need to be 4 characters (whether punctuation counts or not we dont know right now?)

1 Like

I think it’d need to be synonyms that are 4 characters long so that the intransitive versions aren’t pinged as correct typos.

2 Likes

Hm then “sth.” and “s.o.” could be commonly understood replacements. Good point on the text length “leeway”.

2 Likes

Is punctuation counted in answers? I’ve always assumed it’s not like how it’s not on Duolingo

1 Like

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me

1 Like

:sob:
I’ve not really bothered to type punctuation in answers ok?

1 Like

I ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed

1 Like

I always thought dictionaries use “sth” for “something” and “sb” for “somebody”. At least that’s what I used use in English classes. Or am I mistaken as to the latter?

Either way, not sure if such a feature is easy to implement in core WaniKani, because it would assume the English meanings are templated and how one would know which template to use for which vocab item?

Scripts are another thing, though. One could automate the addition of user synonyms via the WaniKani API or some browser JS calls I hope.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.