Suggestion: Allow synonyms for vocabulary entries

It’s possible gibbousmoon is trying to add a synonym for a vocab item that hasn’t been learned yet? In advance? It won’t let you do that. You have to do it their way at least one time (unless you add the script for adding synonyms during lessons, if it’s working, which I have no idea if it is or not, just blathering now).

Oh, just fully read this for the first time. Not sure why you got the impression that you can only do synonyms at a specific time. You can add them any time you like after a lesson.

yeah, sometimes i think i want to add a synonym during the lesson, sometimes because i’ve already learned the vocab / kanji before with a different english meaning… or i want to shorten an entry, for instance i recently learned ‘electric railway’ 電鉄 which i wanted to change to ‘electric rail’ and it’s a lot easier to think of these things when you are learning them, and i then forget that it’s actually ‘electric railway’ the first time and i write ‘electric rail’ , get it wrong and then have to change it

1 Like

My description was sloppy: In fact I meant during the quiz or after. It would be weird not to add it during the quiz upon getting it wrong, after all.

Could you (or @RysingDragon) tell me where to find the +ADD SYNONYM feature on this page?

Thanks!

Edit: Ah, crap it defaults to the homepage. Look at the vocab entry for 出る.

I’ll try again: %WaniKani / Vocabulary / 出る

As mentioned you have to have done the lesson before it appears. Adding synonyms in advance is not possible.

In the past I’ve done it during the quiz. Is that option no longer available? Or only available for radicals?

I currently use this script to add synonyms during lessons.

I think it only works during the first part of the lesson, however, not the quiz portion.

You can do it during reviews for anything.

If they made it possible to add synonyms to radicals in lessons that is entirely new.

The reason for adding synonyms to radicals is generally different from why you’d add it for vocab or kanji, though, so I could see them making a distinction.

1 Like

Can you tell me where?

Edit: Ah, I see. You can’t do it during quizzes at all. OK, I will edit my OP to clarify that request, then. Thanks.

That’s a lesson, right? You can’t add synonyms in lessons (unless the radical thing is new, as I said)

Your use of “quiz” is a little confusing, since that’s not a term used for either lessons or reviews by WK and sounds like it could apply to either. Though I guess the part immediately after the lesson is called a quiz.

It calls it a “quiz…”

Quiz is the term used at the end of a set of lessons though, so I’m assuming that’s what @gibbousmoon means. You can’t add synonyms during the lessons quiz, but you can add them during later reviews.

2 Likes

I see what you mean, I just think of that whole thing as “lessons” since you navigate to it from the “lessons” button, and obviously reviews are like quizzes as well, so.

I don’t even look at any of the content before that part anymore, I click the lesson button and jam the right arrow key until it takes me to the end.

Oh I agree, it took me a minute to even remember the system calls it a quiz. I was thinking reviews at first, too.

1 Like

How does jamming the right arrow key work out for you during the quiz? :wink:

You mean how do I do during the quiz? Fine, this is my second time going through WK.

You misunderstood my question. Or, I misunderstood your statement.

In any case, my request is simple: If the system marks me wrong for something which was not wrong, I want the opportunity to inform the program, right then and there, that I want it to accept the specific answer I gave it as correct.

That is the most intuitive time to allow users to do this task. I’d even call it common sense, if I believed such a thing existed. Since I don’t, I will call it “intuitive and natural.”

Feel free to explain then. I said “before that part (that part = the quiz)” which means the part where they are telling about the kanji/vocab. I don’t look at it and just skip it all. Then I move on to the part where they actually ask you to regurgitate it. Jamming the right arrow key during the quiz wouldn’t make any sense.

There’s a script if you want to do it during the lesson. You can tell @koichi about his lack of common sense, but he probably already knows.

2 Likes

That is a workaround, but it is limited:

Only works on one browser, and

Does not work during the quiz portion, which, you may have noticed, is the exact time I look for this function.

Furthermore, the data expires.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Sure, there are some aspects that aren’t perfect, though there may be other scripts as well. That’s just the first one that came up in the search for me. I don’t know what you mean by data expiring. As far as I know, added synonyms survive even account resets (like my own).

As I said above, their model is that they want you to do it the way they teach it one time, for whatever reason. I don’t know if they’ve ever explicitly said why it’s set up that way, but since this has come up many times I’m guessing there’s some thought process behind the decision.

Oh, he knows alright :wink: