Subconcious sleep learning

Can you learn Japanese words by using 8 hours tracks of japanese vocubulary while you sleeping. They say it goes into your subconcious.

2 Likes
12 Likes

Suggesting you can learn languages while you sleep implies that your brain turns into an ultra absorbent sponge when you go to sleep, which doesn’t only not make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, but it completely defeats the purpose of sleep from a neurological standpoint. It’s a nice idea, but if it really worked, I’d be on my 43rd language by now :thinking:

14 Likes

Sleep studying is how I got my PhD.

9 Likes

But then would these forums even exist?

Crabigator pillow - do reviews in sleep

1 Like

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooooo.

18 Likes

To expand on that:

No - if by learning you mean picking up something new. The noise might keep you awake…
Can reviewing right before bed help you with those words more than if it was the morning? Possibly.

They also created Duolingo Pillow: http://pillow.duolingo.com/

3 Likes

True duolingo pillow should be in the shape of an owl though. In the shape of an owl with a knife, to be more precise :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It’s absolute bs, to learn you need to be conscious and especially as an adult you need to be making a conscious effort.

Lmao, is this official or did some fan make it?

An official April Fool’s joke from 4 years ago.

I find that when I do reviews during sleepless periods at night, I seem to retain the info better.

1 Like

I can’t even sleep properly you think I can multitask and learn at the same time?? :sob:

9 Likes

Reviewing just before sleeping is good though…

2 Likes

I remember reading on the internet that on the night before their deployment, CIA operatives would listen to language tapes when they sleep. When they woke up, they found themselves speaking almost perfect Spanish. This sounds really bullshit thinking back now…

1 Like

One imagines they were capable of speaking in almost perfect Spanish before they went to bed too.

Also, they were listening to tapes in Russian. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Even if it were true… you need to have the words and grammar in your consciousness mind to use it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.