Learning in your sleep 😴

I think I know the answer to this, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt asking here.

My friend found some videos on youtube called Learning Japanese While Sleeping and wanted to know if it’d have any effect

I know these have sort of existed in many forms since the 90’s at least
and I’m quite skeptical
but I’m curious to know your thoughts on this method

1 Like

No, it doesn’t work. If anything it’ll affect your sleep and have the opposite effect.

16 Likes

From Wikipedia, sleep learning have been proven not possible by scientists. Would have been great :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Drats, that’s 100% of my studying time out of the window :sob:

7 Likes

Oh my god how do those videos have millions of views. People will deadass watch anything huh

3 Likes

The Learning Japanese while you sleep experience:
Top 15 Best Anime Sleeping Faces - MyAnimeList.net

“花”

Azealia Banks Yelling GIF - AzealiaBanks Yelling Megaphone - Discover ...

“Oh cool I woke up to Japanese words.”

1 Like

They’re usually ok-ish to watch them while you’re awake.

3 Likes

While listening to things while trying to sleep doesn’t work, you’re brain IS in fact learning while you sleep normally.

So, doing a bit of reviewing or reading Japanese before falling asleep means you’re brain is then working and processing what you’ve learnt during the day.

A good nights sleep is therefore very important to learning in general. Sleep deprivation has a huge effect on your ability to absorb new information and learn.

So to help your learning endeavors, try to find more restful ways to sleep (if you struggle to stay asleep during the night), and that should help you in general. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

At best, it might reinforce some stuff you’ve been learning. You spend the day learning a vocab list of body parts, then go to sleep listening to that list. perhaps your brain will subconsciously start thinking about those words as you fall asleep and work them into a dream? Doubt it, but that’s about the only way I can think of to try and claim sleep learning works.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.