Stories of the Japanese Prefectures (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Haha it definitely feels hard! But there is still time… I’ll have a look at some kanjis used on the first pages to get a headstart a bit, maybe that helps? I don’t think I have enough vocabulary yet to read a long, but I’ll try to work on some very easy graded books until then!

3 Likes

MMmm my problem is the grammar/syntax. I don’t have a lot of vocabulary, but I can always look that up. It’s rather difficult to understand a sentence if you have no idea what all those particles mean and what tense the verb is in. :melting_face: I just ordered a book on sentence structures (woohooo I discovered amazon Japan), I hope that will help.

4 Likes

I feel you! I have the same issue. Could you tell me the title of your book?
I’ve just bought Genki 1 and 2 (also from Amazon JP), but I’m looking for just about anything that might help me get further.

1 Like

Hi, yes, of course! I bought the Minna no Nihongo series (because I’m the type of person that likes grammar exercices :sweat_smile:) and then I also bought:

Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication: A Self-Study Course and Reference Paperback – English Edition by [Taeko Kamiya]

I also have the book “All about particles” (small pink one) and “The dictionary of basic Japanese grammar”.

EDIT: I also use Bunpro (online), maybe that would help?

5 Likes

That’s brilliant! I’ve only just started thinking about doing grammar, so this is extremely helpful. Thank you :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, you’ll also have the book club to help you out if there’s something you’re struggling with :wink: My first real Japanese book was 魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s delivery service) and it really helped in the beginning when I looked through the book club threads about the book here on WaniKani

5 Likes

I’d give Cure Dolly a try - her course is a little like grammar boot camp: Japanese From Scratch

5 Likes

Thank you! I saw those videos in the past, but they weirded me out a bit. I’ve started watching them this morning after your recommandation and I really like them! (after I got used to their style)

4 Likes

Yes, it definitely takes getting used to. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Very excited for this, looking forward to learning more about Japan!

Physical order has arrived, first time I’ve ordered something physical for a book club. I also took advantage to get a physical manga of Yotsuba and One Piece at the same time.

7 Likes

I wish Cure Dolly would offer proper videos. I just can’t stand listening to that robot voice :see_no_evil:
I’ll probably have a look at some Transkripts, the contents are interesting for sure.

2 Likes

Right, now that you mention it I think I remember they started working on transcribing the videos … If the transcripts work for you that’s great!

3 Likes

My copy just arrived as well and I’m super excited!

I was a bit nervous because other than some articles on the Todai Easy News app, I haven’t really read that much native Japanese. I think once, a while ago, when I had first started studying Japanese at all, I tried reading some children’s stories like a version of Momotarou and it had definitely been outside of my abilities at that time and made me a little nervous. But when my book arrived today, I had a look through the first few pages and I’m so pleased by how much I can pick up! I think this is a really, really good pick for beginners because I think you can still work out the main gist of things from just the nouns and a few other words in a sentence alone.

I’m trying not to look too far ahead, lol, even if the illustrations are very cute, because I definitely want to read along, but I’m thinking about going back and ordering some more elementary-age books as well now that I know they’re this accessible :smiley: Can’t wait for the book club to start, it’ll be my first time doing anything like this :smiley:

9 Likes

I’m glad that we’ve been given substantial time in advance to know when the next book club begins as it will take 4 weeks for my copy of the book to arrive! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I got my arrival notice at the Kinokuniya Bookstore that my copy has arrived. Two weeks exactly since I ordered online, so I’m very happy not to have paid any shipping. Only the local sales tax of 10%. Plus now I have an excuse to go back to Mitsuya Marketplace (where it’s located) and have a meal and some matcha ice cream! (hmm…maybe the book wasn’t that cheap, LOL)

6 Likes

The Torrance location? That’s where I’m headed soon. It will be 2 weeks on Thursday so hopefully I’ll get it soon :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Yep! I picked up the second Yotsuba(to) volume last week when I went. It’s a nice store.

1 Like

Could someone who has their copy share a photo of the contents page/s so I can put the schedule together please?

Also please could someone share a photo of the introductory chapter so we can use this for a bit of prereading?

Thank you!

2 Likes

7 Likes

Thanks @_Mae! I’ve not tried this before, but I’ve created a prereading thread where people can try reading the introductory chapter (pages 4-5) before the club kicks off properly on May 14th. It will either work or it won’t…

5 Likes