Speed Round: WaniKani app for iPhone

My bf’s computer broke the other day and I offered him the use of mine anytime, basically carte blanche–which is the least I could do, really, since when mine died in a flood this past spring he did the same for me. However, that means I don’t get to do my WK reviews at my convenience anymore, which wouldn’t be a problem except I recently got over a slump and have been really motivated to do my WK stuff lately. So I went to explore the app on the iTunes store as a possible alternative. The problem is, there weren’t very many reviews, and they were all over the place. 

So what I want to know is, what do you guys think about this app? I’m sure there have been posts about it, but I don’t have a lot of computer time, as mentioned above, so I was hoping that you guys could weigh in on it rather than me spending a while sifting through thousands of forum posts. Even just a yes or no will suffice (hence “Speed Round”), but if you have particular things that you like or dislike it, and you don’t mind sharing, then I’d love to get that intel as well! 

Thanks in advance, everyone! :) 

Just try it and uninstall it if you don’t like it…?
It’s good, gives you your stats at a glance, but there’s no interface to do your reviews, it will just load the website when you want to do them, so essentially it’s just like pulling up the website on your phone.

I use it whenever I’m on the go and it works fine. Just be careful, I find it extremely easy to make typos on an iPhone, and it sucks to fail reviews because of a missed letter…

It does pretty much all it’s advertised to do and well. The only problem is what Leifytwig above said that typing is difficult and slow compared to computers to big review queues will hurt way more than on computer. But that’s not the program’s fault. On the other hand it encourages you to review stuff when it comes available instead of letting it to pile up to huge mounds you take care of once or twice a day, so I definitely like it and use it daily.

Works, Bluetooth keyboard improves things very much.  

Krabak said... It does pretty much all it's advertised to do and well. The only problem is what Leifytwig above said that typing is difficult and slow compared to computers to big review queues will hurt way more than on computer. But that's not the program's fault. On the other hand it encourages you to review stuff when it comes available instead of letting it to pile up to huge mounds you take care of once or twice a day, so I definitely like it and use it daily.
 Yeah, it's slower than on a computer, but it is really nice knocking out 15 lessons or 30+ reviews on the train or bus.  Even if you can only do 5 reviews, that 5 less in your queue later.

I like it, too. While I still prefer using WK on a computer if possible, I feel like I can be productive on the go, or just when a compy isn’t available. I agree about making typos (although, unfortunately, I make the same mistakes on my computer…)

One thing it does have is your projected completion dates for certain levels including level 50 based on how fast you’re doing overall. There’s also a chart showing how long different levels took and which was your fastest, etc.

For some reason mine messed up and has level 2 being 0 days but other than that it’s good. Like others said, you can always delete it if it’s not a good fit for you :slight_smile:

I really like it! It just takes a bit longer typing everything in, but if you don’t have too many reviews, it’s great.

It annoys me a bit that it doesn’t have an option to reorder reviews or something, but it’s good for getting a couple reviews done. Like others have said, it’s not great for longer sessions because the touch screen leads to lots of typos, especially with IME input, but quick sessions are great.

You may want to just try using the actual site on your phone. It’s a modern responsive site so it actually works pretty well. I only ever use it that way if I don’t have immediate access to a computer, but it does the trick and allows me to do some lessons and reviews. I still like using the app for the info it provides however.

I use it all the time! Usually I just use it to pick off 5-15 reviews during the day, like at lunch or on the bus, to keep my review queue short. The longest review session I’ve done through the app is about 110 reviews, and that took me 25-30 min, so it’s pretty slow. The only negative thing about it all really is how easy it is to make typos, but it’s alright most of the time.

I don’t know what I’m just not to happy with it, It gets the job done, but it often forgets my api code and than I end up using the web browser which feels about the same. I tried using a bluetooth keyboard with my ipad (which the ipad version isn’t format very well) and pushing enter (at the time of trying) didn’t advance you which really broke up my workflow. Also the audio clips generally need to be manually triggered. once again though. I still use it, still have it installed. Just if someone made something better I’d switch. 

Definitely get it.

The only thing you need to be cautious about is your speed. Take your time and make sure you’re imputing everything correctly. Watch out for the L’s next to K’s and just typos in general. Being a mobile interface, it’s more prone to them. That’s my only criticism which is more the device than the app itself. I think it’s great. Just take your time to make sure your spelling is correct in 英語と日本語。

And yeah, like others said, just due to the fact that it’s not on a full size keyboard, I find it more handy for a small number of reviews. If it’s more than 10 to 15, I do not look forward to doing them on my phone. Unless I just have plenty of time to do it. But again, that’s a problem with mobile devices, not the app itself.