🎙 📝 Speak/Write Every Day Challenge (Winter 2023) 🏂 ❄

:studio_microphone: :snowboarder: softlyraining’s snowy mountain of output :memo: :mountain_snow:

January 3rd

I’m going to be honest: today sucked. Part of me wanted to do something simple for my output practice, but then I thought writing about my feelings could be good practice as well as cathartic.

悪い日

今日は義理の母がうちを出て、他の親戚を訪ねた。義理の母がシャワーを浴びる間に、私は朝ごはんを作って、ヨーグルトとシリアルが入った茶碗を叩き落として壊しちゃった。 :fearful:(私の)母が結婚のためのプレゼントに対してくれた茶碗だから、すっごく悲しくなっちゃった。ふたつがあったから他の茶碗はまだ持っているけど、セットみたいなものだし、特別にもらったから本当に泣きたかった。でも、義理の母はまだここにいるから、「泣かないでね」と思った。出た時に、すっごく泣きちゃった。 :disappointed_relieved:母に茶碗についてのメッセージを送れて、返事は母が同じの茶碗を探してみるということだった。できるかどうか分からなくて、まだちょっと悲しい。壊れた茶碗を直したいけど、果たしてできるだろうか?こういうことを考える。

残っている茶碗の写真

4 Likes

Home post

1月4日

Today was a speaking practice day with my italki teacher. It’s so hard to communicate with such limited grammar but i just have to make do… :frowning: We practiced speaking in the casual form today.

I also shared my diary entry from January 1 which my teacher corrected.

大晦日に、ラーポッキ(ラッポッキ)を作りました。ラーポッキ(ラッポッキ)は辛い韓国料理です。そして、深夜まで兄弟たちと(メッセンジャーで)話しました。いろいろな話題 (で)話しました。

She also said I should write my entries in casual form from here on cause it doesn’t make sense to talk formally to yourself.

Replies

I’m really sorry about the broken tea cup! :cold_sweat:

Are the broken pieces fairly large? I wonder if it can still be pieced back together similar to the japanese art of 金継ぎ. Although I don’t know where you could get this done… :frowning:

5 Likes

How horrible for you, especially while you were also dealing with guests too.
It’s awful when something with such sentimental value gets broken. I can really empathise with how you feel.

Story time!

When I got married we received a beautiful wicker chest full of handmade china that was made by the family of one of our guests. I loved it so much that we never used it, we just stored it on top of our kitchen cabinets where it couldn’t get damaged by our toddler or pets. I wanted it to become some sort of family heirloom that I could pass on to my daughter one day.
Fast forward a few years, one of our cats somehow got up on to the top of the cabinets and pushed the entire chest off and it fell about 2.5 meters onto the floor. I was on the other side of the room at the time and time genuinely felt like time slowed down as I ran towards it while watching it fall, hoping that I’d somehow manage to catch it.
I didn’t catch it.

Almost every piece was broken and I was devastated. I walked my daughter to school shortly afterwards, and as she met her teacher, she loudly “whispered” in the way 4 year olds do “Boggins broke ALL the wedding china! But we mustn’t talk about it or mummy will start crying again.” at which I obviously burst into tears again and a teaching assistant kindly pulled me away and made me a cup of tea while I composed myself.

ANYWAY - this was years ago, and while I’m still sad that the china got broken, the slapstick nature of the whole event has become a funny story we tell people quite often!

Practical advice

Check the bottom of the remaining plate because it may have details about the company that made the set, and possibly the name of the set or a product code that may make it easier to find a replacement.
Also, it may be repairable if its quite a clean break and no pieces are missing. My mum used to collect vintage china, and I’ve seen some really great repairs!
Maybe its worth seeing whether you can find somebody near you who does kintsugi repairs? It would be fitting since it has a cherry blossom theme :slight_smile: Possibly expensive though!

3 Likes

一月四日

日記

夫とデートしに行った。
ロイヤル・パグというパブに行った。
私はハルーミとフライドポテトを食べた。
夫はソーセージとマッシュポテトを食べた。
その後で、デザートにカンノーリだった。

夕方にお風呂に入って、アニメを見た。
アニメははたらく細胞だった。
最近はたらく細胞のマンガを読むけど私にとって本当に難しい。
だから「多分そのアニメを見たら、単語を覚える」と思った。

I went on a date with my husband.
We went to a pub called the Royal Pug.
I had halloumi and fries.
My husband had sausage and mashed potatoes.
Afterwards, we had cannoli for dessert.

In the evening I had a bath and watched anime.
The anime was Cells at Work.
I’ve been reading the Cells at Work manga recently and it’s really difficult for me.
So I thought ‘maybe if I watch the anime, I will learn the vocabulary’.

(Home Post)

5 Likes

:studio_microphone: :snowboarder: softlyraining’s snowy mountain of output :memo: :mountain_snow:

January 4th

I decided to use the prompt generator today and got a juicy topic: if you were cheated on, would you get divorced?

浮気されたら離婚する?

パートナーは時々すごく真面目な人です。たとえば、一緒に映画を見て、キャラクターが誰かに浮気すると、パートナーは「最悪の人だよ」ということように言います。だから、ある日私は「君に浮気されたら、私どうしよう?」と聞きました。返事は「離婚した方がいい」と言っていました。ちょっと驚いて、説明を聞くと、パートナーは「もし浮気をしたら、君の信頼を裏切って、許してくれるべきじゃない」と言いました。そういうことを真面目に言ったので、もし浮気されたら、本当にひどいショックでしょう。それゆえに、離婚するでしょう。

Replies

@alygator and @lucylavelle, thank you so much for your messages of sympathy and advice! Honestly, if my kid blurted that out, I’d probably have started crying, too. :laughing: I washed the broken pieces (and cut my thumb in the process :expressionless:), and I’m pretty sure I didn’t miss any when I picked them up off the floor. I might look into getting a kintsugi kit and repairing it myself. Maybe the two bowls can symbolize both the beauty of marriage and the regular repairing it takes to keep one together? I’m still working on the analogy. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Home post

1月5日

今日とても忙しかった。今朝は大使館へビザを申請して行った。そして事務所へ働いて行った。事務所におそくなって、二十一時にごろ仕事を終わった。昼ごはんと晩御飯を食べることができなかった。コーヒーとパーンだけ口にした。大変だよね。

Replies

@softlyraining hope you’re feeling better today (despite the cut you got) and I’m excited to see your DIY kintsugi. Hope you can find a kit and I like the symbolism!

@lucylavelle 誕生日おめでとうございます!

4 Likes

1月5日

日記

今日は私の誕生日だったのでお祝いのために猫カフェに行った。
たくさんかわいい猫に会って、撫でれた。
好きな猫はバルー、トフィーと ポップコーンだった。
かわいくて、いたずらな子猫があって、みんなの食べ物を盗もうとした。
別の猫は受付のラップトップの上に座っていたから、それを使えないようになった。
素晴らしかった。

Today was my birthday and I went to a cat cafe to celebrate.
I met lots of cute cats and got to pet them.
My favorite cats were Baloo, Toffee and Popcorn.
There was a cute, naughty kitten that tried to steal everyone’s food.
Another cat sat on the receptionist’s laptop so she couldn’t use it.
It was great.

受付の猫です!
324398401_875195457138862_7642659708651326487_n

(Home Post)

5 Likes

January 5th

I used the prompt generator again, and this time I got “talk about a field you want to learn more about.”

もっと勉強したいと思う分野を教えて下さい

子供の頃、住んでいた都市は公共交通機関が多いので、いつも使って、そのほかにあちこち散歩しました。でも、この都市から引っ越した後、日常のことを簡単にするために、車を使う必要があるらしいです。たとえば、アイオワ州に住んでいた頃、八百屋に行きたかったら、運転しなければなりませんでした。そこへ歩いて行くのはすごく危ないです。今の住んでいる所には八百屋へ歩いて行けますが、本屋、服などの店に行きたかったら、本当に遠いので運転する必要があります。なので、去年はウォーカビリティという話題に興味を示すようになってきました。このトピックについての本を買いましたが、まだ読んでいません。今年は読みたいと思っています。

@lucylavelle 誕生日おめでとう!いい日を過ごすみたいでした。 :grin: :birthday:

5 Likes

Home post

1月6日

Speaking practice today with italki teacher! Speaking makes me sooo tired…

Corrected sentences from Jan 5

今朝「は」大使館へビザを申請し「て」行った。
→ 今朝「、」大使館へビザを申請し「に」行った。
そして事務所「へ働いて行った。」
→ そして事務所「へ行って、働いた。」
事務所におそく「なって、」二十一時「にごろ」仕事「を」終わった。
→ 事務所におそく「行ったから、」二十一時「ごろに」仕事「が」終わった。

5 Likes

1月6日

日記

先生とレッスンをした。
私の誕生日について話した。
先生にたくさんの猫の写真を見せた。
正月と十二支の話もした。
私は辰だ、先生はいのししだ。
また、丁寧なメールの書き方を勉強した。
宿題はお願いのメールを書かないといけない。

(Home Post)

5 Likes

January 6th

Today’s practice is once again thanks to the prompt generator.

なかなか寝付けないとき、どうする?

去年の7月から、健康に関係する問題があって、なかなか寝付けない夜が多かったです。いろいろな方法をしようとしました。たとえば、眠くなるまで何かするとか、早く寝付けるために早く起きます。しかし、効きませんでした。結局、オーディオブックを聞くことに決めました。最初は面白そうな本を聞き始めましたが、やっぱりもっと聴きたくなって、まだ寝付けなかった。そして、つまらなさそうな本を選んで、少し寝付けるようになった。時々、不安が本当に強かったら、この方法をします。

5 Likes

Home post

1月7日

スイーツの食べ放題へ行ったことがない。これはアニメから聞いた。今日はともだちとスイーツの食べ放題へ行く試した。とてもたくさん人がいたから、いくことができなかった。残念だった。

4 Likes

一月七日

日記

今日、バーミンガムに日本語の会話交換に行った。
十五人ぐらい来た。
私にとって、初めて行ったので本当に緊張した。
でも、みんなは優しくて、気さくだったので楽しかった。

その後で、夫とすし屋に行った。
店員さんのおすすめはかんぴょう巻きだから、私たちは食べてみた。
本当に美味しかった。
隣のテーブルの人は多いすしを注文した。
チェフはそのすしが木製の船に盛り付けた。
本当に美しかった。

I went to Birmingham today for a Japanese conversation exchange.
About 15 people came.
It was my first time there, so I was really nervous.
But everyone was kind and friendly, so I had a good time.

Afterwards, my husband and I went to a sushi restaurant.
The waiter recommended the kanpyo maki, so we tried it.
It was really delicious.
The people at the next table ordered a lot of sushi.
The chef served it in a wooden boat.
It was really beautiful.

(Home Post)

4 Likes

January 7th

Some simple vocabulary practice for today.

単語練習

ひんやりcold, cool, chilly

1. 窓を開けると、ひんやりとした風が顔に当たった。
  2. 靴を脱いで、床を踏むと足にひんやりした。
  3. 夏は最初海に入って、すごくひんやりするね。
  4. ひんやりしたアイスレモンティーは喉につかえちゃった。
Replies

@alygator Aww, that stinks that you couldn’t go! I’ve only been to one once, though it was a cafe with a buffet that included sweets, so not really the same as a sweets-exclusive tabehoudai. I hope you get to try again soon (and not just because I’d love to see pics of the desserts)!

@lucylavelle 隣のテーブルの注文はすごいです!そのアイテムをメニューで見たことがありますが、全然安くないですね〜

4 Likes

Home post

1月8日

今朝、スイッチの新品ゲームを買った。にほんごであそびみてけど、言語を変更できなかった。日本からゲームを買わなければならない。

@softlyraining I know haha. Thank you for the sympathy! We made plans to go on weekend of the 21st so will write about it then and send photos! :grin:

@lucylavelle cat cafes and sushi restaurants! the places you’re visiting are so stereotypically Japanese, I would think you’re in Japan but you aren’t! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

1月8日

日記

今日、友だちとランチをした。
私に誕生日のプレゼントをくれた。
宮崎駿のシュナの旅という本だった。
今ところ、その本は多分難しすぎるけど将来に読むのが楽しみにしている。

Today I had lunch with a friend.
He gave me a birthday present.
It was a book called Shuna’s Journey by Hayao Miyazaki.
At the moment, the book is probably too difficult but I look forward to reading it in the future.

Replies

@softlyraining
そうですね。すしはいつもちょっと高いけど普段に少しだけ食べるので大丈夫です。
そのすしの船は本当に大きかったので値段は高かっただと期待しますよね。

@alygator
その通りです!
今まで気づけてなかったけど今週のした活動はほとんど日本に関するものだった。

You are right!
I didn’t notice it until now, but most of the activities I did this week were related to Japan!

(Home Post)

4 Likes

January 8th

Some more vocabulary practice.

単語練習

とっておきspecial; set aside for special occasions

1. テーブルにとっておきのお皿をそっと置いた。
  2. あ、すみません、そのグラスはとっておきなんですが…
  3. 古くて、とっておきのドレスを押入れからそっと取り出した。
  4. とっておきの茶碗を壊しちゃった。 :sob:(フィクションじゃないですね〜)

@alygator えー、どのゲームを買ったんですか? :astonished:

5 Likes

I was looking to get serious about output at the start of this year so this seems like a good start. Bit late to the party though. Between my coworkers and girlfriend its basically impossible for me to live my life and not output japanese several times every day, so I’ll set special rules for what counts as a completed day for me.

1. 1000 characters typed minimum.
  2. Personal messages sent to friends, coworkers, SO, etc. do not count towards 1.
  3. If there are any corrections (from my language partner), they must be gone over and the text must be revised accordingly.
  4. I am allowed to write for the next day so long as I know I won’t be home and have access to my computer for the entirety of said following day.
  5. If I complete every remaining day of January (today is the 9th), then I need to add one extra rule for February to increase the difficulty of the challenge.
example of what 1000ch looks like length wise (wikipedia page about monkeys)

中国では、殷代以来、霊長類をあらわす文字がみられた。殷代には、甲骨文字のなかに霊長類を示すと考えられるものがあった。周代には、『爾雅』に5種類の霊長類があげられており、玃父、猩猩、狒狒、猚、猱猨であった。最初の3つは想像上の山怪と考えられるが、猚はキンシコウ、猱猨はテナガザルだった可能性がある。周代には、ほかに猴、狙、獨、狨、果然(猓然)、禺(𤟹)といった表現があった。猴はマカクをあらわしていたと考えられる。また、狨はキンシコウを、果然(猓然)はリーフモンキーをあらわしていた可能性がある。周末から漢代に成立した『礼記』では、獶という文字が用いられていた。これはマカクを指していたと考えられる。4世紀の屈原は、『楚辞』で猨狖という言葉を用いた。猨は前述の猱猨と同義であり、狖とともにテナガザルを指していたと考えられる。のちに、猨の音をあらわす爰(yüan)の部分が同音の袁に置き換えられ、猿の字となったが、これもテナガザルを指していたと考えられる。猨(猿、テナガザル)と猴(マカク)の区別は、周代には厳然とあり、14世紀までは維持された。しかし、それ以降、テナガザルの分布が南に退くにつれて、両者は混同されていった。野生テナガザルのいない日本でも、両文字は区別されていなかった。現在の中国語では、上で述べたもののうち、猩はオランウータン、ゴリラ、チンパンジーを、猿はテナガザル(長臂猿)を、狒はヒヒを、狨はマーモセットをあらわすために用いられている。また、猴は、全般的に類人猿でない霊長類をあらわすために用いられている。日本語では、霊長類一般を指す際にもっぱら猿を用いる。また「申」という字には元々サルの意味はなかったが十二支が動物と結びつけて考えられるようになり、申年はサルの年とされるようになった。子(ね)から数えて申は干支の9番目に数えられる。日本語ではサルを「えて(得手)」「えて公」「えて吉」と呼ぶことがある。これは「さる」が「去る(失う)」に通じるため忌み言葉として避け、替わりに「手に入れる」という意味の「得手」を当てたのがはじまりとされる。外見上はヒトに似ているが知能の面では及ばないことから、一方では賢い動物として扱われ、他方では「理解力が低い」「思考パターンが単純である」など「頭が悪い奴」という意味の蔑称として用いることがある。悪口として使用する場合、「サル」とカタカナで

思い立ったが吉日, so I’ll start right now with the 9th.

1月
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
2月
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28
8 Likes

Home post

1月9日

Today was a speaking day with my italki teacher. She also corrected my diary entry from yesterday!

にほんごであそびみてけど、言語を変更できなかった。
→ にほんごで(あそんでみたけど)、言語を変更できなかった。
日本からゲームを買わなければならない。
→ 日本(で)ゲームを買わなければならない。

Replies

アメリカ地域で二ノ国白き聖灰の女王を買いました。I didn’t know I should’ve switched my region to Japan before buying. For now, I’m playing with Japanese audio, with English subs. It was on sale from 50 dollars to 8 dollars so it was still a good deal! My Japanese is probably not at that level yet anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh my god! The wall of text is insane! Good luck!

4 Likes

January 9th

日記

今日仕事に戻った。
本当に忙しくて、大変だった。
もう他の休みが欲しいよね。
今週間中、たくさん会議があって、たくさん作業もある。
時間が足りないよ。

両親から誕生日プレゼントを届いた。
十二冊の日本語で小説だ。
今ところ、多分ちょっと難しすぎるけどある日全て読めるようになるよ。

(Home Post)