🎙 ✍ Speak/Write Every Day Challenge (Spring 2024) 🌸🌼

I didn’t mean to delete my last post. My hand slipped and I dropped my phone :sweat_smile:

Anyways, today I shadow-read a story about a cat on Satori reader.

Please feel free to correct any errors on my sentences. I’m pretty sure I was too redundant with my wording because I’m not used to simplifying things so much. Japanese really is an efficient language.

​​

​​

4 Likes

Thank you @Izabelle for continuing this challenge! I’ve been MIA from the forums for a couple of months (life’s been busy and it’s been hard to find the time/energy to pop on). I’ve been practicing speaking since the beginning of the year on a somewhat regular basis, so I’ll add in my recordings from that here and encourage everyone else who’s participating. :smiling_face:

I think vocaroo recordings last for maybe 3 months? So you have until about then if you want to download your recording so you can look back on your progress. (Nice pronunciation, by the way!)

6 Likes

I’m sorry if I copied too much from your challenge, but I wasn’t sure exactly what I should do. Please let me know if there is anything you want changed. I look forward to hearing from you when you have a chance to make it on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Day 2

:cherry_blossom:Home Post :paperclips:

Had an iTalki lesson today, so I’m counting that as my speaking practice today and thus didn’t record anything.

Thank you:)

Also, thank you:) now I feel I need to qualify my comment about kinda hating my spoken japanese: while my pronunciation is まあまあ on some level, my pitch accent isn’t and my sentences don’t flow the way I want them to. I’m trying to be attuned to these things when listening/shadowing, but unless I’m shadowing it doesn’t come out right^^

<<<Previous Day<<<
>>>Next Day>>>

6 Likes

You know what, sure. I’ve been kind of away from the forums so I might be spotty posting here, or I might literally disappear after making one post, who knows anything. Up to this point I’ve studied via input only for close to 3 years. Wasn’t really intending to bother with output still, but I’ve met a few friends through playing Splatoon who are Japanese, and we’re talking over discord now. Just text for now, but a couple invited me to voice the other night and while I just don’t feel quite ready to talk in real time yet (literally started almost ANY production less than one week ago), I really want to work on it and try to join them soon.

Sooo… I’m just having random conversations with my friends for now (maybe I’ll do shadowing I dunno?) and they seem patient enough with me saying a lot to keep working on it so I think it’ll happen daily, hahaha. Don’t want to publicly post what they say for privacy, but I can share excerpts of my own broken Japanese I guess!

For example, talked a bit about Splatoon’s rank system and matchmaking:

• 毎回、シーズンが初めて、楽勝がドンドン来て、S+に上昇と。。。絶望感が一気に湧いてくる。 :rofl:
  • 昇格戦むちゃくちゃ厳しいよね。私が聞いた話によって、昇格戦をマッチメイクすると、何というか。。。腕前を計るやつ(英語でELOとかGLICKOとか)が約200で上げる。理不尽な戦いを意図的に造ってる。

Also decided to ask about how true some advice on handling compliments in Japanese is and talked a little about that

• 日本語についての質問があるんだが。。。
    英語で褒められた時、自然な反応は素直に受け取る、「ありがとう!」みたいね。
    私みたいな日本語の勉強者によくこんなことが伝えられる。もしそれをしたら、誇り高すぎるみたいな人に見える。
    その一方、英語ネイティブとして、いつも「いやいや」とかと答えると、私がめんどくさい奴かなっての悩みがあるwww。
    個人差がもちろんあるんだが、どう思う?

The general idea was they can’t speak too well for others but think just taking the compliment is fine, though others may feel differently. So…

• 万人と一ルールで話せるのは無理ね。時々、英語で日本語を教えスタイルが神経質を起こすだけと思う :joy:
  • いつも「無意識に無礼なことをするに注意して!」のは強調して、この言語がトラップだらけかって感じがするwww
  • もちろん、手伝ってありがとう!
  • 英語の質問があったら、または他の方法で役に立てれば、是非聞いてね

I’m sure the stuff I said was a mess but the meaning seems to get across and it’s been fun, haha.

7 Likes

Oooh! I really love this and somehow never saw the Speak/Write Every Day Challenge before (only the reading and write-a-sentence ones).

I hope this happens again after April! I would join now, but I’m currently packing and trying to find a new place for a move about 1000 miles away from my current home. Time is a little sparse. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

We can continue as long as people would like :slight_smile: Good luck with your move.

6 Likes

Today I shadow read mini conversations from Minna No Nihongo for 10 minutes.

I didn’t have much energy, so my sentences are pretty sad. I think I might start writing a story tomorrow instead.

4 Likes

Home Thread // March 12th, 2024

Well, looks like the start of the challenge didn’t go quite as well for me as I hoped it would lol, but I wanna change that now, so, here is some 下手 Japanese text, written by me:

March 12th

十四日(じゅうよんにち)には、文(ぶん)プロのN3の文法(ぶんぽう)を勉強(べんきょう)しおわる予定(よてい)だけど、まだ下手(へた)ので、良(い)いことになるために、たくさん練習(れんしゅう)すればならないよ。練習(れんしゅう)するためにたくさん本文(ほんぶん)を書(か)きたい。良(い)いことになるのは練習(れんしゅう)なしでわけがないよね。

4 Likes

No need to apologize! I’m just happy that people are interested. :smiling_face: I guess I didn’t view it as copying, but more like continuing it on. There have been different people running the reading and listening challenges, for example, and I (and probably a lot of others) view them as a continuation. It’s less about who’s running the challenges and more about the challenges being around so people can participate.

3月11日
My recording from yesterday. I…kind of ramble, but that’s not really unusual when I speak Japanese, unfortunately.

3月12日
A fresh recording for today! Happy to say that I rambled less. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you :blush:

3 Likes

I recited あめんぼのうた (a poem) out loud. I also wrote a really long paragraph. I am certain that there are a lot of grammar mistakes, but I’ll keep practicing.

4 Likes

3月13日

Another recording, this time about the anniversary of the pandemic. I was a teacher at the time, which was an interesting position to be in for sure. :sweat_smile: I can already think of a couple of mistakes I made, including a conjugation error, but that’s easily fixable.

Vocab I Looked Up

commute: 通勤する
spread: 伝染する
back then: 当時

4 Likes

Days 3 & 4

:cherry_blossom:Home Post :paperclips:

I’m visiting my parents over the Easter holidays and I’m leaving at 4am tonight so I’ve been too busy with various things I had to get done before I go to actually do any studying these two days :person_shrugging: I’ll try to make up for it tomorrow.

<<<Previous Day<<<
>>>Next Day>>>

3 Likes

Home Thread // March 14th, 2024

I’m not even nearly as consistent with this challenge as with the Read every day challenge, but I found that in 1.5 hours of focused working, I’m able to do 80% of what I usually do over the whole day, so as a result, I was almost finished with my daily tasks in Japanese before noon!

Anyway, except for one extremely simple sentence in the Japanese POLL thread, I didn’t do anything yesterday.

As for today, here are three sentences by me :slight_smile:

March 14th

日本語(にほんご)は美(うつく)しい言語(げんご)ので、日本語(にほんご)を勉強(べんきょう)すること中々(なかなか)楽(たの)しんで毎日(まいにち)頑張(がんば)りまったいよ。だけど、時々(ときどき)気(き)が散(ち)られると、たくさんをすることができない。時々(ときどき)集中(しゅうちゅう)するのは中々(なかなか)難(むずか)しい。

I also wrote two more sentences over here.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, because I don’t have enough commitments already I’d like to take on another one! :tada:

Do you guys have inspiration what to talk about? I want to do something that helps me improve, and I don’t know what’s most useful for that. Is it best to pick a topic, research some words and talk about that? Maybe I’ll start with a 日記 too. I think I’d like to challenge myself to use one new word every day though.

Please correct me if you see something wrong!

私は最近、早寝が増えてきた。早寝すると次の朝も早起きになって、早起きするのがすごい好きだし、早寝が多くなって結構嬉しい。
今朝は自然にというか、目覚ましなしで日の出の前にも起きたんだ!すごくない?
6時ちょっとに目覚めて、漢字の復習したり、朝ご飯を食べたり、二次創作を読んだり(英語だけどね :sweat_smile:)買い物に行ったりして、スーパーから帰ってきたらまだ10時も過ぎてなかった!最高だ!
今日の用事はもうほとんど出来たので、めっちゃ暇を感じてるけど笑
18時まで何しようかな…やはり日本語の勉強しかないね!

New word of the day: 日の出

March
月 火 水 木 金 土 日
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
April
月 火 水 木 金 土 日
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
5 Likes

3月14日

Today’s recording is about the new pillow I just bought. Took a few tries before I got into my groove, but that’s not too unusual. Being sleep deprived doesn’t help. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Just from skimming your last two entries, you might want to check the N5 ~ので grammar point once more :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I’m still on chapter 7 of Minna No Nihongo, so I haven’t gotten to a lot of the grammar points yet.

2 Likes

AAAAAHHHH, thanks for pointing that out! :sweat_smile: I completely forgot that I need to add a な with nouns and な adjectives :sweat_smile:

2 Likes