Sound Word Share

To read Japanese, we consciously need to study and learn Japanese onomatopoeia. These are one of the most expressive things in the Japanese language, and they are omnipresent in manga.

If you know of any really good or fun ways to remember any, post them below.

I will start. I made a little folded paper toy for a friend. She said, "That is ぱくぱく!”
pakupaku, パクパク、ぱくぱく, is a mouth opening and closing.

Now, I will never forget this, because it is the Paku-Man video game. How did I never know this?

Please post your own really good mnemonics below!

12 Likes

In One Piece the names of Devil Fruits are constructed just like onomatopoeia. They’re mostly made up constructs, but there are some real onomatopoetic names as well, which might help you remember those. Risk of indirect spoilers though for this tip: Devil Fruit list | One Piece RP Wiki | Fandom

Examples,
ピカピカ (の実) ピカピカ - Jisho.org
バラバラ (の実) バラバラ - Jisho.org
ゴロゴロ (の実) ゴロゴロ - Jisho.org

4 Likes

Not sure if this is the best way to learn onomatopoeia, but it sure is entertaining :smile:

8 Likes

どこからともなく
聞こえてくる
ピアノソロ :musical_keyboard: :notes:

5 Likes

2 Likes

That is almost as good as the video that i learned さむい from. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’d be this one, I presume? :smile:

5 Likes

How did you ever guess?

I like yours though.

I have had trouble remembering the Japanese word for onomatopoeia, other than the kana version of the English word. It seems that I have heard the word コケコッコ(sound of a rooster) used for onomatopoeia words in general, but I can’t find a source for that possibly wrong knowledge right now, …

1 Like

irrelevant but can’t not post this

we love this game!

2 Likes