Skip level or cram to get there

Hello, hi !

Studying by myself, I’m around the end of N3 kanji. Is there any way to get up to where I am on my own on this website ? Or do I have to wait for days, doing radicals and easy kanji’s, just waiting for the website to allow me to catch up with where I am really ?

If it’s the case, how long should it be to get to end of N3 start of N2 lvl if I do study every day the maximum allowed and do 2/3 reviews a day ?

Thank you very much I hope it’s not a question you already answered hundreds of time, I had a quick look but couldn’t find anything.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you check out this table, you’ll see there’s no explicit separation on WaniKani between the JLPT kanji levels. When you finish level 31 - a bit over halfway through WaniKani - you should know 90% of the N3 kanji, and 63.5% of the N2 kanji.

At the maximum possible speed, each level (with some exceptions not really worth detailing) takes six days and twenty hours, so finishing level 31 will require exactly 205 days. And also that you live by a timetable that’s slightly less than 24 hours per day.

6 Likes

If only there was a FAQ or something that answered the “Can I skip levels” questions :thinking:

7 Likes

Be nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

17 Likes

Wanikani isn’t really based on JLPT progress, so there is no strict point where N2/3 starts or ends. I believe you learn your first N1 kanji around level 2 and your last N5 in level 15.

There is no skipping, although you can ‘cheat’ to some extent preventing wrong answers. So you have to follow the process. I suggest you read the FAQ as to why.

1 Like

Why are you giving a link to that word?

Doh. Guess I should check ctrl+c worked. One second.

Fixed

1 Like
  1. Visit the forums
  2. Mention the FAQ
  3. ???
  4. 採算
9 Likes

I saw that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was wondering if it was something like that, but that seemed eGoooott far fetched :wink:

4 Likes

Why do you even take time to answer me if it’s for being so patronising ? Ego issue or something ?

1 Like

Thank you kindly for your answer :slight_smile:

I will keep the website for review purpose then and keep my own method to keep grinding the kanji train :smiley:

1 Like

Also, one of the strong point of WK (as far as I am concerned) is that it provides vocab for the various readings of individual kanji, so that you get more context/exposure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah once you’re in there, any ressource you can find you take it haha :slight_smile: Especially when it’s so well designed !

2 Likes

Just to add on to what others have said, I’m at about an N2 level myself, and I still pick up a kanji or two every level. As a review and gap-filler tool, I’m finding it to be quite helpful. It also has you learn vocabularly alongside, which is helpful for a number of reasons (learning vocab, having something to connect kanji to, seeing kanji in context, etc.).

9 Likes

https://community.wanikani.com/t/my-journey-of-368-days-the-ultimate-guide-for-wk/31318/2?u=sorar

You can use this guide to get a better feel for WK. To me its definitely useful as a review and gap filler tool. 92% of Joyo Kanji without really much effort spent on planning.

3 Likes

Agreed with @sloa123! I’m around N2 level, and there’s at least one kanji per level I didn’t know the definition or reading(s) for. It seems like a long haul, but it goes by pretty quickly if you just keep up with your reviews. My progress has been slow because I’m not a speed fiend, but you can shave levels down to 7-8 days per level if you like, or take your time. I supplement my WK reviews with N1/N2 vocab and kanji cards on Memrise and Anki so I don’t feel like I’m “wasting my time” learning easier kanji or re-learning old kanji. Good luck!

2 Likes

I came here with a pretty good knowledge of kanji to N4 level but WK has been great for locking that knowledge down and building vocabulary around those kanji. Not being able to skip levels has been really useful, my reading is way more confident than it used to be. YMMV, but I hadn’t been nearly as rigorous in my kanji learning as WK has forced me to be.

It’s also worth noting that doing the early levels builds a platform for the later levels. I’ve gone from ignoring the mnemonics to relying on them pretty heavily and that is the edifice on which the whole structure seems to be built.

3 Likes

Use it as review tool. Some of the plus side of using WaniKani is that you can use its companion website KaniWani to test EN->JP recall. Add a few APIs you can use to quiz yourself, find suitable reading materials, etc… that’s a lot of resources.

99.99% of us here are friendly. (the other 0.01% are buddies with the Crabsmas Durtle).

3 Likes

Since people already answered your question, allow me to write an unrelated comment.
how much time did you take to reach N3 Kanji?

1 Like