Simple question

Hey guys, my Japanese grammar game is super weak so I’ve decided to start studying it again. I bought a textbook and am confused on one part in it related to location terms.

The books says to use the particle の with the location term after it. Example: 本の右

However, in a different part of the book, it uses the particle の differently in an example sentence. The sample sentence says: うちの庭

So, is うち an exception? Or could it also be 庭のうち and mean the same thing?

Thanks!

This would mean ‘the right of the book’, not ‘the book on the right’, so the logic is the same as in うちの庭.

庭のうち would mean something else entirely.

Yes, this means “to the right of the book” or “the book’s right” with 本 being the main reference point.

うち can mean “inside”, in which case 庭のうち would make more sense, meaning “inside the garden”. Then the construction would be following the example with the book above.

However, うち in this case is referring to one’s one family/household. So うちの庭 means “my family’s garden” or something similar. You’ll often hear うちの__ to convey that something is of the speaker’s family.

4 Likes

That makes so much more sense! I was reading うち as “inside” which wasn’t making sense to me when compared to the translation the book provided. Thanks so much!

Oh, I totally missed the point, I thought you were confused about the meaning of 本の右, sorry about that!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.