I have no clue what this word means and my search engine won't exactly help

Hi everyone, I was studying and came across the following sentence:

’’10時ごろ うちに かえります。’’

But I didn’t know what the word ‘‘うち’’ meant. The best my kanji / vocab look-up software could do was the following:

But I have a small hunch that it doesn’t mean ‘‘jettisoned cargo’’ in this context. If anyone could help it would be amazing :smile:

When you search for vocab, leave off the directional particle に。

うち here probably means “home” or “house”, e.g. I will return home around 10 o’clock.

6 Likes

Oops! Yeah, it highlights a whole block of kana if it matches a definition :frowning: For some reason, the definition ‘‘jettisoned cargo’’ was hilarious to me. Thank you a lot though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

うち is a word for ‘house’. に is just the direction particle. So the sentence is "I come home around 10 o’clock.’

edit: That wasn’t past tense.

2 Likes

Thank you! I thought the pronunciation for 家 was always ''いえ’’、so I got a bit confused when I saw ’’うち’’ used. Another unrelated question, how do you guess / know when to use which pronunciation in a sentence? For example, would using the ''いえ’’ pronunciation here be grammatically incorrect?

1 Like

ichi.moe does a pretty good job of dismantling sentences, without “cheating” for you.

3 Likes

This is really helpful, thank you so much! :smile:

1 Like

Also, if you don’t already, use jisho.org, it is a great place to look up kanji. They have lots of words for each kanji, give a marker for common words, and reference by WK level.

2 Likes

Not exactly pronunciation, but if you’re interested in the different implications of うち vs いえ, there’s an old thread about it here.

2 Likes

In terms of grammar, it doesn’t make a difference. I saw someone else posted a link, but my understanding is that うち is closer to ‘home’ while いえ is more the actual building.

4 Likes

Often うち will be written in kana.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.