Context sentences for kanji should have furigana

That’s not entirely true. A lot of kanji have phonetic components in them, such that you guess with pretty good accuracy on lots of kanji you haven’t learned yet. Understanding the meaning is another matter, of course.

祖租狙阻姐岨粗

Those all have an onyomi of そ

胞砲泡抱鞄

Those all have an onyomi of ほう

There are plenty more examples.

Obviously it’s not a guaranteed thing, but once you know a lot of kanji you can guess right more often than I think most beginners would expect.

That’s pretty cool, but that still doesn’t help elementary school students that can barely tell their "nichi"s from their "tsuki"s.

I legitimately kind of don’t think they should. The goal of Wanikani is to eventually read text in the wild without furigana. That you’re likely unable to read the entirety of the example sentences on your own keeps you focused on the grammar and usage – how the word is placed, what particles and tenses surround it, and what the translation is – rather than the meaning of the specific example.

And then it rewards you steadily by allowing you to decipher more of the example sentences more often. And that’s cool. Furigana would take that away.

If you’re ever absolutely dying to know the pronunciation of the whole sentence, you can always paste it into jisho.org.

The only reason I don’t use context sentences is because I can’t read them. I would love to be able to and use them in a deck I make myself, but unfortunately, highlights furigana it’s just frustrating.

More than 60% of the people who responded to the poll do not “five people” make. Just because some people can read the context sentences after having finished WK does not mean that the concerns raised are invalid in any way. Most of us are still illiterate in Japanese, which is why we are here to begin with. The suggestion provided (turning furigana on and off) seems perfectly reasonable. As kanji readings get unlocked, furigana will disappear.

Dismissing people’s concerns as “wasted development time” is not constructive. Especially when it just seems to be opinion with no backing. There appear to be quite a few paying patrons interested in the feature. It is one thing to point to a third-party solution that exists, but entirely another to dismiss suggestions on the basis of the existence of an external solution when there is clear support for the suggestion.

Script to add furigana to context sentences could possibly be made. I have already seen a script like this, but for the whole website. And, yes, decrease furigana by WaniKani levels…

Hi guys.

As @rodrigowaick said, Wanikani is a website to learn kanji and we think that furigana is cheating and very bad for learning. Thus, if you guys want furigana, you can use any third-party app or extension to do it because we are not going to support it.

Having said that, there is a good news.

We are currently working on new wanikani sentences + update of the old ones.
I don’t know when everything will be done, but there will be three sentences for each vocab sometime soon.

Two of them only contain the kanji that users have already learned or are going to learn on the same level. The last one contains the kanji that they haven’t learned yet for advanced learners

Sounds goooooood? :3

20 Likes

Sounds goooooood!

This pretty much will resolve the original request.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be better for those two sentences to have the unlearned kanji with furigana rather than replacing the unlearned kanji with hiragana? That way users would still be exposed to the unlearned kanji but wouldn’t be held back by them.

2 Likes

This is when you pull out your handy dandy jisho.org.

Honestly, I find the sentences are at their most useful when used in combination with a dictionary to slowly piece together the sentence. The struggle helps make it memorable, helps make it stick.

The nice thing is that you can copy and paste the kanji into jisho. Some other mediums of reading practice (like trying to read a video game - something I’m currently struggling through!), you can’t do that, have to look up the kanji by radical.

Thankfully it looks like they’re implementing a solution that should help all of us. I keep my furigana-less kanji for better practice, you guys get two example sentences you can read without running to the dictionary.

1 Like

Same here.

I’ve been studying for quite a while, I still can’t read all the context sentences. So that’s great, you don’t have furigana, but the context sentences don’t really mean much to me anyways because I can’t read them.

The context sentences suck, they idealy should all be readable at the current user level (except level 1, when one knows nothing). I almost never bother reading them.

1 Like

The person who writes the sentences already posted in this topic and said more (simple) sentences are being added.

I still disagree that you need to be able to read every kanji in a context sentence to use it as a context sentence, but whatever.

2 Likes

You can also use Google Translate with camera image recognition…

I agree with this. Just like a video game with closed caption or a visual novel, there will sometime be a Kanji you don’t know, and even sometimes hyperpixelated Kanji. You’ll have to struggle through that.

And struggling isn’t a bad thing. Bad grammar is, however.

I always make a point to understand the context sentences for words I’m seeing for the first time. If there’s kanji I don’t know, I’ll just rikaichan it and not bother, I’ll get to it later. If there’s unknown grammar, I look it up. It’s getting easier and easier to understand the sentences.

But yes, sometimes they are just too convoluted or nonsensical to be helpful. If I could improve one thing about WK, it would be this, so I’m looking forward to it.

I have mention sometime that WaniKani context sentences highly overuse Kanji, comparing to outside sentences.

Too many Kanji seems to be intentional, and is there for a reason.

I would also think that example sentence should have Kanji reading for not learned one or the option to tap and show kanji reading. This way can satify both imo.

1 Like

How do you have the time to work on a website AND support the livelihood of 120 million people?

Wha? (10 characters)