Shoku食Rain: Kanji-catching, API Mini-game

After the WaniComets game (which I will try to sneak in an update now and then until satisfied), I was compelled to do another one! This time it isn't a review-system remake, and it isn't for vocabulary...

Introducing: Shoku食Rain。

It is basically a rain-drop catching game for practicing remembering your Kanji items and their "important" readings and meanings.
trehalose.github.io/shokurain/

How to Play
  • Enter your API* key in the box!
  • Move with Left Arrow & Right Arrow (or A and D, if you're quirky)
  • Help Wakababby-san eat the meanings and readings for the Kanji meal he hungers for ( His gut/shell is practically crying for it ;-) ).
  • If you get the wrong answer, he'll puke that CRAP you just fed him.  Ever 5th wrong answer you get, he has to use a little Pepto-abysmal or something because he is so sick, and all, so loses health. He also loses it if you can't find all the ingredients(meaning and reading) to his desired kanji meal. It really discourages him and you should feel bad.
  • If you get the answer right 7 times in a row, you gain health.You also gain health if you get both the ingredients(both meaning and reading) for his desired kanji meal before the time runs out and he wants something else to eat.
  • Every time you succeed and he desires a new meal, it rains food a little harder and faster, so eventually you do have to be careful!~

*Wtf is an API key?!
Its a magic series of text that allows me to get really angry when SOP make me have to work to slither into the servers and steal your information.
Don't know where your API key is? Sucks to be you... Here, let me help: http://www.wanikani.com/account May I check for polyps while I'm up there?

Want some sprite action? Find them in the WK Fanart thread:
 /t/Wanikani-Art-Jam-anyone/306/160
Feel free to contribute there too!
Anyways thats it, enjoy!~

Plans
  • I'm debating on whether to add a pause screen or not, It might make it too easy. What do you think?
  • Considering adding a visual cue for when health is gained or lost, as audio might not cut it for any of our wonderful Deaf users (or people who keep their audio off) . Does WK have any Deaf dudes? I'm curious now, as its not entirely impossible, though it does seem improbable.

UPDATES
  • 15 Aug 2013, Pause Screen added. Unlocks after initial 5 food-drops begin to fall.
  • 13 Dec 2013, Fixed the API update Problem. Should work okayish again now. Sorry about that guys!

List of API and Third-Party Apps

You are awesome. Too bad it’s sleep time here. Will test it tomorrow :slight_smile:

oh mang, this is awesome!

Top score = streak 9

Cool will be sure to test it out tomorrow! ^^
is there a specific browser required to play this?  

mayucchi said... You are awesome. Too bad it's sleep time here. Will test it tomorrow :)
Sankyuu~ I hope you enjoy~ 

koichi said... oh mang, this is awesome!

Top score = streak 9
Its not high enough. You need to feed him more.  You're supposed to be his keeper. I call animal abuse!

Naske said... Cool will be sure to test it out tomorrow! ^^
is there a specific browser required to play this?  
 I hope you enjoy it then~ Also, it seems to work on Chrome, IE, Opera, Safari, maybe a few no-namers. From what I've tried, It seems to like every browser except Firefox.  FF gives a big fart-in-the-face when using it and brings a lot of grief with required proponents of the game, so I banned it as it was the only one who made a stink about working.

This is pretty sweet, but now vision is scrolling.  (I haven’t seen it this bad since my hard core Rockband days…)  I need to take a break, now…

atazg, ごちそうさまでした!

Wakababby-san really liked all that delicious kanji!

In fact, one time he ate 
9 in a row without getting full or sick~

He ate:
  • 126 Whole kanji meals,
  • 72 Readings,
  • and 87 Meanings!

His favourite snack was .

He found he was allergic to 石,根,曲,強,面 though.
We need to learn more about this allergen.

This is so cute! Thank you so much! <3 I’ll definitely be playing this game when I do not feel like doing my reviews.  
------------------------------------------

Wakababby-san really liked all that delicious kanji!

In fact, one time he ate 
23 in a row without getting full or sick~

He ate:
  • 67 Whole kanji meals,
  • 65 Readings,
  • and 55 Meanings!

His favourite snack was 天,王.

He found he was allergic to  though.
We need to learn more about this allergen.

Good job on another fun game! High score of 14 so far. 

I think a pause would be good, but make the pause screen black out the words, so it can’t be used to cheat. A visual cue would be great, just like a little green/red +1 or something for gained/lost respectively. 

The only thing I didn’t like was I would sometimes run into the wrong food on the way to the one I wanted. I started just not eating the sandwiches that were too close to other ones. 

I love it <3

Wow, impressive! Thought it was hard in the beginning but got used to it and got a high score of 37 or 39.
It gets pretty fast later and almost impossible to avoid the wrong foods lol Also, pretty sure there was a kanji I didn’t learn.

atazg said... This is pretty sweet, but now vision is scrolling.  (I haven't seen it this bad since my hard core Rockband days...)  I need to take a break, now...

XD take it easy, dude! It'll still be up tomorrow to play!

Qalamity said... This is so cute! Thank you so much! <3 I'll definitely be playing this game when I do not feel like doing my reviews.  
 :D I'm glad!

Solmors said... Good job on another fun game! High score of 14 so far. 

I think a pause would be good, but make the pause screen black out the words, so it can't be used to cheat. A visual cue would be great, just like a little green/red +1 or something for gained/lost respectively. 

The only thing I didn't like was I would sometimes run into the wrong food on the way to the one I wanted. I started just not eating the sandwiches that were too close to other ones. 
Alright! :D Then its settled! The pause must be done then! I just needed to know what someone thought on the matter.  Because im a biased party in it.
As for the eating the wrong food part, that was an intention to frustrate players into continuing to play and attempt to OCD fix their best even higher <3
*I'm so evil*

Syprus said... I love it <3
<<33 

Breathless said... Wow, impressive! Thought it was hard in the beginning but got used to it and got a high score of 37 or 39.
It gets pretty fast later and almost impossible to avoid the wrong foods lol Also, pretty sure there was a kanji I didn't learn.
 Nice!! Hmm... would you say it got impossibly fast too fast or at a decently challenging pace?
As for the kanji, I thought I put in a thing that makes sure items that aren't unlocked are not used, but I will check again and see if I messed something up in there. It is quite possible!

Congratulations on all your scores! :D You guys are awesome for playing with this!

Maltose said...
atazg said... This is pretty sweet, but now vision is scrolling.  (I haven't seen it this bad since my hard core Rockband days...)  I need to take a break, now...

XD take it easy, dude! It'll still be up tomorrow to play!

Qalamity said... This is so cute! Thank you so much! <3 I'll definitely be playing this game when I do not feel like doing my reviews.  
 :D I'm glad!

Solmors said... Good job on another fun game! High score of 14 so far. 

I think a pause would be good, but make the pause screen black out the words, so it can't be used to cheat. A visual cue would be great, just like a little green/red +1 or something for gained/lost respectively. 

The only thing I didn't like was I would sometimes run into the wrong food on the way to the one I wanted. I started just not eating the sandwiches that were too close to other ones. 
Alright! :D Then its settled! The pause must be done then! I just needed to know what someone thought on the matter.  Because im a biased party in it.
As for the eating the wrong food part, that was an intention to frustrate players into continuing to play and attempt to OCD fix their best even higher <3
*I'm so evil*

Syprus said... I love it <3
<<33 

Breathless said... Wow, impressive! Thought it was hard in the beginning but got used to it and got a high score of 37 or 39.
It gets pretty fast later and almost impossible to avoid the wrong foods lol Also, pretty sure there was a kanji I didn't learn.
 Nice!! Hmm... would you say it got impossibly fast too fast or at a decently challenging pace?
As for the kanji, I thought I put in a thing that makes sure items that aren't unlocked are not used, but I will check again and see if I messed something up in there. It is quite possible!

Congratulations on all your scores! :D You guys are awesome for playing with this!
Impossible to get a streak at least lol

I had to actually focus on dodging everything, not even checking if the food was the right one or not. Then I gave up and wanted to lose just to see the score but it actually took me some time to lose all the lives, so I think I could've gotten one or two levels further if I'd tried but not getting more than 1 streak (if not lucky, of course).

And I still think I didn't know that kanji... but maybe it's the font or something, as in the case of 直. I learned this one with the Lion radical but neither here (using IME) nor at the game it had the Lion on it. I can't even tell you the meaning/reading of the kanji because I kept dodging everything while trying to recognize it, until the timer got to 0 and another word popped lol

How much time did it take you to make it? It's really impressive.

Breathless said...Impossible to get a streak at least lol

I had to actually focus on dodging everything, not even checking if the food was the right one or not. Then I gave up and wanted to lose just to see the score but it actually took me some time to lose all the lives, so I think I could've gotten one or two levels further if I'd tried but not getting more than 1 streak (if not lucky, of course).

And I still think I didn't know that kanji... but maybe it's the font or something, as in the case of 直. I learned this one with the Lion radical but neither here (using IME) nor at the game it had the Lion on it. I can't even tell you the meaning/reading of the kanji because I kept dodging everything while trying to recognize it, until the timer got to 0 and another word popped lol

How much time did it take you to make it? It's really impressive.
 Ah :O erm, well, it might be the font. They are very brushy in this, but on WK its not at all. I used to have that problem too when learning hiragana and then seing weird fonts of it too. It is definitely something to throw one off.
As for how long it takes to kill oneself... that is an issue... it might be a good idea to add a give-up button or something for people who really want to sneak out. :D Thats actually a great problem you enlightened me to!

And it took a little less than a week(give or take a few days) to put together: code, sounds, graphics, and all.  Mainly because I'm still a programming novice, and I'll do anything to avoid drawing at any given time. XD  But I did it! And its exciting!

This is baller お疲れ様でした。

Cute game! I really like it. The only problem is I can’t figure out how to avoid eating the bad ones 

Thank you for adding a pause button! I’ve gotten further than last time; now everything is super fast. @.@ This is also good for speed reading Hiragana. XD

I’d suggest making an “end game” button, if you have time. Sometimes I have too many lives stocked up but I still want to see my stats at the end. 

WK needs to be smaller:( it is way too hard to evade crap you dont wanna eat even at the very start

Qalamity said... Thank you for adding a pause button! I've gotten further than last time; now everything is super fast. @.@ This is also good for speed reading Hiragana. XD

I'd suggest making an "end game" button, if you have time. Sometimes I have too many lives stocked up but I still want to see my stats at the end. 
Ahh! I'm glad its of use. As for the End game button, that was mentioned before, but I guess I forgot to write it down on the list of things to work on, but I added it to the list now so I don't forget!  :-)

Apraxas said... WK needs to be smaller:( it is way too hard to evade crap you dont wanna eat even at the very start
 I haven't heard this one yet. I'm a little skeptical because I dont have an issue with it and i fear it might become too easy if I make him smaller(but I'm also skeptical of my skepticism because i played with it so much while making it and am therefore biased on the matter). I'll make a note of it and see if I can get more opinions on this issue just to be sure, and hopefully it turns out to be an issue that is best to be modified. :-)

Maltose said...
Apraxas said... WK needs to be smaller:( it is way too hard to evade crap you dont wanna eat even at the very start
 I haven't heard this one yet. I'm a little skeptical because I dont have an issue with it and i fear it might become too easy if I make him smaller(but I'm also skeptical of my skepticism because i played with it so much while making it and am therefore biased on the matter). I'll make a note of it and see if I can get more opinions on this issue just to be sure, and hopefully it turns out to be an issue that is best to be modified. :-)
Hmm, I don't have too many issues towards the beginning when I am playing. I struggled with it at first but I began to learn ways to avoid the food items after a bit of playing. It does become a problem when the food items speed up, however. On the other hand, I usually have so many lives that it becomes difficult for the game to end even when it's impossible to dodge food items. XD; 

If you don't mind, I'd suggest making it harder to gain lives as the food items speed up; otherwise, I honestly end up trying to keep my  lives low so I can end the game to see my stats. Or maybe something like that... I'd like the game to be a bit more challenging so It becomes more of a penalty if I eat the wrong food item.

Of course; no rush at all. XD I still love them game. <3

That was really hard. Maybe I don’t know my kanji as well as I think I do…