Little API Review Mini-game page

My first web project thingy since the AOL CD days. I learned a lot about the internet this year and wanted to prove it. Thus this little app was made!~
The app itself is not much, and there is definitely room for improvement, but its a time passer~ Also, its filled with pretty sounds, so all you kids who aren't on Riddlin yet will really get a kick out of this or something.

How to Play
  • Enter your API key* into the box, press enter key*** or submit button and then wait!
  • When you get an alert with the acceptance of your special-star of an API key, you can start playing! 
  • Type in romaji (or if you have an IME option on your computer, you can use that) and submit for the reading. Type in english meaning** for... the antido--.. er... meaning.
  • If you get it correct, The great Wakababby will vomit a disgusting, and somewhat seductive breath-ray and destroy the poorly-planned "enemy".
  • If you get it wrong, you lose health. If you lose all your health, you die and are given a random message with your meager score.
  • Concerning items you will see attacking, all unlocked vocabulary is attacking you and Wakababby-san. GOOD LUCK AT YOUR ENDLESS BATTLE, SOLDIER.

*Wtf is an API key?!
Its a magic series of text that allows me to get really angry when SOP laws deter my goals.
Don't know where your API key is? Sucks to be you... Here, let me help:
http://www.wanikani.com/account
May I check for polyps while I'm up there?

**Peculiarities
The game is very strict about spelling errors. I've figured out how to make the different meanings and readings available for you to use, but spelling leniency is its own special beast that I haven't gotten around to. Honestly, I don't care about how well your speling is or how good your grammar are, but the game I jury-rigged does.

***Problems
Like anything anyone does, this has its quirks~ It was made on(and I guess for) Google Chrome. So function on other browsers is iffy~
  • IE: occasionally visually glitchy
  • Firefox: I don't know, I'm not an elitist net-hipster.
  • Other: Again, don't know, I am very unworldly.

Anyways, that's it~ Please do enjoy!!
If you feel like competing against others, which I know most of you on WK can't seem to resist, feel free to post your proudest score on here to make your peers feel less-good about themselves or something.

P.S.

Like the sprites? Have a little baby version of the Wakababby sprites. :)
 ![](upload://kCghmA5wudSeofYFP4hzdz073WN.gif) ![](upload://i4s6r6X4Gd8pJFhi6jD6n2aRSyS.gif)
They are also on the WK fanart Thread, which is contributed to by lovely users like you:
/t/Wanikani-Art-Jam-anyone/306/1

UPDATES AND FIXES:
  • (3 Jul 2013) Fixed the Enter-key issue. One can press enter when entering in the text-box in IE, Chrome, and Firefox with ease! 
  • (13 Jul 2013) Cookies system to Save API key for a while, 7 days for testies at the moment,  intend to lengthen if demand is strong
  • (13 Dec 2013), Fixed the API update ProblemShould work okayish again now on this game too. Sorry about that guys!

This is pretty cool!  I was getting all stressed out until I realized there was no time pressure.  This might be an option to consider in the future for the truly competitive out there, but it seemed to work as advertised when I tried it on Chrome.  Thanks!  (I think…  Now I have another great little time waster…)

Cant wait to try out after work!

atazg said... This is pretty cool!  I was getting all stressed out until I realized there was no time pressure.  This might be an option to consider in the future for the truly competitive out there, but it seemed to work as advertised when I tried it on Chrome.  Thanks!  (I think...  Now I have another great little time waster...)
 Ah!! Yeah I should have mentioned that, there is no time pressure. :D  Anyways, I'm glad its working for you too. I hope you continue enjoying wasting your time with it!!~ <3

Haha, I love it! Very well done. I have it bookmarked next to my other WK related pages. I played it and didn’t have any issues. 

One thing I would like to see is a challenge mode or something, where there is either a time limit for each question. Or a timer where the quicker you answer, the more points you get (EX. 10 points if you answer 2-5 seconds, 20 points for <2 seconds, 5 points for 5+).

Ooooooooooooooh!

Solmors said... Haha, I love it! Very well done. I have it bookmarked next to my other WK related pages. I played it and didn't have any issues. 

One thing I would like to see is a challenge mode or something, where there is either a time limit for each question. Or a timer where the quicker you answer, the more points you get (EX. 10 points if you answer 2-5 seconds, 20 points for <2 seconds, 5 points for 5+).
 Ahh, thank you! I keep thinking this was too hokey for people to really enjoy, but guess not!~ sweet~
Also, that would be an interesting development! I'mma have to keep studying my jquery and stuff and see if I can macguyver something up concerning it... HMM~...

Hah this is good fun :slight_smile: You could do a time attack mode where you don’t lose lives for missing but you have to hit as many as possible in an allotted time. (Maybe missing some words brings the time down a little and getting them right gives you a little extra time)
If you really wanted to geek out on it you could even make the time attack multiplayer and put live leader boards in ^^ (am I getting too excited here? I’m a videos games developer, I always try to over complicate things, it’s in my job description :-p)

Solmors said... Haha, I love it! Very well done. I have it bookmarked next to my other WK related pages. I played it and didn't have any issues. 

Whoops, already been said, definitely make it multiplayer then ^^
simonw88 said...

I'm not sure about how I would make it multiplayer with my novice js knowledge, but I did originally try implementing a score board like that for people to compare other user scores on. The problem with it, though, was that javascript's I/O abilities lacked the O part. I would like to figure out how to get that to work eventually. I think that would definitely make it more enjoyable for many, especially with a timed mode involved.
As for getting it to work, one step at a time. :-) 次々。
Maltose said...
simonw88 said...

I'm not sure about how I would make it multiplayer with my novice js knowledge, but I did originally try implementing a score board like that for people to compare other user scores on. The problem with it, though, was that javascript's I/O abilities lacked the O part. I would like to figure out how to get that to work eventually. I think that would definitely make it more enjoyable for many, especially with a timed mode involved.
As for getting it to work, one step at a time. :-) 次々。
 So once you get better js knowledge, you should make it multiplayer where every time one person answers the other person gets another word.
Time said... So once you get better js knowledge, you should make it multiplayer where every time one person answers the other person gets another word.
 hahaha oh gosh, dude. People would destroy their computers with rage when somebody ninja's their answer. ahhaha
Maltose said...
Time said... So once you get better js knowledge, you should make it multiplayer where every time one person answers the other person gets another word.
 hahaha oh gosh, dude. People would destroy their computers with rage when somebody ninja's their answer. ahhaha
 Just like when you get another hundred reviews. grrr

It is only for vocab correct?

Failed a few times :/. Very cute, though.

Tinchen said... It is only for vocab correct?

Failed a few times :/. Very cute, though.

Correct, just vocab! Also, unfortunately, its extremely strict with what you type in for meanings. I think if I alter anything to make it better, that should be  one of the first parts on the list.

If you have your own webspace (which I assume you do?) or at least have access to one, you can write a little php script that accepts incoming “POST” data and have JavaScript (in particular jQuery) AJAX call to the script. jQuery uses a function called .ajax(). Look up the API for it on the jQuery website for useage if you need to&nbsp;.<br>So a simple way to achieve this would be:<br><br>1) user finishes level/game, submits score (JavaScript function handles this)<br>2) score gets passed to php script using .ajax()
3) php script can use _POST to retrieve the score and do with it what you will. (Save to a live scores text file, or write to a database.<br><br>To retrieve scores do the same again, have php get the data however you feel most comfortable and use .ajax() to this time retrieve the data and have php “echo” the score as a string or look up the “json_encode” function if you really want to make it JavaScript compatible :slight_smile:

Disregard all of the above if you know all of this already and I apologise. ^^ if not then I hope this is somewhat helpful!

This is a great little game, thanks for making it! :slight_smile: One other thing I’d like to suggest if it’s there’s some way to save the API key on the page itself - not necessarily in the game as I’m not too sure how much JS would like doing that, but maybe on the actual webpage itself as sort of like “Welcome back xyz, here is your API key, now go out there and slaughter some vocab!”

simonw88 said... If you have your own webspace (which I assume you do?) or at least have access to one, you can write a little php script that accepts incoming "POST" data and have JavaScript (in particular jQuery) AJAX call to the script. jQuery uses a function called $.ajax(). Look up the API for it on the jQuery website for useage if you need to .
So a simple way to achieve this would be:

1) user finishes level/game, submits score (JavaScript function handles this)
2) score gets passed to php script using $.ajax()
3) php script can use $_POST to retrieve the score and do with it what you will. (Save to a live scores text file, or write to a database.

To retrieve scores do the same again, have php get the data however you feel most comfortable and use $.ajax() to this time retrieve the data and have php "echo" the score as a string or look up the "json_encode" function if you really want to make it JavaScript compatible :)

Disregard all of the above if you know all of this already and I apologise. ^^ if not then I hope this is somewhat helpful!
 Hey :D I actually did try most of this as one of the initial attemps with the board, the reading of the file did work, but its the re-recording that didnt(which is where the php came into), but since this isn't soley hosted on my local drive anymore, I might give that a retry and find it works a lot better. 

sarahkaye said... This is a great little game, thanks for making it! :) One other thing I'd like to suggest if it's there's some way to save the API key on the page itself - not necessarily in the game as I'm not too sure how much JS would like doing that, but maybe on the actual webpage itself as sort of like "Welcome back xyz, here is your API key, now go out there and slaughter some vocab!"
 ahaha I'm loving all these suggestions. This was actually another thing I was initially hoping to put in eventually, but I'm not yet sure how to go bout it. I think each browser has its own system... like chrome has a storage feature, if I remember, and IE with its love of delicious cookies... There are surely options though to explore! :D

‘ti’ needs to be recognized for ち.  Failed several due to that habit lol (similarly ‘tu’ for つ, if its not already… keepin’ it real with the 五十音順 romanization!)

Viet also noted a bit ago that the (current) matching algorithm is called Levenshtein distance and he even helpfully noted the numbers they use in this post.  Or at least the numbers they used at the time of that post but I haven’t noticed much difference in the past few weeks.

The algorithm doesn’t look terribly complex going by a quick review of that Wikipedia page… so if yer feeling ambitious, there’s something else to add in!

Maltose said... Hey :D I actually did try most of this as one of the initial attemps with the board, the reading of the file did work, but its the re-recording that didnt(which is where the php came into), but since this isn't soley hosted on my local drive anymore, I might give that a retry and find it works a lot better. 
Well in which case go crazy :D that would be a good measure for those competitive enough to play for leaderboard positions!