Shikimori san is not just a cute (可愛いだけじゃない式守さん)is great for learning

I have been actively searching for immersion material around my level (about beginner-intermediate) and I recently stumbled across (可愛いだけじゃない式守さん). The spoken language in this anime is surprisingly easy, and with Japanese subtitles, even easier to understand. The first episode introduces the main character Izumi, and his girlfriend Shikimori, and their high school entrance ceremony. The language used in the first episode was easy to understand, and didn’t use extensive vocabulary (Which is my weak point). In episodes 1-3 I surprisingly could understand roughly 75-80% of the spoken language in those episodes, and mind you my Japanese language recognition usually is roughly anywhere from 25-40%. I highly recommend this anime for easy listening practice, and I intend to continue watching this anime myself. Has anyone read the manga, and if so is the level of Japanese similar? Also for those of you who are currently reading the manga, how is it?

4 Likes

I have read the first volume (and then stopped because I hope for it to be selected for the Absolute Beginner’s Book Club, though I do have the second volume, and absolutely intend to continue at some point!).

I found it incredibly easy to read. The only things that were a bit difficult are some of the in-between chapter stuff because they can be handwritten, which makes it a little more difficult. Generally speaking, the manga will be even easier than the anime, imo, though, because you can take your time instead of being beholden to their speaking pace.

If you want a little more detail on my thoughts on the manga, you can refer to the nomination post in the ABBC I posted for it!

Okay sweet, I’ll look into that. I’ve been looking for manga which would be easy to read considering my impressively minuscule amount of vocabulary and Kanji. I’m currently on an exchange, and there’s a manga store really close to the train station I take to school everyday. The store is huge with a very large selection, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find any manga I get recommended. Thank you for the reply!

1 Like

You’re very welcome. There are a few book clubs here on WK that are worth checking out besides the Absolute Beginner’s, if you’re looking for something a little more difficult, also. There’s the Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced book clubs as well! They might be worth checking out as you start to become more comfortable reading more difficult things! I started with the ABBC here, and now have joined at least one IBC club (and started reading another IBC pick on my own time, as well). Reading in a group makes things that you might not be able to read on your own attainable, because there are lots of lovely folks here who are willing to answer questions! :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.