🍃 Shenmue Tree - a Study "Lounge!" 🍂

I hope you feel better fast! That sounds awful :frowning:
I will try and knock out some よつばと. I couldn’t do any yesterday because the fatigue hit about 4pm and I was useless. Wound up playing pokemon black and doki doki literature club instead :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Self-care is super important! (as I would tell my patients :wink:) just do what you can!

@Beyond_Sleepy If you feel like you want to move on with :four_leaf_clover: , I think @crmsnprincess89 and I could stay at the same page. It just seems you are somewhat more advanced in your grammar understanding, but I know that you would be of supreme help to us along the way! If you feel like you want our pace, then we can all be happy together :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m happy going at the pace we’ve set :blush:

Heh, I kind of doubt that I am tho. With your Cure Dolly note taking I believe you have more explicit grammar knowledge than me at the moment (imma try to catch up tho), I’m just good at googling + applying my intuition based on context clues. Like, Yamitenshi’s long post above basically confirmed a lot of my translation choices but I could never have explained any of it in terms of the grammar (well, like you I do see ない and think negation).

Something I think helps me is having read a lot of manga in English, including Azuma Kiyohiko’s previous series Azumanga Daioh, + having watched a lot of subbed anime which gives me some vague but helpful associations to some of the colloquial forms just from having listened to a lot of spoken Japanese.

1 Like

Oh, I take notes! It doesn’t mean I retain what she’s taught me :laughing:

See, this is a true sign of a language learner. I heard one time that language learning is a lot like mathematics - those good at math are often good at languages! My WORST subject ever is math. Ever. In life. I can write papers like a boss, but don’t give me numbers or tests :joy:

Yes that’s why I didn’t get back to you, I was already far too embarrassed at my poor attempt at reading yesterday! But, I was happy I got one thing fairly correct :slight_smile: @yamitenshi is THE BEST!

VERY interesting. Yes, aside from :four_leaf_clover: being my first manga ever (in Japanese for that matter), my only anime experience is: Dragon Ball Z, Trigun, Pokemon, Sailor Moon (some), DECADES AGO. I loved them, but I am definitely not in the groove of content that many are with this genre!

3 Likes

Deciphering

Sounds like my early days.

4 Likes

:joy:

Just looking at the background of that girl is like looking at the stars and wondering what the heck they are!

2 Likes

A Japanese person would probably say お大事に instead.

(One issue with HiNative is that sometimes they only answer the question that was actually asked, rather than the question that should have been asked.)

Edit: Well, just to prove me wrong, a character in the drama I’m watching literally just said 早く良くなってね…

4 Likes

HAHA! Belthazar, you are great! Yet, you should show your empathetic side a bit more often :slight_smile: It’s there! Look for it!

2 Likes

:dango: Bedtime :dango:

2 Likes

Interesting! I can see the parallels, in a way, and now that I think about it I do think my approach to both (as rudimentary as my understanding of math overall is) is roughly the same :thinking: just with vocab learning for languages :smile:

I see the brainwashing has worked :joy: just happy to help, and cement my own understanding in the process :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, I found that one too, which is one reason I was thinking 良くなって might have been just a literal translation of “get well” without the person answering the question understanding what “get well” means in English, but it was repeated in so many sources I figured there must have been something to it.

Nah, just whack me in the face unceremoniously with corrections and additions, I don’t do well with sugar coating :smile:

1 Like

:laughing: I am easily brainwashed, however!!

I like this approach! I’m just trying to protect my 先生!!! :bowing_man:

1 Like

Today I woke up to 43 reviews, most of which went to guru and made 9 lesson babies that I just did! This is the rest of my day, and I have to say, it is probably the first day in 10 days that I’ll have done less than 100-200+ reviews in a day!

Screenshot 2022-01-16 7.53.51 AM

My apprentice pile is now down to 80! But I’m still not wanting to level up just yet, so my plan is to keep these 4 kanji in apprentice! I know I could just level up and sit on lessons… but that scares me for some reason :laughing:

This looks a lot more normal than it used to when I was using the SSQ all the time! I approve of this slower pace very much - A+!

1 Like

I’m not terribly good at mathematics, but it’s basically following a set of predefined operations to their logical conclusion. In the beginning stages of learning grammar (before you internalize it) you are basically trying to follow a set of predefined operations (i.e. the rules of grammar) and deriving a logical conclusion from it. So I think mathematicians are well equipped to learn and follow grammar rules, which may give them a quicker start to any language learning journey they embark on:)

But that’s not how I’ve been approaching grammar so far.

2 Likes

I think my brain needs some untangling when it comes to what grammar actually is still. I’m afraid to go past Cure Dolly 6 because I feel stuck. I’d love to start MNN and see if it helps with some of my tangled mess. I can identify some really basic things, but they’re never fully understood by me. When people so generously spend their time giving me a breakdown, I end up understanding them but also adding more questions in my head! I don’t know, again, I think my brain is pretty tangled still, and once I start to create a little bit more of the basic foundation of Japanese grammar, perhaps it will be easier to build on top of that??

2 Likes

I’m approaching learning Japanese with an approximation of the refold roadmap. They recommend against trying to memorize grammar, one should rather spend 10-20 minutes a day studying grammar (no more) and leave the rest to immersion, they say. So I’m giving this a go:)

As for Cure Dolly, when I got to lesson 17 I just watched one episode per day just to be exposed to the ideas and gain a rough awareness that they exist, that way it won’t be so daunting when I inevitably have to look them up later. But that was close to a year ago, and I didn’t reinforce any of it through immersion so I’m starting from scratch again.

2 Likes

Oh wow neat! I like this a lot!

Yeah I was just so overwhelmed with lesson 6… my thoughts have always been to take notes, but perhaps I should do 1 lesson a day, repeating some a few days in a row to get that exposure.

I’m feeling better today, so I’m just hoping I get back into a groove overall!

2 Likes

:four_leaf_clover:

Here's my Yotsuba attempt for today!

Page 20 - 1/16/22

あっしたからーなっつやっすみー

“From tomorrow it’s summer vacation”

(あしたからなつやすみ)

(Since she seems to be singing this, I took out the っ and ー , and it seemed to make some more sense).

ん?

“Huh?”

Page 21 - 1/16/22

誰かな?

Who’s this?

この辺じゃ見ない子だ

This area around here has a child who is not looked after (struggled here).

なんかかわった外国のこ (mistakenly thought this was a Yotsuba thought bubble… :sweat_smile:)

Things in this foreign country are kind of strange…?

それに

Also…

なにしてんだろう
I wonder what she thinks she’s doing…

It was fairly shorter than the previous few pages, though still quite challenging! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

じゃ is an abbreviation for では. 見ない is just plain old “to not see”. “I haven’t seen that child around here [before]”.

That’s two sentences. なんかかわった “She looks kinda strange” 外国の子? “Is she a foreign kid?”

3 Likes

じゃ is short for では, which in turn is just で with a topic marker for extra emphasis.

So:
この辺 - this area
この辺で - in this area (as a place for the verb)
この辺では - in this area (as a place for the verb - with extra emphasis to emphasis it’s this place specifically as opposed to another place)

When a verb phrase directly precedes a noun, it can be a descriptor for said noun, so the whole phrase この辺じゃ見ない is a descriptor for 子: a kid I haven’t seen in this neighborhood.

Normally I’d phrase that as この辺じゃ見たことない子 (〜たことない is used to express someone hasn’t done/experienced something before) but I guess this is even more colloquial? Not entirely sure to be honest, but the meaning is contextually clear anyway.

There’s a split between these two as indicated by the ellipses, it’s two sentences:

なんかかわった…
外国の子…?

なんか just means “kind of”, かわった means different in the sense of “unusual” or “strange”, so she’s thinking “she’s kind of strange”

外国の子 just means “a foreign kid”

So she’s just wondering if Yotsuba is maybe a foreign kid because she looks kind of unusual.

You’ll see this one pop up a lot in manga :smile:

I notice you didn’t include a translation for it, but just in case: it’s a sort of confounded “what the hell is XX doing” - in this case because Yotsuba is pushing a swing and it whacks her in the face

EDIT: I’ve been ninja’d! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

This is where my brain wanted to go! It makes more sense overall, but one of the translations I found said something about “attending to” so I thought maybe she was commenting on the fact she was alone :sweat_smile:

Ah I see. I also thought these were Yotsuba’s thought bubbles, I am so new to Manga that because the bubbles were in a box only with her I just interpreted what I was trying to read from her perspective.

Thank you Belthazar! :slight_smile: :bowing_man:

2 Likes