Say Something About The Kanji Above You

Doing some four 'o clock thinking eh? I love 四字熟語 any time of day though! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
十人十色(じゅう・にん・と・いろ)is also a good one; meaning something like “to each their own”.
And there’s an alternative version that ups the numbers: 千人千色(せん・にん・せん・しょく)。

No need to be coy about it; I have a real soft spot for kanji with the heart radical. Romance happens to be one of those lovely kanji that you can combine with ones that have similar meanings, like love(愛)to create something… well, similar, like “love” 恋愛れんあい :face_with_monocle: (how fuzzy).

Still, this is a versatile character that’s easy to remember, thanks to a consistent reading as:
a noun こい
a verb こいする
an adjective こいしい

It also has a very nice older version:
Which makes me think of literally binding your words to your heart, with strings. Probably the most enjoyable part of learning Japanese, for me, is all this imagination and creativity in writing.
Sooo, let’s continue throwing hearts around:

2 Likes

We know this is pronounced そうbecause it has 相 in the kanji.

Here is my pseudo 四字熟語(よじじゅくご) for this kanji. It trips from the tongue very nicely.
(そう)(ぞう)(にん)(しん) false pregnancy

Weirdly, jisho lists a whole bunch of Ringo Starr and George Harrison songs and albums with this kanji in the title:
想い出のリヴァプール
想いは果てなく〜母なるイングランド
想い出を映して
想い出のフォトグラフ

I only ever saw (おも)() not (おも)().

()

2 Likes

This is part of the 寺 group of characters, which are thankfully pretty well-behaved about having an 音読み of じ (except for that weirdo 待).

The bit on the left is 日 (sun, day), so it’s not much of a stretch to get from there to the actual meaning of time, hour.

In English the words “time” and “hour” are pretty easy to distinguish while reading, but in Japanese both concepts can be written with 時, so you end up having to use context to figure out which sense is intended.

What is the next kanji?

3 Likes

I am pretty sure the first Japanese word I learned or used was なに? I picked it up from watching things, and later found that it works nicely as a vague general question word.

This kanji depicts a person carrying a load, and was the original form of the kanji 荷, which still denotes cargo. 何 then came to be used for “what” because of its sound.

This kanji is used in so many expressive ways (most of which are just written in kana) that it is hard to know where to start. But here is a common expression that I don’t remember ever hearing:

(なに)(かく)そう to tell you the truth, to be frank

I was going to go with 隠next, but instead I’ll go with

3 Likes

When Japan’s simplified 新字体しんじたい kanji were created, those simplifications were only officially applied to kanji in the 当用漢字とうようかんじ list (later replaced by the 常用漢字じょうようかんじ list).

For example, the character (dragon) was simplified to , and the character (waterfall) was simplified to , but the character (basket) was not officially simplified, because it was not on the list.

Nevertheless, some people chose to create simplified versions of non-Tōyō/Jōyō kanji, following the obvious patterns used in the official simplifications. So characters like came into existence anyway.

What’s peculiar in this case is that the character 籠 was later added to the Jōyō list, in its traditional form. So it’s an example of a simplified/traditional pair where the traditional form is on the list, and the simplified form is not, which is the opposite of the usual situation.

Here’s another late addition to the Jōyō kanji:

4 Likes

That was quite the kicker; scared us all away. :sweat_smile: I’ve known words with this one in it since I was 7 years old, but I’ve never remembered the kanji, nor the on’yomi (シャク・シユウ)

前蹴りまえげり= front kick

横蹴りよこげり = horizontal side kick

回し蹴りまわしげり = roundhouse kick

後ろ蹴りうりろげり = backwards kick (not to be confused with the other 下痢げり

And today I learned:
蹴飛ばすけとばす = to kick [and send flying], also: to reject [completely]

Plus an alternative writing: Might like this one better actually.

Let’s do more 飛 next

4 Likes

The Shang Dynasty oracle bone predecessor of the character 飛 is a bit of a mystery, but it has been suggested that it represents birds flying in the distance (not unlike how we often doodle gulls as little m:s).

Its shape changed quite a lot by the (Chinese) Warring States period, and is thought to represent a bird spreading its wings and heading upwards (presumably, the bottom bit are its tail feathers).
From there, the character appears to have transitioned gradually into the character we know today.

Let’s follow up with … 習

4 Likes

I have always thought that this is an attractive kanji. It is nice too that its meaning is still close to what is pictured. Two feathers (wings) flapping in the sky with the sun (now the white radical). Hence a bird learning to fly, practicing.

The 訓読(くんよ)み for this kanji has always been especially easy for me. I just think of all of the things that I learned from our student guide in 奈良(なら).

What I did not know that I have been hearing this kanji spoken each day when I listen to news broadcasts about 中国(ちゅうごく)(しゅう)(きん)(ぺい)国家(こっか)主席(しゅせき). (Chinese head of state Xi Jinping)

4 Likes

せき is a seat, either literal or conceptual.

Don’t confuse it with the similar-looking (degrees, times), or the semantically-similar (sit).

Some relatively-literal compounds include:

• 着席 (taking a seat, sitting down)
  • 客席 (guest seat, passenger seat, spectator seat)

Some less-literal compounds include:

• 出席 (attendance)
  • 欠席 (non-attendance)

This one can be either:

• 空席 (empty seat, vacant post)

The next kanji is related:

4 Likes

This is a pictogram of a person with the buttocks highlighted.

Only in Japan could we have words like:
尻目(しりめ) a faceless ghost with an eye in its butt
尻子玉(しりこだま) the mythical ball in your butt that is desired by 河童(かっぱ)

However we do get the game 尻取(しりと)り too.

While on the topic, google translates “asshole” as お下衆野郎(げすやろう) sleezebag, asshole, shithead, lowlife

3 Likes

I had come across this kanji even before WK, through watching Japanese speedruns of the game 隻狼せきろう. One of the major characters is 葦名あしな弦一郎げんいちろう, so you get to see his name appear at certain points.

Indeed, 郎 is a very common suffix for male given names. If you see a name that ends in 〜ろう, there’s a decent chance that it uses this character. And if it ends in 〜たろう, there’s a decent chance that it uses 太郎.

A few more examples of names:

• 一郎いちろう
  • 慶太郎けいたろう
  • 敬太郎けいたろう
  • 承太郎じょうたろう やれやれ

The next kanji is one that I mentioned at the start of this post:

2 Likes

Basically:

A single bird, sitting on one’s hand.*

As ‘one half’ of a pair, 隻 is (naturally) related to 雙 >> 双 a pair. It also generally means “one / single / alone”, which probably explains how it ended up in the name of the game, seeing as how it’s inspired by「子連れ狼」Lone Wolf and Cub. For some reason I went looking for it in yoji, and found: 斗酒隻鶏(としゅせきけい)“a barrel of sake and a single chicken” … Apparently this has to do with funeral services and memorial offerings in the long-long-ago, and thus expresses a sense of mourning or condolences over the loss of a friend.

Perhaps even more surprisingly, it is a counter for boats, cars, as well as some animals.

*-- Little bird gets caught in a net sometimes:

2 Likes

I get the ‘below populace bastard’ part, but why oh WHY does it have the polite お at the start?

2 Likes

Is it actually that common for it to appear with お?

3 Likes

I could talk about how this nominally means gauze, but the much more exciting fact is that this kanji shows up in the name of 神羅しんら電気動力でんきどうりょく株式会社かぶしきがいしゃ, also known as the Shinra Electric Power Company.

Shinra’s advanced 魔晄炉まこうろ (Mako reactors) bring electricity to brighten the lives of all the inhabitants of Midgar. Pay no attention to the pesky eco-terrorists who claim that they are exhausting the life energy of the planet.

Next up:

3 Likes

Luckily, google tells me how to get to Midgar:

Their power plant looks truly terrifying. :slight_smile: And ticket prices have gone up. If only anyone would take a US passport right now.

All that I have to say about 爆 is that the kanji has not changed much over the centuries: image
Observe that 火and 暴,( violent, depicting according to one source a salivating savage deer), both contribute to the meaning of this kanji. The 暴 gives the ばく reading to words like (ばく), 爆発(ばくはつ), 爆弾(ばくだん), 爆破(ばくは), 爆笑(ばくしょう).

I am disappointed in the Japanese in that of all of the ways they might choose to creatively and metaphorically use the idea of a bomb detonating, the only one that they use is this boorish one, 爆乳(ばくにゅう).

Now I am stuck leaving you this one:

2 Likes

I thought it was the opposite? Or at the very least, 暴 might be both phonetic and semantic, but 火 is semantic. 暴 shares the ばく reading, though it’s less common. For instance, in 暴露, ばくろ.

2 Likes

You are right. Really, both parts of the kanji contribute to the meaning, but only the 暴 part contributes to the voicing.

2 Likes

I think this one is interesting. If you can really use your imagination, I think you can picture a child being breastfed in this kanji. The 子 is the child, the “cleat” radical is the mother’s breast, and the “umbrella” radical is the mother’s arm holding the child in position. I haven’t seen this one in WK yet, but I have it seen it used many times in my textbooks and language learning apps, particularly in 牛乳. Sometimes I think that the learning order of WK is so weird, considering that we learn kanji like 努 and 局 early, which I find to be rarely used in WK and in the wild. That’s just off the top of my head though, there are probably some more.

Here’s one of my leeches.

3 Likes

局 is ranked #286 for frequency in newspapers (i.e. it’s really common), and is also part of common words like 結局 and 郵便局, but I guess you haven’t reached those in WaniKani yet.

努 isn’t uncommon, though it’s true that it mainly appears in one word (努力). But to be fair, that’s an extremely common word.

4 Likes