Restarting Wanikani?

Hi everyone. A year ago my WaniKani subscription ended and I decided to take a break from it because I had school exams. Now I’ve started learning Japanese again and I don’t know whether I should purchase a subscription again and reset it to level 1. What do you think I should do ?

4 Likes

You could test yourself to see how much you remember after restarting your subscription. If you don’t remember a lot, perhaps resetting to 5 could help. Resetting all the way to 1 might make for a really boring refresher

6 Likes

Hello, I would say it depends on how you feel about it. I mean, o you think you can remember most of the items you learnt ? Did you forget everything ? If you restart all and still remember a lot of it, it will be boring. Maybe you should restart just a few levels ?

2 Likes

ooh that’s a good way, tysm !

1 Like

alrighty, thanks a lot !

I’d go over the burned items and unburn the ones you don’t remember. The SRS will do the rest.

4 Likes

i’d be careful with that… it risks creating a huge review pile, which breaks the srs. if you unburn items, do it bit by bit.

2 Likes

Resetting to zero is probably a waste of time, as others have said. You probably remember a whole bunch from earlier levels, so the trick it see where your memory drops off. Luckily there are scripts that can help you.

I recommend using a re-order script to filter the huge review pile you should have. Start at the bottom levels, work your way up. That way you can pinpoint the level where your memory really drops off.

3 Likes

it depends on how much you remember as others have said but also on how fast you want to finish the kanji part of learning.

i reset from level 40 and i reset to 1 because i’m in no rush and just wanted a completely fresh start.

tbh, i’m finding it really satisfying. i take it much slower and it’s ok to remember a lot of it. it’s like re-reading a book for the second/third time: you have time to pay attention to the small details.

that’s just me though. i just thought you might also like to hear that kind of experience.

3 Likes

Thank for your input !!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.