Resources for Starting to Read Japanese Content

Oh, that’s still happening? That’s concerning…

Thanks for unwittingly tipping me off to the Breaking into Japanese Literature book @Toyger :wink: now I just need to sort out the Graded Reader section :sleepy:

1 Like

I think we should add a reference to Keeping track of your readings and https://bookmeter.com somewhere here, but I’m not sure where to put it.

2 Likes

I’m going to Kinokuniya next week in Austin. I have a vague idea of what to expect from their online site, but, for example I can’t really gather if they carry materials for the japanese learner, readers, reference, etc.

I’m at the graded reader level so I guess I’m hoping they’ll have some there, but if not I suppose I’ll thumb through some manga looking for something that catches my eye and just hold it until I can read it.

Any thoughts?

Pick up some of the manga from past or upcoming book clubs and read along!

1 Like

Good point! I’ll gather up the titles and throw em on my list.

Edit: Oh look someone made it easy: Master List of Book Clubs

6 Likes

The one here in Sydney does. Actually, there’s even a section in the Japanese department specifically filled with Japanese books for people learning Japanese. And another one with JLPT reference materials and study guides.

2 Likes

Agreed, and I also don’t know where :grin: the manga tracking site too. Given that the book club section will eventually shrink, perhaps they could go in there as a sort of community thing?

@tombo sounds like you’ll be able to find some graded readers if it’s similar to the one in Sydney, but if not, you could also try looking for graded books for Japanese kids; similar to the naze doushite one.

1 Like

Funny story: when I went to buy this for the book club, they had the first-year volume and the third-year volume, but not the second-year. I had to order it special.

Though, these books were located in the “Hobbies” section of Japanese department, for some reason. Not completely sure what “Hobbies” means in this context, to be honest.

2 Likes

Let me look into why the topics in the API subforum are still closing. If we can get that straightened out, I’ll ask the other admins about giving the Reading section the same rule.

7 Likes

Any word on this? Perhaps it’s time for someone on the staff to ask on meta.discourse.org in the Support section.

I found two threads in the API section that demonstrate the issue.

Says it will close: Interest in a Userscript for separate drilling of kanji onyomi and kunyomi?

Doesn’t say it will close: [Userscript] Burn Reviews (ver 2.2.5)

Looking at a few more examples, it looks like threads that were ported over from the old forums as set to never close, while threads created since then are still set to close.

Are the settings even set correctly for new topics? See image below. I have a feeling you guys ran a one time update on old/existing threads, but never updated that setting. No way for me to know for sure though.

3 Likes

@viet Can you double check the above setting when you get a chance?

We dove in and looked around. The settings for the API thread got messed up at some point, but we’ve fixed them and cleaned up the old threads — no open topics or new topics should get the timer. We also opened up all those closed topics, so that’s nice.

But! We aren’t going to leave the reading ones open. If there’s an old topic, people can start a new discussion and reference the old one. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Aye, I just got a notification of one of those.

Except, the old topics are still packed end to end with useful information. Making people start over with nothing, and quite possibly none of the people who were there the first time, would be like… I dunno, scrapping all of WaniKani and starting over, since it’s more than a year old.

4 Likes

I get what you’re saying but, in practice, if no one’s posted anything in that thread for at least a year, then that conversation probably isn’t getting a lot of action. And, like @oldbonsai mentioned, all those threads/posts can still be read and linked to.

If there’s ever a good case as to why a particular thread should be reopened instead of starting a new one, @ one of us mods or shoot us an email and we’d be happy to take a look.

2 Likes

@oldbonsai @CyrusS I doubt most people will create a separate topic to discuss an old book or know to reach out to get an old topic reopened. Auto-closing the old topics makes the book clubs less inviting, and makes us recommending previously selected books pointless.

4 Likes

Given that there are only 2 threads in the Reading section that are currently locked (both of which I’ve gone and unlocked), I think the auto-close timer may not be as restrictive as it seems.

I guess we’ll see in time. Some of the 魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) chapter threads are set to close soon, whereas others were commented in recently and will stay open for another whole year. I think it will create an odd mix of chapters being opened and closed. But I guess I can’t convince you at this point…

5 Likes

@Radish8
Can we add YesAsia as a source for purchasing physical books and LingQ as a web application for online reading?

1 Like

Sure! Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll add them this weekend once I get back home if they haven’t already been done :ok_hand: