Resources for Samurai/Period Language

I’m trying to play some games set in the Sengoku period, and needless to say, the characters use a lot of old-fashioned language.

I recognize stuff here and there from N2/N1 grammar (like all the use of +ねば), but a lot is unfamiliar to me. Does anybody know any good resources for this era/typical samurai speech patterns? Grammar resources/guides, vocab lists, anki decks, whatever you got, I’ll appreciate it!

2 Likes

I must admit most of my knowledge of classical Japanese I just picked up from anime over time but, imabi has an extensive section on classical grammar I’ve been meaning to get around to. Might be helpful for you too!

3 Likes

I think most samurai fiction uses a blend of modern and classical Japanese, as opposed to being a 100% accurate representation of how they would have spoken, so yeah, studying some classical grammar would help you.

4 Likes

This is exactly the kinda thing I’ve been looking for! Thank you so much :smiley: !

1 Like

Glad I could help! :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.