Resources for learning grammar about using で and を together?

Does anyone have any resource recommendations for learning about how to use で and を together correctly, specifically on the AをBでC structure? Tae Kim has this sentence

先生、今日は天気がいいですから, 授業を外でしましょう!

and I can’t figure out why it’s “授業を外でしましょう” and not “外で授業をしましょう” as everything I can find is of/on the AでBをC structure.

2 Likes

The particle is more important than the order (in simple sentences, at least). AでBをC is the same as BをAでC.

Here’s what Tae Kim has to say about sentence order

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/debunking-the-japanese-sentence-order-myth/

3 Likes

Yeah, since particles explicitly limit the function of the words they attach to, you can put them in various places to emphasize different things.

In English, word order itself determines the role words play, though there are still some things you can do to tweak things for nuance.

3 Likes

Generally the parts nearer to the verb are emphasized more. So in this case, I think 授業を外でしましょう puts more emphasis on the location. Like “Sensei, since the weather is nice today, let’s do class outside”.

I recommend reading this article:

9 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling the order might not strictly matter due to particles but was afraid of making that assumption lest I overlook a subtly that would hinder my understanding more complex sentences later.

I don’t think it would hurt your understanding of more complex sentences. You’ll just miss out on small subtleties if you don’t know what to look for.

The party will be held on April 4th at 8pm in the library.

• on Aprilt 4th
  • at 8pm
  • in the library
  • the party will be held

can all be switched around in any order. It’s kind of like that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.